Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Th125 rebuild difficulties by 3057
Started on: 06-09-2008 07:21 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: 3057 on 06-14-2008 04:05 PM

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3057Click Here to visit 3057's HomePageSend a Private Message to 3057Direct Link to This Post
Hi all, I've got a TH125 out of a non-Fiero application that I'm about to rebuild--or, well, I was about to disassemble and rebuild--and I hoped that someone might have a quick-and-dirty answer.
The transmission in particular drove just fine, but wouldn't hold in park. Also the shift lever seems to bind and not allow anything in the range below D--I get P-R-N-D, but no 1 or 2. The kicker is that it will only drive in first gear; if you let up on the pedal, it will coast, not lock as it would do if you had it shifted into 1. Upon pulling the trans out and dropping the pan, the fluid appears to be in near-immaculate condition, but I found what appears to be the parking pawl broken into 4 shards in the bottom of the pan.
My question is two-fold: One, can you get a replacement parking-pawl (short of getting another trans and tearing it down just for that), and two, does the shift oddity sound like the pawl may have torn something up on the way out, a bent linkage in the transmission, or valve-body related?
Thanks in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
A TH-125H rebuild is too complex to cover in an online post so just buy a rebuild video and it will take you through the process step by step. The rebuild videos can often be found on eBay for around $25.00. I have rebuilt TH-125's and they are not that difficult to do

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's 4T65eHD
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3057Click Here to visit 3057's HomePageSend a Private Message to 3057Direct Link to This Post
I figure that; I've got a rebuild manual, and I've gone over the procedure enough times that I'm comfortable with it. The parking pawl issue is just something I've never heard addressed as far as replacement goes, and the shift lever binding up is odd as well. I was wanting to see if there were any yeah-duh things I was missing before I pulled it apart and found out for sure.
edhering

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

A TH-125H rebuild is too complex to cover in an online post so just buy a rebuild video and it will take you through the process step by step. The rebuild videos can often be found on eBay for around $25.00. I have rebuilt TH-125's and they are not that difficult to do

Don't you need special tools? The FSM says you do.

Ed
AlongForTheRide

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlongForTheRideSend a Private Message to AlongForTheRideDirect Link to This Post
Even better, why don't you make the 1.5 hour (each way) drive and buy a 1988, 80k mile TH125 for $50 OBO? It shifted great before I removed it at the end of last year for an L67 swap.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3057Click Here to visit 3057's HomePageSend a Private Message to 3057Direct Link to This Post
LOL--PM sent.
AlongForTheRide

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2008 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlongForTheRideSend a Private Message to AlongForTheRideDirect Link to This Post
Responded via email.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2008 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edhering:

Don't you need special tools? The FSM says you do.

Ed

No but it depeds on how well you can adapt and jury rig ordinary auto tool,

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's 4T65eHD
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2008 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3057:

Hi all, I've got a TH125 out of a non-Fiero application that I'm about to rebuild--or, well, I was about to disassemble and rebuild--and I hoped that someone might have a quick-and-dirty answer.
The transmission in particular drove just fine, but wouldn't hold in park. Also the shift lever seems to bind and not allow anything in the range below D--I get P-R-N-D, but no 1 or 2. The kicker is that it will only drive in first gear; if you let up on the pedal, it will coast, not lock as it would do if you had it shifted into 1. Upon pulling the trans out and dropping the pan, the fluid appears to be in near-immaculate condition, but I found what appears to be the parking pawl broken into 4 shards in the bottom of the pan.
My question is two-fold: One, can you get a replacement parking-pawl (short of getting another trans and tearing it down just for that), and two, does the shift oddity sound like the pawl may have torn something up on the way out, a bent linkage in the transmission, or valve-body related?
Thanks in advance!

Hey, not to ruin your fun, but you should take this opportunity to upgrade to a 4 speed automatic. The Th-125 is considered bullet proof (most of the time), but the 4T60 is a great all around transmission. It shifts firmer in stock form than a stock Th-125 does, you can get it with the same final drive, and it has the 4th gear for better highway cruising.

The swap is really quite easy. It requires new axles, but other than that, there's not much else you have to do. I'm seriously considering this in my Fiero. I've got most of the stuff I need to convert it to a manual, but I think for now, I'm just putting a 4-speed auto in it.

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible (Wife's Car)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 (3.2) 5-Speed
1984 Porsche 944 5-Speed
1981 Pontiac TransAm (Olds 455BB)
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2008 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3057Click Here to visit 3057's HomePageSend a Private Message to 3057Direct Link to This Post
I'm strongly considering it; there are enough late 80s/early 90s Cadillacs around the pick-a-part yards here, but if I can get a 3-speed for cheap I'll likely stick with it for simplicity's sake.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock