Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  3800 Swap..something will catch fire. (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
3800 Swap..something will catch fire. by Chris Hodson
Started on: 10-12-2006 01:34 AM
Replies: 97
Last post by: Chris Hodson on 12-28-2008 07:58 PM
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Car got egged..... From the inside...Yea. Someone broke into it and egged the dash, behind the seat and center consol. Didnt even steal anything...

Other than that.... Just waiting on some wireing to get done. I will prolly work on the rockers later today. They dont seem to fit to well. I think there is going to be alot of work to be done to make them fit just right.

------------------

IP: Logged
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2007 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
these rockers are a pain to prep.... And i think im going to glass something to bring the front of it closer to the fender, or maybe glass it into the fender, or at least the botom part, ill post pics of what i mean in a tad.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2007 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
I started off by flushing my break lines. I disconnected them all and cut the tops out of old oil bottles and shoved them where they wouldnt fall. You would not belive the crap that came out. It looked like someone ate a grapefruit and pooped the pulp right into my master cylinder. I made a baster out of a hose, some duct tape and a mountain dew bottle to suck out the junk in the master cylinder. Then i wiped out the mud. I ran a whole thing of fresh fluid before it started to clear up. I got 3 new calipers. I could barley stop my car so i took them all off to look at them. I remember i replaced one already but the others had no bleeders, the pistons were so rusted through that they were spraying break fluid onto the backs of the break pads. ANYWAY's... New calipers, primed and painted with high temp paint. Never sieze on bleeder threads w/ bleeder covers over the nipples "tehe". Cleaned off the rotors and painted the parts of it that rust quick. I took the wheel well liner out and holy crap.... I have some work to do. Ill cut the bad spots out, weld new metal in and put a coat of resin over it so it will never rust again, then paint it with flat black just for looks.
This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.
This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2007 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
I ordered a poly kit from summit. I got some shock absorbers coming in at o-rielys.
I bought a sand blasting box today. BYE FAR the best thing i have bought in a long time. It was about 100 bucks at harbor freight. It gets the parts so clean i barely have to do anything to paint it. BUT HEY! i got one side pretty much done. Here is what ive been up to today.
You could eat off those rotors.

So clean i have no problem laying them on my bed.

I also did my upper control arm for $hits and giggles.

Along with every single little nut, bolt, and washer...Not because im OCD.....Because i can lol. OH i painted the tops of all the bolts too

------------------

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2007 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

Chris Hodson

3066 posts
Member since Aug 2006
I guess ill show whoever is still looking at this thread how i got my bushings out of the upper control arm. A pretty painless procedure.

This is What i used. A piece of 2 inch exhaust pipe, a nut and bolt that fit in the sleeve. A torch and a vise.

I stuck it in like soo..

This is what is what it should look like before you stick it in the vise.

This is what it lookslike in the vise.

Start cranking on it until you got a good amount of tension on the rubber. I highly doubt if its not been messed with before, its not going to separate. Mine didnt separate, but i found a good way to do it.

Once its as far as it can go it...

TORCH IT!!!! just until you hear a ripping noise. It wont take much. It just makes the rubber flexible enough to tear away from the control arm.

Some people say this ruins the integrity of the piece.. But il take my chances. I highly doubt its going to mess with anything. Like i said, it doesnt take to much to get the rubber to rip away from the control arm.

After i took everything out of the vise, careful not to burn myself, the bushing pretty much just slid out.

It barely left anything behind for me to clean up which is a good thing.

Next is the lower control arm. I just need to saw a few bolts off. Ill post pics when i do it.

P.L.U.R.

------------------

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Heres some information on my poly setup issues

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/084705.html

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2007 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Still Cleaning up.... It doesn't end lol

------------------

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2007 05:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

Good thing i have a place to park now that i cleaned my garage out, i hate having to park my car in the snow let alone drive in it, i put to much work into getting the rust it had off and i dont want to put it back on!. Alot has been going on i just havent posted.
Alot of the electrical problems are gone now. I moved the battery from the front, to the middle of my center console against the firewall and now my car starts everytime. The only real problem i have is after i shut it off it is hard to start again. I have a feeling its related to the coolant temp sensor. BECAUSE..."im extremely embarrassed about this"
I was a dumb as$ and forogot i didnt add coolant to the system and of course everything froze. Ive been fighting to get things unfrozen. I have a wood burner in my garage but it doesnt seem enough. Ive got coolant running through half the system now, the pasanger side pipes are froze ive got a karosene heater ill direct onto it, the engine heat should take car of the drivers side if it needs it, once everything melts ill try burping and adding coolant. I still cant belive i did this... Im happy i stil have all the freeze plugs in.

BUT until i get that worked out ive been trying to put together a good exhaust. I want to be able to use it on the 3800 n/a i have now by useing a reducer "backwards" so the system can be compatable with my supercharged s3 3800 when thats ready to go in. Its all 3" pipe & muffler. Right now its still just a pipe lol. No muffler. Nothing.

I bought an 84 se, to add to my collection.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Im going to switch the 82 hood with my modified 86 hood. I want something more classy on the 86. like the gtr fiero's hood "sorry i forgot your name but you do awesome work", I just bought some sort of Euro scoop for the decklid on the 86. With the side scoops rockers from archie i think it should come together nice

If someone wants to buy my setup it is for sale. Everything on the cradle for 1k.

[This message has been edited by Chris Hodson (edited 12-30-2007).]

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2008 04:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if anyone looks at this thing...

How wide can i gap my plugs. I have the same engine in my bonny as my fiero and i want the bonny to get better gas milage. So whats the largest gap? anyone?
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
HA, nobody likes NA s1's i guess
deathangel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deathangelSend a Private Message to deathangelDirect Link to This Post
Chris don't fill bad. Hey when I get my 3800 in you should come down for a ride..
PFF
System Bot
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Hows that all going btw? you finaly find an engine etc..?
deathangel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deathangelSend a Private Message to deathangelDirect Link to This Post
yeah....we got one...the guys has to pull it and check it first.....and then we are all go.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
This car is so much fun lol. Everything is up and running
Ants87gt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ants87gtSend a Private Message to Ants87gtDirect Link to This Post
Chris,

Nice job on the swap! I also did a N/A 3800 swap into my 87 GT. Mine is out of a 96 regal and i ran the obd2 ecm car runs great and pulls like a freight trane.

about you spark plug question i would recommend runnning double platinum plugs in that car the dis ignition is real hot and platinum of iridium works the best long term in them, and they are pregapped to the right spec i always run the AC delcos at my shop in all the GM stuff i work on and have had the best sucess with them, what ever you run DO NOT RUN bosh plugs they are crap.

Ant
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2008 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Way Ahead of ya! Thank you for the advice
Foxy Fiero13

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2008 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris Hodson:

If someone wants to buy my setup it is for sale. Everything on the cradle for 1k.

this setup?
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2008 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
This setup is for sale, im ready to get the S3 in.
$900 for motor tranny, wire harness & computer, axles, exhaust and fuel lines, coolant tubes.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock