ecotec swap by wftb
Started on: 11-16-2006 10:44 PM
Replies: 381
Last post by: wftb on 02-15-2009 12:57 PM
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
thanks .yes the cavalier key in the console box was really annoying .having to turn on the fiero key and then reaching behind your back to start the engine sucked .but that was only the first summer , and it was great to get the car running .
IP: Logged
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post

wftb

3692 posts
Member since Jun 2005
i gotta do it .I OWN PAGE 10 .......YAHOO
Twilight Fenrir

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

i got tired of trying to stuff everything under the old fiero centre glovebox so i built a new housing.gives me a place to mount the boost controller and boost guage .

Now, you just need to get a red back-light for that gauge, and make your car say, "Good Morning Dave" when you turn it on :P [/off-topic humor]
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
that is my old console that a friend of mine called "red neckish ".it looked terrible but i was in a hurry when i built it .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2009 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
got some paint on the centre console :

AEM guage type boost controller and new voltmeter :

i hope the paint will be hard enough to put it in the car tomorrow but it might have to sit a while .i have tomorrow off as well so i should be able to make the armrest pad .
i ordered a flushmount headlight kit from norms fibreglass .i tried to get a used one through the mall but got no replies .they must work OK if nobody wants to part with a set .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
got the new console in the car today .i pre-wired the guages and i was going to hook it all up but it is waaay below freezing right now so finishing it off and getting the new stereo in will have to wait .but at least i am getting to see what it is going to look like .my first attempt at the armrest pad was a flop so that is yet to do .i am thinking about a subwoofer to fancy it up a bit .

beer cans are for demo purposes only .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
centre console is finally done .

now i have to figure out how the boost controller works .i hate reading instructions .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2009 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
since i already had one lame pop up headlight and while have been working on the car this winter the other onecrapped out , i decided to order a set of flush mounts from norms fibreglass .took the old doors off and pulled out the old units .total weight of everything i am not using is around 17 lbs so there should be some weight savings here .
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2009 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
i got some rubber backed carpet squares from wal mart because they looked like they would make a nice arm rest pad for my console .they come in a package of 4 2' X 4' panels so i had enough to also carpet the bottom of my trunk .i took another picture that shows better how my exhaust is now tucked up out of the way where the bottom of my trunk used to be .there is a lot of debate over wether or no to keep the trunk stock or not .with an ecotec the exhaust comes out right where the stock muffler is .so the only way to retain the trunk area is with a custom header setup or a long and convaluted routing over the tranny and back the way the stock piping goes .but when you get back to where the stock muffler used to be there are now pipes in the way so you have to run a tube style muffler and you get the idea .the cleanest looking setup for ecotecs is Roger Thelins header setup that he sells .but it does not allow the use of a cat so i did not go that route .in the picture you can see how much higher the muffler sits above the bottom of the frame .and the cat is hidden above that .i have a layer of foil backed heat insulation under the carpet .it does get hot under the trunk .since the turbo is now bolted direct to the manifold i did not heat wrap any of the piping .

Fosgatecavy98

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2009 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Looking good, I didnt like your center console at first, but now it makes sense and is more practical, itd be very easy to moun a camera on top!
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2009 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
thanks . i think i am going to mount my gps there .along with the new cell phone laws ,the ontario goverment is banning anything that hangs off the windshield .
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
one thing i have not been happy with is the night lighting of my instrument cluster .in a cavalier with an ecotec , the instruments are led back lit .i have been trying to find which wire turns this feature on (and voltage involved )without success .so i found this LED strip at wal-mart :

it has a self adhesive back allowing me to mount it shining down on the cluster .the old way it was lit was just with some of the old bulbs that light the oem cluster .this worked , but caused too much windshield reflection .this setup should solve the problem :

it is coloured more blue than white .the flash takes the colour away .with the flash off it looks more blue than it really is :

here are some pics of how i mounted the cavalier cluster , i had to cut it down width wise and remove the clear plastic cover .i made a plexi cover that i mounted on some pieces of the old fiero mounts :

the back of the cluster where i screwed it to the fiero cluster surround :

this fiero piece is not re used but i have kept it so i can figure out what wire feeds what :

.i was missing the brake warning light so i added that while i had everything apart . i should have it all back together tomorow .still waiting on my flushmount headlights .
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
I like it!
Dave E Bouy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post
Hey wftb have you ever been to any of the SOFA events in and around London? I'd love to have a look at your swap sometime. We're having a dinner March 1st in Kitchener. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/074422.html It would be a bit of haul for ya but I'm coming from the Sarnia area. We'd love to have you come out!

Dave
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
i would really like to hook up with the SOFA group but i work 12 hour rotating shifts and the events just havent lined up with my schedule so far .this summer i will try to take some time off to go to one of the cruises .the dinner i would have been able to make but i will be in mexico....
Dave E Bouy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post

i would really like to hook up with the SOFA group but i work 12 hour rotating shifts and the events just havent lined up with my schedule so far .this summer i will try to take some time off to go to one of the cruises .the dinner i would have been able to make but i will be in mexico....

Well we look forward to meeting you.
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Need to make an event I am at! Where else could there possibly be TWO EcotecFieros in one place? lol

Im looking at the Charity event in Indianapolis in May right now...
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2009 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
i definitely want to see your car , fosgate .i was hoping to see you at the 25th but i was only there thursday and part of friday .maybe this summer will be better for getting to events but my odds are always against it .i lose two weekends every month to work .
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2009 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
This may be a little late but here is a source for ready made Ecotec Fiero swap parts.
http://www.noidearecords.com/thelinsells/kits.html
Anyone who successfully completes this swap certainly has my respect. IMO it is one of the most difficult Fiero engine swaps to do. Can wait to see how the one featured in the post comes out. Roger Thelin the guy that sells the swap parts, drives an Ecotec Fiero, and I would guess that it took him a long time to figure out everything.
Painless Wiring is also working on a stand alone Ecotec harness so more help is on the way.
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 02-14-2009).]

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2009 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the link dennis .i like roger's stuff .my next eco swap will use his shifter kit.i prefer to make my own mounts though .fosgatecavy is making a megasquirt based engine management complete harness and is taking orders now for this product .so , really all the hard stuff can already be bought rather than made up like i did .so i dont think this is that difficult a swap any more .and when i did mine it just didnt seem that hard .i had it running in 6 weeks .i like to think of the fiero as more of a rolling chassis than a complete car .so when i got the entire wiring harness from the cavalier and saw how plug and play everything was , it was a piece of cake to get the car running .i dont believe in getting everything done at once .i like to make the improvements as i go so that the car can be driven more often than not .in the summer i dont do any job that i cant complete in less than a weekend .
it would be nice if roger thelin would do a build thread .i would like to see what he did for wiring .
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2009 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

thanks for the link dennis .i like roger's stuff .my next eco swap will use his shifter kit.i prefer to make my own mounts though .fosgatecavy is making a megasquirt based engine management complete harness and is taking orders now for this product .so , really all the hard stuff can already be bought rather than made up like i did .so i dont think this is that difficult a swap any more .and when i did mine it just didnt seem that hard .i had it running in 6 weeks .i like to think of the fiero as more of a rolling chassis than a complete car .so when i got the entire wiring harness from the cavalier and saw how plug and play everything was , it was a piece of cake to get the car running .i dont believe in getting everything done at once .i like to make the improvements as i go so that the car can be driven more often than not .in the summer i dont do any job that i cant complete in less than a weekend .
it would be nice if roger thelin would do a build thread .i would like to see what he did for wiring .

My idea of a Ecotec swap would be one that utilized the stock PCM. I'm not sure how that PCM functions or what the magic is to solving the interface issues but there is aftermarket support for it. I'm sure that you can use a Megasquirt for engine management but you'd have to build all the tables like the VE, AE, MAF, PE from scratch. GM has already done this so if the GM PCM could be suitably trimmed to disable all of the un-necessary functions it should work fine. Don't know if anyone has done this as yet. How is your powertrain management working out?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2009 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
i use the ecm and bcm and all the wiring from the cavalier that my engine and tranny came from .i also have the cavvy fuel pump assembly .i just got rid of the light harness and anything i figured i wouldnt need .i have HP tuners to setup my turbo and get rid of vats .my car runs like it came from the factory , because the electronics running it did come from the factory .but with megasquirt , it would be easier to utilize the stock fiero guages .i use a cavalier guage cluster .
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock