Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Umm... is the inside of the distributor supposed to look like this?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Umm... is the inside of the distributor supposed to look like this? by Patrick
Started on: 07-14-2008 02:52 AM
Replies: 24
Last post by: Patrick on 09-07-2008 01:52 PM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

No, this isn't some discarded distributor I found laying in a ditch in a bone yard. This is the distributor out of my '86 GT that I bought a few months ago. (The car had been sitting for six years.) I can't believe the engine ran (and actually ran well) with all this corrosion in the distributor.

I've got a cracked EGR tube, so I decided to pull the upper plenum off to change it. I figured I could root around and clean up the TB and distributor while I was at it. I certainly didn't expect the distributor to be looking this bad!

Would "washing" it with WD40 be okay? Does anyone think that I'd be foolish to continue to use this distributor, even if I clean it up?

A question on distributor shaft end play - What is good? Right now there's .027" or thereabouts. Are shims readily available?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
linuxpowered88

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Direct Link to This Post
WOW i got nothing else to say. That's built Chevy tough. To bad its Pontiac.
ktthecarguy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 167
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ktthecarguyClick Here to visit ktthecarguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ktthecarguyDirect Link to This Post
Maybe you could clean it up some and use it as a core toward a rebuilt distributor. Although it looks bad, it might clean up enough to be rebuilt.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ktthecarguy:

Although it looks bad, it might clean up enough to be rebuilt.

Except for adding a shim or two to take up the end play, what would need to be rebuilt? There doesn't appear to be any wobble or side to side play in the shaft. The electronics seem to be working fine, believe it or not.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36401 posts
Member since Apr 99

Another shot. Nice, eh?

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I would, however, take a wire brush to it and clean off the large bits of rust.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post07-14-2008 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Since you've got it out of the car already go ahead and dismantle it and clean it up. The only real thing to be careful with is cleaning the spinning fingerplate, try to avoid damaging the magnet sandwiched between the plates. After cleaning, paint exposed metal with something that's resistant to ozone which is extremely corrosive. Make sure the screens in the bottom of the baseplate are clear, use fresh heat sink grease for the module, and you might as well put a new pickup coil in since they're cheap. Also, I recommend using the tan O-ring, either from http://www.rodneydickman.com or from your local dealer, ask for the oil pump drive O-ring for the 3.4 TDC motor.

JazzMan
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

After cleaning, paint exposed metal with something that's resistant to ozone which is extremely corrosive.

JazzMan, thanks very much for the info. Just to clarify though...

What is safe to use on the electronics when cleaning? Solvent? WD40?

I'm not familiar with ozone resistant paint. Suggestions?

No comment on allowable shaft end play and shims?

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
The module and pickup coil I would just remove and brush them off. You could use so cleaner on the module but I would not mess with the coil to much. Then you can clean the rest of the metal parts and wipe the magnet off.

Be sure you clean the screens out on the base plate. They are there to vent out the ozone that is created by the spark of the rotor. Ozone is corrosive hence the vents.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by linuxpowered88:
WOW i got nothing else to say. That's built Chevy tough. To bad its Pontiac.

the 2.8 is a chevy engine
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Anything is better than that!Try the mall section or your local parts store.
PFF
System Bot
Eclipse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
It almost looks like it's been underwater! You mentioned that it was sitting, was it indoors, or sitting in long grass? Grass is notorious for bringing moisture up from under the car (Morning dew and such).

Just curious...

------------------
Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association
Yellow 85 Notchback(A.K.A. GodFearN)

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I'm selling my distributer which I recently rebuilt along with a MSD coil & the wires & cables which go between them
new cap, rotor, ignition module, o-ring & pick-up coil, and clean free spinning shaft.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/043225.html
tvelarde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tvelardeClick Here to visit tvelarde's HomePageSend a Private Message to tvelardeDirect Link to This Post
Recognize that even though it looks like crap, the magnetic function that it was designed to perform is working. That says a lot about the design and the ability of the unit. While it offends the cleanliness mind that most of us have with our Fieros, it is working, and as you put it, working well. Think how much easier for the distributor to work well it will be when some fo the excess large chunks of rust are gone and they are fewer spurious arcs from place to place. If the endplay and remainder of the distributor are in good shape, just clean it up and wait for the next inevitable ignition module failure or whatever to happen.

Sounds like a great project.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I appreciate everyone's input, but...

Why is everyone avoiding my questions on proper shaft end play and shims?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36401 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by Eclipse:

It almost looks like it's been underwater! You mentioned that it was sitting, was it indoors, or sitting in long grass? Grass is notorious for bringing moisture up from under the car (Morning dew and such).

As far as I know, the previous owner stored it in an underground parking lot the whole time.

I'm wondering about the effects of dampness elsewhere in the car. Although I see no signs of mold or mildew in the interior of the car, I'm having trouble getting rid of the stink in the carpet. (The seats appear to smell okay.) The carpet just smells weird, almost like strong BO. The heater core had been S-L-O-W-L-Y dripping onto the carpet on the passenger side for who knows how long during those six years of storage. I've removed the seats and thoroughly shampooed the carpet twice (using Oxyclean the first time and Simple Green the second) but it still smells odd when I first open the door after the car has been closed up for awhile. Ah, the joys of resurrecting a neglected Fiero.

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
I appreciate everyone's input, but...

Why is everyone avoiding my questions on proper shaft end play and shims?

I dont think end play is an issue - as soon as the cam pushes on the the dist gear - it is totally loaded to one side - and will not move from there as long as the motor is running. even with the cam moving back & forth. and even if the timing chain is sloppy. now, side to side looseness acn be a problem. this would imply the bushings are worn. but, up & down - not an issue at all.
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post

Except for adding a shim or two to take up the end play, what would need to be rebuilt?

Barnacle removal, matey. Was this a flood car?

------------------
John DuRette
Custom 85 SE/86 GT
"Kinda makes you nostalgic for a Members Only jacket"

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

...but, up & down - not an issue at all.

I understand what you're saying, but years ago (30?) when I had my big block Chevs, I recall reading plenty about the benefits of shimming the distributor. I remember doing the procedure to several distributors back then. The biggest challenge was simply to have enough different thickness shims on hand so as to be able to correctly take up the slack. I guess I’m just surprised that this is one “tuner trick” from the old days that hasn't seemed to have carried over (at least here).

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36401 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by USFiero:

Barnacle removal, matey. Was this a flood car?

Living on the west coast, I know all about barnacles!

If it was deep water which was responsible for the corrosion in the distributor, I'd imagine the interior would be thrashed as well. However, other than the stink of the carpet, the interior is almost in immaculate condition.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2008 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Just thought I'd report back and say that I cleaned up the inside of the distributor, applied new heatsink compound under the module (there wasn't any previously ), shimmed the shaft, and popped her back in. Except for a little problem with my harmonic balancer and the timing, the distributor works great!
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2008 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
That distributor looks pretty raunchy. A clean up is a good idea but replacing it with a remanufactured Cardone unit is better. Those distributors have an improved star wheel reluctor and pickup. Its a solid design but I always replace the module with an AC Delco unit.
JumpStart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2008 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a New Orleans car. LOL I would just clean it up and run it till it actually gives you trouble.

Steve
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2008 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post

As far as I know, the previous owner stored it in an underground parking lot the whole time.

I'm wondering about the effects of dampness elsewhere in the car. Although I see no signs of mold or mildew in the interior of the car, I'm having trouble getting rid of the stink in the carpet. (The seats appear to smell okay.) The carpet just smells weird, almost like strong BO. The heater core had been S-L-O-W-L-Y dripping onto the carpet on the passenger side for who knows how long during those six years of storage. I've removed the seats and thoroughly shampooed the carpet twice (using Oxyclean the first time and Simple Green the second) but it still smells odd when I first open the door after the car has been closed up for awhile. Ah, the joys of resurrecting a neglected Fiero.

Since you mention moisture...I would strongly suggest you pull your rear interior pillars, seats, and pull back the carpet. You probably have rusted out floor pan covers and gaskets like I did. I hadn't driven my Fiero in weeks and it was also dry here in Seattle for good several months...The top carpet is dry but the bottom half has a rubber barrier which traps water in. The rusted out cover allowed water to be soaked up underside of the carpet and pad like a wick....and when I pulled it back the smell and amount of water was offensively bad. You could take the pad and wring out cups of mildewy water. I was still able to buy those floor pan gasket covers from monster autoparts online. Luckily, I was in the middle of an interior restore and couldnt figure out why the seat belts and seat tracks were so damn rusty yet the carpet was dry as a bone on the surface.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2008 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sricka01:

The top carpet is dry but the bottom half has a rubber barrier which traps water in.

Good point. Perhaps that's where the smell is coming from in this car.

Thanks for the tip. There's always something to learn (and to fix).

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock