Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  4ohm speakers in headrests - any problems?? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
4ohm speakers in headrests - any problems?? by fierosound
Started on: 01-25-2007 12:20 PM
Replies: 43
Last post by: fierosound on 11-03-2008 07:53 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I can't find the Clearwater speakers for Fiero. They are not listed on the Clearwater website.

Email them as ask for CWC-3F - these are the Fiero ones. I suppose they may add them to their website IF they get enough sales to warrant it, but basically they are known as a Miata accessory supplier.

IP: Logged
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
While the thread is still on the first page, my speakers are still working fine, and MAN are they nice for the 7-hour trips back and forth to school for breaks

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

85fiero_fanat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fiero_fanatSend a Private Message to 85fiero_fanatDirect Link to This Post
I have 4-ohm 2-ways (33rms/100max each) in my headrests running off a Pioneer head unit. They sound great at any volume, but I also keep the bass down, because 3.5's don't produce the greatest bass anyway. I have a sub for that. I ran them on an old Pioneer tape deck that rather than taking the face plate off, it had a handle that would pop up allowing you to take the deck out. Never had any problems with that deck either. Eventually I'll be doing something different in the fiero when I park it and do custom interior. Then the deck will go to my conquest where it won't be powering any speakers. I have a 4-channel amp and a 2-channel amp for the speakers and sub.

Newer high end decks are designed to withstand 2 ohm to 16 ohm loads (as are most amps). Not sure what old decks will withstand.

The Pioneer I'm using says this in the installation manual. "Speakers connected to this unit must be high-power with a minimum rating of 50 watts and impedance of 4 to 8 ohms. Connecting speakers with output and/or impedance values other than those noted here may result in the speakers catching fire, emitting smoke or becoming damaged."
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fiero_fanat:

The Pioneer I'm using says this in the installation manual. "Speakers connected to this unit must be high-power with a minimum rating of 50 watts and impedance of 4 to 8 ohms. Connecting speakers with output and/or impedance values other than those noted here may result in the speakers catching fire, emitting smoke or becoming damaged."

Yup, but I'm sure they were thinking a SINGLE 4 ohm speaker to each channel. When you're running TWO 4ohms speakers in parallel, the amp sees a 2ohm load. I'm not saying it's impossible - just probably not the best thing to do. If you fried the deck, I'm sure they wouldn't warranty it if they knew what caused it.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-03-2008).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock