Missing crossmember support brackets-photos by Larryh86GT
Started on: 07-19-2008 03:55 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Larryh86GT on 07-20-2008 08:47 AM
Larryh86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post
Purchased my GT last August. Looked good but needed mechanical work on it. Replaced all 4 wheel bearings, the front upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, and the steering dampener so far with a long list of more to do. While searching for information on the steering dampener on this forum I came across some photos that showed the 2 crossmember support brackets (or radiator support brackets) which bolt on at 1 end at the bottom of the crossmember where the rack is clamped. The upper end of the bracket bolts on to the frame. When I saw the photos it made me realize there were no brackets on my GT. I do not understand why anyone would remove them and not put them back. I did notice when you hit a bump the steering wheel would shake and was trying to figure this out also. So off to the u-pull it bone yard. Only 3 Fieros there and not much left to them but I did find a pair of rusty brackets that would do. (Certainly better than nothing).

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post
Wanted to post more pictures but PIP won't let me. Will try later.
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post

Larryh86GT

1757 posts
Member since Jan 2008
Photos continued:

This is before I painted them. The one on the left has been wire brushed already.

Brackets up and bolted in.

Took her out for a test run. Steering wheel no longer shakes when car goes over a bump. On to the next project.

2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
I've seen them rusted completely off on a couple of northern cars that I had. One in particular that was the minor part of the rust on the car. The whole rear frame area on the right side and part of the floor crumbled in my hand on what was represented as a "show circuit car" with "no rust that we know of". Hope you checked the rest of the car.
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2008 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2farnorth:

I've seen them rusted completely off on a couple of northern cars that I had. One in particular that was the minor part of the rust on the car. The whole rear frame area on the right side and part of the floor crumbled in my hand on what was represented as a "show circuit car" with "no rust that we know of". Hope you checked the rest of the car.

An interesting thought but no. Car is not that rusty. All 4 bolts were not there also. Brackets were removed and not replaced.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock