Started on: 08-13-2008 10:01 AM
Replies: 50
Last post by: Matthew_Fiero on 08-25-2008 10:42 AM
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2008 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Anyone put an electronic fuel pressure gauge? Autometer has one but it's not cheap. Much less likely to leak over a mechanical gauge.
IP: Logged
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2008 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I will be next spring. However I may go with a "glowshift" gauge. Much more affordable prices. I don't understand why an electric fuel pressure gauge is SO much more expensive than an electric oil pressure gauge....
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2008 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

I will be next spring. However I may go with a "glowshift" gauge. Much more affordable prices. I don't understand why an electric fuel pressure gauge is SO much more expensive than an electric oil pressure gauge....

Thanks for the tip...those prices do look better. I don't know why they are so much more expensive than oil pressure. Except maybe as Theogre implies, it's the liability of a leak and the consequences so there has to be failsafe features in the design to make it safe.
Bubbajuju

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2008 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Anyone put an electronic fuel pressure gauge? Autometer has one but it's not cheap. Much less likely to leak over a mechanical gauge.

In a few weeks I'm thinking of ordering another electric oil pressure gauge from rock auto ($23.00). Installing it on the schrader, taking off the lens on the gauge and making it say "fuel" instead of oil.
Pressure is pressure. Right?
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2008 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuDirect Link to This Post

Bubbajuju

548 posts
Member since Sep 2007

Originally posted by theogre:

All of you installing gauges in fuel lines permanently should consider carrying a plug and tools to install it at all times.

Gauges, even quality ones, can start leaking with little, more like no, warning. Between the vibration in the fuel, engine vibration, heat, etc, a gauge can easily develop a leak. When it's loaded with fuel....

Gauges are moving, and rather delicate, parts. Leaking gauges are pretty common in allot of applications. Sticking one in an engine bay just adds to the likelyhood of a leak.

Good advice, Ogre.
A fire extinguisher in the trunk is a must have. (if I can just get to it in time!)
A halon system would be a plus.

Matthew_Fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2008 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroDirect Link to This Post
I used one layer on each NPT thread of yellow teflon tape to help prevent leaks.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2008 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Matthew_Fiero:

I used one layer on each NPT thread of yellow teflon tape to help prevent leaks.

I think Theogre is referring to leaks from the gauge itself. The mechanism is going to be under pressure from the gas continuously, if it leaks you have a real problem. I wouldn't use an oil pressure gauge with gas. The materials may not be compatible. They might be, but if you are wrong, the consequences are severe.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2008 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

I think Theogre is referring to leaks from the gauge itself.

Yes, Exactly. The gauges break internally. It's a fairly common mode of failure, especially in high vibration environments. If that happens, your stranded if you don't have a way to plug the hole. Finding the right plug in a hurry can be allot harder than trying to patch a hole in a line.

Electronic gauges are not immune to it either. Look how often oil pressure senders fail. Nearly all senders are some kind of mechanical part working a resistor. Some really good ones may be operating as a load cell with little or no movement but most are just versions of your OP sender.

And on that note... NO, don't use an oil pressure senders or hose sets to make a fuel gauge. Oil and Fuel handling materials are often NOT interchangeable. This isn't an item to be guessing with. Some OP senders may take it while others won't. There's no way for you to know and the vendor is going to be free and clear if this blows up on you. They sell it as an OP product and even for that some are not very good. Look at how many OP senders fail just for the stock dash gauge. Even some of the "name brands" on the aftermarket aren't holding up all that well lately. Spraying engine oil is bad enough. Spraying fuel.........
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2008 05:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuDirect Link to This Post
Ogre,
Thanks for the heads up on the gauge leak/failure issue. I will carry my Schrader valve core (and fire extinguisher) with me just in case.
Especially since I opted for the cheapest made in Taiwan gauge out there!
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2008 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

I purchased my electric fuel pressure gauge off ebay for a very good price relative to what it would have cost direct from the shelf to my hand. It's an excellent piece of equipment to have when you are diagnosing an engine problem or tuning from the driver seat.

Matthew_Fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2008 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroDirect Link to This Post
I wish I never bought this gauge.

#1 looks ridiculous
#2 In TOTAL it cost me 76.26 for a stupid little cheap gauge.

I am very angry..
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay