Aftermarket exhaust? by Samohtneas
Started on: 06-18-2008 02:36 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: mrfiero on 06-19-2008 10:22 PM
Samohtneas

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2008 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking to replace my muffler (and maybe the cat) on my 86 SE 2.8L. Both of them are pretty craggly looking, and smell pretty awful as well. Plus I wouldn't mind having that all-the-more intimidating sound!

The problem is, I have very little room to work with under there. A 40 Series will definitely not fit in that space. In fact, many performance mufflers won't. I thought about a Glasspack however for that to work I would have to get rid of one of my exhaust pipes, and that would just look awkward from behind.

Anyone have any idea what I could do?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Winkie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2008 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post
Order Rodney Dickmans cat and try a spintec muffler. I'm pretty sure the spintec will work. Those things are just about indestructible. It is the heaviest and most durable muffler I have ever seen.

Ryan

------------------
87 GT 3800SC Series II 5 Speed and More Goodies

www.gardenstatefieros.com

Samohtneas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2008 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasDirect Link to This Post
Spintec or Spin Tech? Spintec comes up with some electronics system product.

My main concern (for now) is whether or not they will fit! :P

While I have a question thread made now, I will ask this too, does anyone know what year wing would fit on my car? People tell me the 86 GT one would not, so I'm curious.

[This message has been edited by Samohtneas (edited 06-18-2008).]

DCRFiero1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2008 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Here is where to get good mufflers you KNOW that will fit. www.westcoastfiero.com the have a spintek muffler, and a modified flowmaster 40 series that will fit. I know it fits because I have it on my 85 GT. Both mufflers sound aggressive but I love the way the 40 series sounds. It is a low, aggressive rumble. Check out the web site. The can even build cat back systems for you.

[This message has been edited by DCRFiero1 (edited 06-18-2008).]

Samohtneas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2008 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasDirect Link to This Post
Fantastic, thanks a ton DCR. I'll definitely be getting the 40 Series from them now! =)
Samohtneas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2008 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasDirect Link to This Post

Samohtneas

310 posts
Member since Nov 2007
I've got another question but I didn't think making another thread that is bound to be deleted like this one now that the problem is solved.

Does anyone know what year wing will fit on my 86 SE?

[This message has been edited by Samohtneas (edited 06-18-2008).]

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2008 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Samohtneas:

Any.

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post06-18-2008 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
I luuuuv the sound of the cherry bomb you just use a single to 2 adaptor,,real hassle on V6 ,its quiet at idle but sounds so good going thru the gears. the best for duke ,takes more effort for the dual setup on V6 I drill holes in the clamps to fit springs

you can mount passenger side as dummy also
I run cherry bomb in place of cat or behind a performance cat
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2008 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
Just my $0.02.............

Fieros came from GM with stainless steel exhaust systems. My 86 SE 2.8 4 speed has the original exhaust (less cat) and sounds awesome. I get lots of people saying - "what did you do to your car to make it sound that way?"

Don't try to make your 6 sound like an 8. Let it crackle like a good V-6 should! (saves $$$$ also)
megafreakindeth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2008 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for megafreakindethSend a Private Message to megafreakindethDirect Link to This Post
i went to a performance shop and had them just make one. i had them remove the springs that hold it up and replace them with rubber hangers to reduce noise, told them the muffler i wanted and how i wanted it done. they made it to fit my setup(trueleo headers) and 2.5 in mandrel bent steel. they gave me alifetime warranty on leaks at the welds and stuff they personally did, all for 340 dollars. beats any of the ones available online in my opinion.

strangly enough, going to a straight thru muffler, one tailpipe, and 2.5 in exhaust it ended up being much quieter at idle and low speeds than the stock exhaust, even the shop was supprised that going from such a small pipe to a big pipe made it quieter. internal vibrations(NVH) are also much lower which i attribute to the rubber mounts vs the metal spring mounts. you can hardly tell its on standing 3 car lengths away, tho when i step on the gas its quite loud.
AquaHusky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2008 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AquaHuskySend a Private Message to AquaHuskyDirect Link to This Post
Don't 90-somethin' Duster spoilers fit as well? I know they look nice on our cars.

Edit: For a muffler, maybe you could split the exhaust just rear of the cradle and hang 2 12" glasspacks in the small straight on the sides of the rear trunk? That's what I did with my old 76 Malibu. Nice and loud, like I like it.

[This message has been edited by AquaHusky (edited 06-18-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Samohtneas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2008 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Just my $0.02.............

Fieros came from GM with stainless steel exhaust systems. My 86 SE 2.8 4 speed has the original exhaust (less cat) and sounds awesome. I get lots of people saying - "what did you do to your car to make it sound that way?"

Don't try to make your 6 sound like an 8. Let it crackle like a good V-6 should! (saves $$$$ also)

I don't necesarily want it to sound like a V8. I just want it to have an even more aggressive tone (and volume!) to scare the pants off everyone on the road =) Plus, I don't know where I can get a cat removed without replacing it, seeing as that's a tad bit on the illegal side.

AquaHusky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2008 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AquaHuskySend a Private Message to AquaHuskyDirect Link to This Post

Plus, I don't know where I can get a cat removed without replacing it, seeing as that's a tad bit on the illegal side.

Fiero Store and Rodney Dickman sell delete pipes. Check them out. And they are SS, so they shouldn't rust out.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
You would be surprised at how much "hush" is actually happening at the cat. Every V-6 Fiero I've had ended up with a deleted cat due to plugging or splitting, and they all just sounded great - very Ferrari-ish. Crackle, pop, loud. (The exhaust is stainless - it can look bad, but it's probably very solid - however the guts of the muffler are long gone over the twenty plus years of use.) Try it, you might find it's just what you're wanting, and save some $$$$$$$$$$$ in the process. Duplicolor makes a ceramic silver spray paint for exhaust systems that works well and can hide the age of the system.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
A Soundmaster or Flowmaster, not sure which, for a Camaro fits right into a Fiero. Don't know the specifics, but contact Robbie at RobsFieros at comcast dot net He's installed a number of them, including on his own car, and it sounds awesome. Just don't get on it too much in front of the cops. Ask Robbie about that.

And as for the wing, all Fiero wings will fit your 86 Fiero, though I've heard there may be a slight difference in the angle of the 88 stands.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 06-19-2008).]

Toms88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Toms88Click Here to visit Toms88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Toms88Direct Link to This Post
My '88 GT sounds just a bit different w/o the cat, but it's different in a good way . . . . .

Years ago, I had a (new at the time) '87 SE/V6 and I don't think it sounded as good with the cat on.

Good luck with your muffler decision!
Samohtneas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasDirect Link to This Post
I've talked with a friend and he think it would be a better idea to put my $250 into my non-repairs fund for things like full exhaust system, larger cam, intake, etc. He wants to help me turn it into a monster before I make it look and sound pretty.

I think I'll just snoop around for a cat cutter with delete pipes and save the money for something else =) I thank everyone for the advice though!
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
fierostore sells the cat-delete downpipes.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
Good decision on the exhaust, but if you want a monster, dump the 2.8 - money spent on trying to make HP from the 2.8 is wasted. A swap is usually alot more cost vs power effective.
Samohtneas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate all the help on where to get delete-pipes...

But my real issue is finding a shop that will cut the thing off in the first place!
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post

Any.....sort of. Fastback wing stands have a different bolt spacing than notchies, but all wing stands (except '84 Indy) have provisions for both. Also, I have seen differences in the angles of the corners of the wing between fastbacks and notchies too. Hard to see unless both wings are side by side......doesn't make any real difference though.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock