Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Fiero 2m8 LT1 NX Roadster conversion (Page 10)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
Previous Page | Next Page
Fiero 2m8 LT1 NX Roadster conversion by Fiero2m8
Started on: 03-16-2006 08:27 PM
Replies: 410
Last post by: Fiero2m8 on 02-10-2009 08:45 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2008 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Hmmm, isn't it illegal to have no side marker lights and the front plate in the wind shield?

I wish you luck driving around like that! I know some cops are pretty anal about small things
IP: Logged
Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2008 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
As for the marker lights, I'm not done yet and I can always modify things more if there is a problem.
Yes, I've already been stopped and given a bogus "improper left turn" ticket as a way for them to check everything out.
Here's a shot of the plate recess mounted - that's probably a "grey" area there but then again so is the nitrous kit.

Another option could be under the driver's indicator light like Eclipse did here:

However I do agree, I have to run a front plate - any other ideas where to locate?
BTW - I never thought this thread would get 10 pages long!
Thanks for the input everyone as most of the body mods have had forum member influence
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2008 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post

Fiero2m8

1928 posts
Member since Feb 2006
Well some bad news as the car stranded me in front of the LCBO today - at least I didn't go thirsty

I obviously haven't solved the no start when hot condition.
Might be grounds or fuel vapor lock or ignition or who knows?
I do have a GM Tech 1 ODBI scanner but I don't think it's going to help with this problem.
Anyways time to research what possible solutions could be and in the meantime work on the other project.

Ryan
Mister

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2008 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Say AH!!!

My gosh that is a huge "mouth" LOL
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2008 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
So I got it home tonight with a boost once the engine had cooled.
The battery is weak, so it's going on the charger for tonight.

The engine was warm when I got home (about a 10 min drive up the highway).
I tried to start it immediately after shutting it off and it just cranked and cranked and didn't even come close to starting.
So I did a few checks:

1. Removed the breather / air filter to eliminate a clogged filter - did not start so reattached.
2. Added an engine to battery negative ground cable and tested for start - did not start.
3. Tested fuel pressure at the schrader valve - 47psi with key turned on, 45psi while cranking and 41psi after key off - all in 41-47psi spec.
4. Sprayed Quik start on K&N filter and then cranked - it started.

This makes me think it's a fuel problem and not a spark issue?

After a full battery charge tomorrow I am thinking I should change the fuel filter and test the fuel injectors for operation and leakage.
Any other suggestions?

Ryan
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2008 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post

Fiero2m8

1928 posts
Member since Feb 2006
Using the search feature seems to suggest Ignition Control Module - (that I just changed).
Other suggestions were the CTS (coolant temp sensor) or ECM heat.
I can try keeping the cover off the ECM in the trunk and replace the CTS in the waterpump.
I also tried disconnecting the MSD box altogether but the car still did not start when warm.
Does anyone think the coil is the problem? (although it starts and runs fine when cold).
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2008 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
My DeLorean had this problem and it was a fuel accumulator, it a part right off the fuel pump. But as far as I know the Fiero has no such part. The reason for the no hot start was fuel pressure would bleed off when warm and sitting. But I do not know for sure what you cars problem is.
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2008 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post
Wow looking really good so far.

Edit ** help me out, with all the different colors going on, i can't tell is that a notchback rear bumper or an aero one ??

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 07-07-2008).]

Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2008 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Wow looking really good so far.

Edit ** help me out, with all the different colors going on, i can't tell is that a notchback rear bumper or an aero one ??

Hi
The bumper pad rear bumper was replaced with an aero one from an 85GT.

------------------

86 LT1-4T60 Nitrous Roadster~84 Indy Northstar-Porsche Hatchback

Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2008 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post

Fiero2m8

1928 posts
Member since Feb 2006
Here's the scanner I'm using - I'll post any codes I get:

[This message has been edited by Fiero2m8 (edited 07-07-2008).]

Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2008 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
Big plus for the ogre!
Found my problem without spending any money.
It was the ECM in my trunk getting heat stroke from engine bay heat.
Just needed to seal up and insulate the large hole and I will make a vented computer cover to replace the solid one in the trunk.
I guess it took a couple really hot days to show the problem as it hadn't been an issue in the past.
To confirm my diagnosis, I drove out to Niagara on the Lake with the computer just resting on the trunk carpeting (no cover) and the hole sealed.
It restarted everytime hot with no quick start needed.

As promised, here is the scan data after letting it idle 15-20 minutes in 90plus degree weather:

Idle - 950
CTS - 210F
INJ 1 Fault NO
INJ 2 Fault - NO
Knock - OK
IC - OK
System Volts - 13.6
Learned IAC - 33
INJ Pulse Width Bank 1 - 3.5msec
INJ Pulse Width Bank 2 - 3.5msec
Lo Res Signal - 15 msec
Hi Res signal - 1-250
Knock Retard - 0 degrees
Knock Signal - NO
Spark Advance - 20 degrees
Fuel Trim Cell - 16
Fuel Trim Enable - YES
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 - 122
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 - 124
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 - 148
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 - 152
TPS - 0.46V
Throttle Angle - 0%
MAP - 60 KPa (2.66V)
Baro - 103 KPa (4.98V)
Engine coolant temp 223 degrees
Intake Air Temp 163 degrees

The only real engine annoyance I've never been able to solve is the loping idle 800-1100 rpm.
It did it before and after the engine rebuild with cam change.
IAC was replaced but I've been told the problem is due to relatively low vacuum at idle (12-15 in Hg) so that was why I had the new chip burned.
Although did it before and after chip reprogram - the ECM seems to keep hunting as it moves the IAC in and out trying to make corrections.
If anyone can tip me in the right direction, you'd be my hero as it even has the GM mechanics stumped - I know that's not saying much

Fiero2m8
PFF
System Bot
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2008 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
Picked up a Corvette master cylinder for the Roadster:

Couldn't find clear marker lens from a 2000 VW so I went with small surface mount amber lens from a Nissan 240:
Here's a similar one on a 95 Altima:

Made new holes with the drill bit and angle grinder, spliced the wire and here's the new look:

Molding will be filled and flare smoothed out and fender painted black - whatcha think?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2008 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
hmmm I think the stock locations look pretty good to me to be honest, maybe a little lower than stock.. that looks a little too low in my opinion...
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2008 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

hmmm I think the stock locations look pretty good to me to be honest, maybe a little lower than stock.. that looks a little too low in my opinion...

Agreed... I little low. But just IMO

Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2008 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

Agreed... I little low. But just IMO

Well I'm glad I didn't go even lower then as that was my other idea.
They are very low on the Nissans as pic above.
I wanted it near a body line, away from the curve of the fender flare, and below the original location.
Next time I might ask for opinions before cutting the holes
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2008 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero2m8:

Well I'm glad I didn't go even lower then as that was my other idea.
They are very low on the Nissans as pic above.
I wanted it near a body line, away from the curve of the fender flare, and below the original location.
Next time I might ask for opinions before cutting the holes

Its your car!! Do what you think looks the best!! After all your the only person that it really matters too.

I'm sure it look better when its all one color.

Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2008 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
Thanks - back to the powertrain in the meantime.
I decided to replace the ECM with a reman unit and just transferred the custom PROM:

The lower trunk got a coat of high heat paint and the Nitrous bottle was refilled.
A new 6 foot feed line installed to replace the 20 footer since I'm not using a purge:

The carpeting was redone to surround the new stainless grill.
Once the engine was up to operating temp, the bottle pressure guage reads 1050psi.
NX recommends 1000-1050psi for best results from their jetting charts.
I am currently using the 150HP setup but am planning to change to 100HP jets so I can reduce the timing retard on the MSD box and have the juice last longer:

I also did some work under the car, changing the plugs to new colder NGK TR6's.
I ordered some copper header/collector gaskets as the old ones are starting to burn out.
A minor oil drip turned out to be coming from the oil pan filler bolt, so a new copper washer was installed.
Also added was another chassis to engine ground to serve as a backup.
Lastly, a new 15390 fan belt was installed as the old one developed a cut when I was having issues with the alternator bracket.
After a test drive, the ECM will need a little time to learn the fuel trim blocks but the idle and hot starting has improved.

Keeping an eye out for reasonably priced 16" rims to use with my set of Toyo 225/60/16 tires:

Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2008 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
Just a few updates:

Brought the Roadster to the muffler shop Zoro that built the exhaust.
I kept burning exhaust gaskets out, so they welded a new collector flange on and installed some copper gaskets for me at no charge.

While under the car, I noticed the Inboard passenger axle boot developed a split and started leaking, so I picked up a new one yesterday.

I also installed the LT4 Prom in the ECM to see if I can improve the idle a little - time will tell.
It's been raining here a lot lately and I've been too busy to get more bodywork done.
If I can get the newest project street legal in time, I will be bringing it - if that falls through, the Roadster is in the on-deck circle

Ryan

------------------

1984 Indy Northstar-Porsche~1986 LT1-4T60 NitrousRoadster

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2008 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

I kept burning exhaust gaskets out, so they welded a new collector flange on and installed some copper gaskets for me at no charge.

I burned through 2 set of the blow proof aluminum ones before going to copper. It has been about a year now and the copper ones are holding just fine. I have tightened them up 2 times since they have been installed.

I am looking forward to seeing either one of your cars at the 25th!
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2008 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Guru - sounds promising with the new locknuts I'm using.

Well I got a lot of apparel birthday gifts from the Fiero Store (hat, T-shirts, golf shirt and fleece) which is great since I didn't have any yet
The big surprise was the FIERO2M8 personalized plates - they were ordered online 5-1/2 weeks ago, so I'm hoping they arrive soon, but unfortunately probably not in time for the 25th.

Ryan
bonzo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2008 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
Havent looked at this thread in some time. I relocated my LT1 ECM behind the passenger seat. It actualy cleaned up the look a bit.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
hagans19

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-31-2008 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hagans19Send a Private Message to hagans19Direct Link to This Post
any updates
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2008 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
Just got back from the 25th and am now on vacation at the cottage till August 7th.
Planning to swap the PROM chip when I get home and replace the torn axle boot.
Hopefully will be able to bring the project to the SOFA show August 9th.

Ryan
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2008 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

Thanks - back to the powertrain in the meantime.
I decided to replace the ECM with a reman unit and just transferred the custom PROM:

The lower trunk got a coat of high heat paint and the Nitrous bottle was refilled.
A new 6 foot feed line installed to replace the 20 footer since I'm not using a purge:

The carpeting was redone to surround the new stainless grill.
Once the engine was up to operating temp, the bottle pressure guage reads 1050psi.
NX recommends 1000-1050psi for best results from their jetting charts.
I am currently using the 150HP setup but am planning to change to 100HP jets so I can reduce the timing retard on the MSD box and have the juice last longer:

I also did some work under the car, changing the plugs to new colder NGK TR6's.
I ordered some copper header/collector gaskets as the old ones are starting to burn out.
A minor oil drip turned out to be coming from the oil pan filler bolt, so a new copper washer was installed.
Also added was another chassis to engine ground to serve as a backup.
Lastly, a new 15390 fan belt was installed as the old one developed a cut when I was having issues with the alternator bracket.
After a test drive, the ECM will need a little time to learn the fuel trim blocks but the idle and hot starting has improved.

Keeping an eye out for reasonably priced 16" rims to use with my set of Toyo 225/60/16 tires:

Ihave a spare set of 16 inch rims here at the house ff you want to see them come by
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2008 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Joe - PM me a pic if possible - I'm interested.

hagans19 - got your PM but the reply didn't work.
I don't think I'd build another roadster, but it was a good alternative to a choptop for me and a great learning experience.
It did take quite a while to build but the reward chatting with others at local cruises has been fulfilling.
I don't have a top planned other than a tonneau cover now that I have another Fiero to drive in the rain

Ryan
DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2008 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post
Ryan, It was nice to meet you and Erin at the 25th. I'm looking forward to seeing your roadster someday. .

[This message has been edited by DL10 (edited 08-02-2008).]

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2008 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Joe - PM me a pic if possible - I'm interested.

hagans19 - got your PM but the reply didn't work.
I don't think I'd build another roadster, but it was a good alternative to a choptop for me and a great learning experience.
It did take quite a while to build but the reward chatting with others at local cruises has been fulfilling.
I don't have a top planned other than a tonneau cover now that I have another Fiero to drive in the rain

Ryan

I have the bareeta GT wheels and The 2002 sunfiregt wheels both are 16 inch

Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2008 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DL10:

Ryan, It was nice to meet you and Erin at the 25th. I'm looking forward to seeing your roadster someday. .

Thanks, you too Dave!
If I knew the weather was going to be so great in Michigan, I would have brought the Roadster (always next time though)
Maybe next show I'll spent more time near my own car so we can talk more - I kept wandering off taking pics of the other 250+ Fieros!
The Predator sure generated alot of questions and interest both at the show and here on the forum.

Bubbajoe - I think the Sunfire rims are 3 spoke as well but the Beretta GT rims sound interesting.
Ryan
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2008 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

Thanks, you too Dave!
If I knew the weather was going to be so great in Michigan, I would have brought the Roadster (always next time though)
Maybe next show I'll spent more time near my own car so we can talk more - I kept wandering off taking pics of the other 250+ Fieros!
The Predator sure generated alot of questions and interest both at the show and here on the forum.

Bubbajoe - I think the Sunfire rims are 3 spoke as well but the Beretta GT rims sound interesting.
Ryan

drop by and take a look
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2008 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
A few updates but I haven't done much since I bought Bubbajoe's car and I this is my busiest time of year at work.
I decided to part out some of the project to finance finishing the other car.
Saturday I sold the Grand AM GT rims I was never really fond of anyways - here they are just before I removed them to get the rubber taken off them:

The only other Fiero rims I had left were the originals off the car, so back on they go.
The picture angle doesn't show it but now I realize just how wide the fender flares are as the stock tires are so small in there:

As I was driving down my street at the speed limit I decided to see what would happen if I hit the throttle - it felt like the other tires did in the rain.
(100 feet of two skinny tire marks - luckily I was pointed straight at the time)

Next to be put up for sale will be the Nitrous kit.
I've only used 2 bottles since the rebuild, so I'm going to find an LT1 owner that is willing to swap intakes with me and buy the kit.
I really don't need it and the Roadster's frame will not object to it being sold:

After that I don't know - a local friend is a Fiero nut and is bugging me to sell him the car without engine/trans as he wants to do a Nissan V6 swap.
I've thought about selling the built LT1 or putting it in the newest project.
I've also thought about selling the rebuilt 4T60 to someone wanting to upgrade their TH125c.

Anyways, I not making any quick decisions, the car is paid for and I've got a lot of time invested in it.
Most of the money is in the drivetrain (engine $3,500, trans $2,500, nitrous direct port kit $2,500)
The problem is that I really don't like having two projects, I'd much rather focus all my effort and energy into one - maybe take the best of both and make one?

Stay tuned - time will tell...

------------------

Indy Northstar-Stretch ~ LT1-NOS Roadster

gunslinger

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2008 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gunslingerSend a Private Message to gunslingerDirect Link to This Post
I am interested in the MSD timer how mch are you asking for it.
PFF
System Bot
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2008 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post

Yikes! You aren't going to be able to turn to full lock! Those are in the neighborhood of 26" tall! I have 25.5" tall on right now and they grind when at full lock under some conditions (195/65-15) That will be much more pronounced with taller wider tires!
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2008 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by gunslinger:

I am interested in the MSD timer how mch are you asking for it.

I'll probably keep included with the Nitrous Kit.
I was going to say half price of what I paid for it at the local speed shop here in Canada but for that money you can buy brand new from Summit here:

http://store.summitracing.c...il.asp?part=MSD-8969

Originally posted by KurtAKX:
Yikes! You aren't going to be able to turn to full lock! Those are in the neighborhood of 26" tall! I have 25.5" tall on right now and they grind when at full lock under some conditions (195/65-15) That will be much more pronounced with taller wider tires!

The 245/50/16's I just took off are 25.6" tall and I never had the problem you are describing.
I've had the other tires on the car before without issue - I believe the increased height was offset by them being 2cm narrower.
Anyways, the taller sidewall will improve my ground clearance issue and if they rub, I can always swap in taller front springs I have laying around.

Ryan
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
I have been pulling my hair out trying to fix my NO START WHEN WARM condition with the LT1.
So far no help from the www.CamaroZ28.com forum
I guess it wouldn't hurt to post a copy here since this thread is in the Tech section.
Here's what I posted there...

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster since the search feature hasn't helped.
I have a 1994 iron head LT1 in my Fiero that I built a couple years ago.
It is 60 over, with forged pistons, new accel injectors, MSD Optispark, mild Nitrous friendly cam for the NX LT1-Pro Direct Pro 100-300 Nitrous kit. The rest of the recently rebuilt engine is stock except hugger headers. The ECM has been replaced (92/93 ODBI) and is using a Street and Performance custom chip and wiring harness.

This summer after no changes to the motor in a year, I developed a hard/no start condition when the engine is up to operating temp.
I replaced the ICM and changed the NGK TR6 plugs to fresh TR55's. I thought it was grounds or charging system but none of those fixes have helped. I later discovered it is fuel related as a small spray of Quik Start on the K&N filter will cause the engine to start. Also the MSD digital - 6 box light shows spark during cranking and it starts fine when cold (using a powermaster 9004 starter and a OPTIMAX red top).

Could I possiby be getting vapour lock? The fuel pressure is good with key on and during cranking. I have tried both a stock LT1 PROM chip and the custom one and no change (the main difference is the custom chip helps the idle as I only have 12Hg/in at idle with the new cam).

The engine ran great for a couple years, so I don't know what has failed. The fuel pump is a Holley Walbro 255LPH. I have a GM Tech I scanner and no codes or unusual stuff seem to show up.

Help, as I'm running out of ideas and money and am considering parting out the powertrain. I can start it cold and drive around fine, but if I shut it off after it's warm it won't start on its own again until its cold.

Haynes manual says to check this when hard to start warm:
1. Air filter dirty - tried removing (no change)
2. Bad engine ground connection - added a second (no change)
3. Fuel not reaching the injectors - confirmed (no change)
4. Loose connection in the ignition system - tried omiting MSD box (no change)

New stuff I installed:
1. Fuel filter (no change)
2. Ignition Coil - (did run smoother on cold startup but didn't help when hot)
3. O2 sensors (no change)
4. New Battery (old one dies within 30 secs of cranking)
5. New full tank of fuel (no change)

Tests I ran:
1. Fuel Pressure (47psi when pump turned on then drops to 42 and holds)
2. Disconnected Nitrous line to ensure no fuel leakage into manifold (none)
3. Removed vacuum line from FPR to ensure no fuel leakage into manifold (none)
4. Tried retarding the timing 20 degrees during cranking under 500 rpm (no change)
5. Tried the suggestion with the key on 5 times for 5 secs each (no change)
6. Tried to start when hot with the pedal to the floor - flood clearing mode (no start)

I know that the problem is heat related but not sure it's heat internal to the engine or engine compartment heat - I did relocate the ICM and coil to a cooler spot away from the engine.

So after all that I've got nothing to show for it - same problem.
Once its up to temp, I can shut it off and immediately restart usually with success.
If it doesn't catch immediately or if I let it sit off a couple minutes, it's toast until the engine in left alone a 1/2 hour.
Spraying a little Quik Start in the intake manifold is the only chance I have to start unless you wait the 1/2 hour.
When I'm lucky and it does start, it idles and revs fine so it is only a starting issue.

I guess I'll just wait until someone posts for me to change my Optispark (for the 3rd time) or install a new CTS...

Cheers,
Ryan

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Is it actually cranking or just "ticking" like Ive heard quite a few 2.8s do when hot..
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
Good question!
Actually, I've ruled out a "heat soaked" starter.
It cranks fine and fairly quickly for about 3 ten second bursts before the battery starts to drain a little slowing the crank.

Maybe this might help - it's a video/audio clip of the sound it makes when trying to start warm:

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2008 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Where did you add your second ground? Maybe get out the ohm meter and check to see if the second ground even did anything... you still may have too much resistance with ignition components or maybe fuel injectors? Maybe visually inspect all connections and pull wire loom back to inspect areas?

I just reread what you wrote.. Im not a mechanic but maybe this makes sense to you or others...

you mentioned spraying that quick start stuff in your manifold and it usually starts up... this makes me think theres a fuel problem... even though you have fuel pressure to the rail, isnt that driven by the pump itself? The injectors still need to fire for the car to start, correct? So... you claim you have spark... but if your injectors arent firing maybe due to low voltage/high resistance or something due to heat, then it wont start... but put that qwik start stuff in and you have fuel and spark and it starts like a "carbed" engine... engine starts moving, alternator starts pumping up the volts/amps whatever and you have enough power to the injectors to keep running now?

I have no idea if thats logical or makes sense to others, but just an idea...

also, does your tach move when you're cranking?

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 10-24-2008).]

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2008 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

I have been pulling my hair out trying to fix my NO START WHEN WARM condition with the LT1.
So far no help from the www.CamaroZ28.com forum
I guess it wouldn't hurt to post a copy here since this thread is in the Tech section.
Here's what I posted there...

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster since the search feature hasn't helped.
I have a 1994 iron head LT1 in my Fiero that I built a couple years ago.
It is 60 over, with forged pistons, new accel injectors, MSD Optispark, mild Nitrous friendly cam for the NX LT1-Pro Direct Pro 100-300 Nitrous kit. The rest of the recently rebuilt engine is stock except hugger headers. The ECM has been replaced (92/93 ODBI) and is using a Street and Performance custom chip and wiring harness.

This summer after no changes to the motor in a year, I developed a hard/no start condition when the engine is up to operating temp.
I replaced the ICM and changed the NGK TR6 plugs to fresh TR55's. I thought it was grounds or charging system but none of those fixes have helped. I later discovered it is fuel related as a small spray of Quik Start on the K&N filter will cause the engine to start. Also the MSD digital - 6 box light shows spark during cranking and it starts fine when cold (using a powermaster 9004 starter and a OPTIMAX red top).

Could I possiby be getting vapour lock? The fuel pressure is good with key on and during cranking. I have tried both a stock LT1 PROM chip and the custom one and no change (the main difference is the custom chip helps the idle as I only have 12Hg/in at idle with the new cam).

The engine ran great for a couple years, so I don't know what has failed. The fuel pump is a Holley Walbro 255LPH. I have a GM Tech I scanner and no codes or unusual stuff seem to show up.

Help, as I'm running out of ideas and money and am considering parting out the powertrain. I can start it cold and drive around fine, but if I shut it off after it's warm it won't start on its own again until its cold.

Haynes manual says to check this when hard to start warm:
1. Air filter dirty - tried removing (no change)
2. Bad engine ground connection - added a second (no change)
3. Fuel not reaching the injectors - confirmed (no change)
4. Loose connection in the ignition system - tried omiting MSD box (no change)

New stuff I installed:
1. Fuel filter (no change)
2. Ignition Coil - (did run smoother on cold startup but didn't help when hot)
3. O2 sensors (no change)
4. New Battery (old one dies within 30 secs of cranking)
5. New full tank of fuel (no change)

Tests I ran:
1. Fuel Pressure (47psi when pump turned on then drops to 42 and holds)
2. Disconnected Nitrous line to ensure no fuel leakage into manifold (none)
3. Removed vacuum line from FPR to ensure no fuel leakage into manifold (none)
4. Tried retarding the timing 20 degrees during cranking under 500 rpm (no change)
5. Tried the suggestion with the key on 5 times for 5 secs each (no change)
6. Tried to start when hot with the pedal to the floor - flood clearing mode (no start)

I know that the problem is heat related but not sure it's heat internal to the engine or engine compartment heat - I did relocate the ICM and coil to a cooler spot away from the engine.

So after all that I've got nothing to show for it - same problem.
Once its up to temp, I can shut it off and immediately restart usually with success.
If it doesn't catch immediately or if I let it sit off a couple minutes, it's toast until the engine in left alone a 1/2 hour.
Spraying a little Quik Start in the intake manifold is the only chance I have to start unless you wait the 1/2 hour.
When I'm lucky and it does start, it idles and revs fine so it is only a starting issue.

I guess I'll just wait until someone posts for me to change my Optispark (for the 3rd time) or install a new CTS...

Cheers,
Ryan

when it starts with q start after being hot you have vapor lock no ifs ands or buts when the heat gets upther in the engine bay it evaporates the fuel in the injecter lines it holds pressure but there is no liquid fuel to burn and no start as the engine cools the fuel re liquifies and it starts
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2008 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:
Where did you add your second ground?
Also, does your tach move when you're cranking?

Grounds are Battery to frame and two Engine to frame.
The tach does move while cranking.

Could I possibly be getting vapour lock?

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:
when it starts with q start after being hot you have vapor lock no ifs ands or buts when the heat gets upther in the engine bay it evaporates the fuel in the injecter lines it holds pressure but there is no liquid fuel to burn and no start as the engine cools the fuel re liquifies and it starts

Well, I am leaning towards that too although it's doing it in this cool weather after running 5 minutes with the decklid open.
Other logical issue is this didn't happen for two years of driving until one day something broke and stranded me at the LCBO
The Camaro forum guys are leaning towards a cheap ICM I bought at Parts Source instead of the AC Delco one.

Here's the link to that discussion:
http://www.camaroz28.com/fo...wthread.php?t=643587

e30tech

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2008 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for e30techSend a Private Message to e30techDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful job man!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock