need help to buy correct Accumulator by pcwentworth
Started on: 06-09-2008 03:55 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: spark1 on 06-10-2008 09:34 PM
pcwentworth

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcwentworthSend a Private Message to pcwentworthDirect Link to This Post
I need some help I need to get an Accumulator for an 87 GT but I also need the switch. Looking on places like advanced auto it looks like there is 2 terminal and 1 terminal and different colors? Can someone help me with part numbers and places to buy?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nu2fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nu2fieroSend a Private Message to nu2fieroDirect Link to This Post
Online.. Fierostore.com
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post
www.smpcorp.com -- go to temp control section -- application look-up -- enter the necessary data and presto --- pictures, part numbers and "other parts" associated with the items you need. With a part# in hand most part stores can interchange into their part system. OBTW use the "four seasons" tab as it contains the most info.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
I think the different color switches that you mention are for the compressor. Those don't have to be changed when converting to R134a. If the switch on the old accumulator is adjustable, it can also be reused (it just unscrews). A new R134a cycling switch (if needed) shouldn't cost more than 10 bucks.

The accumulator should cost less than $20, more likely around $15. Watch out for the swivel top universal ones that can cost much more.

Notice the CSK stores sell the 4-Seasons model (#33181) for about $60 and the Fiero Store model is about $65. Shop around locally or just order online from ackits.com for $16.16.

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 06-09-2008).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
The clutch cycle switch is a separate part from the accumulator.

The switch can be reused, assuming it is good.
If you are changing refrigerants, the one you have may be adjustable, in what case it will work for R134.
If it is not adjustable, just get a new one that is. If it's not preset for R134, adjusting it is a pretty small tweak. It's a fraction of a turn of a screw.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

pcwentworth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pcwentworthSend a Private Message to pcwentworthDirect Link to This Post
Thank you everyone for your help!!!
ForceFedFlesh

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ForceFedFleshSend a Private Message to ForceFedFleshDirect Link to This Post
hey guys while on the subject heres a newb AC question......is that accumulater the ONLY thing that needs to be replaced in order to convert the Fiero to the newer r134 requirments?....or is there anything else......thanx in advance
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Some people will say replace the O rings around the system and the orifice tube but in my opinion the less you disturb the better and some of the pipes are sods to get at/off.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

I think the different color switches that you mention are for the compressor. Those don't have to be changed when converting to R134a. If the switch on the old accumulator is adjustable, it can also be reused (it just unscrews). A new R134a cycling switch (if needed) shouldn't cost more than 10 bucks.

The accumulator should cost less than $20, more likely around $15. Watch out for the swivel top universal ones that can cost much more.

Notice the CSK stores sell the 4-Seasons model (#33181) for about $60 and the Fiero Store model is about $65. Shop around locally or just order online from ackits.com for $16.16.

I have that accumulator from ACKits and it's not a direct fit. I told them and I am hoping they can get the correct one. The one fitting on the end is up against the rear wall. I had to install a 90 degree low side fitting to use it and the low pressure switch is now pokes out from under the cover. If you can find the right one, buy it.
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
The 84 is different:

The 85 - 88 should be as shown:

TK, are you saying the one you received is not like the one shown?
TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
My 86 uses the top accumulator (you list as for an 84). In my car you can't get either the low pressure gauge nor the low pressure switch on the fitting at the 9 o'clock position. I had to put a 90 degree elbow on that fitting so I could get the gauge on and the switch is on the other fitting.

When I fixed a leak in my 86SE a couple of years ago I replaced the accumulator and the one I got from Autozone was like the top one and fit perfectly.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 06-10-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

The clutch cycle switch is a separate part from the accumulator.

The switch can be reused, assuming it is good.
If you are changing refrigerants, the one you have may be adjustable, in what case it will work for R134.
If it is not adjustable, just get a new one that is. If it's not preset for R134, adjusting it is a pretty small tweak. It's a fraction of a turn of a screw.

Per the 4season site the R12 is Off 28 On 47 and the R134 is Off 21 On 42. About 20° window. So you say that if you move the adjusting screw (between connectors) you can move that window? Tks.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
i work at a parts store, this is a screenshot of the parts lookup...
the "net" prices are jobber. if you need it i can get it...

hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post

hookdonspeed

7980 posts
Member since May 2008
sorry, forgot to add, switch, you need to physicaly look at, they used a few diffrent ones.... (honestly they are usualy interchangable for the colors, just diffrent pressure ratings)just check to see if its 1 or 2 terminal
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Here's how the ackits accumulator looks mounted in my 88 L4. The odd pipe angles were used by GM to adapt the Fiero to a part "borrowed" from the small GM trucks (S-10, S-15 and Sonoma) where it was used from 1983 to 1993..

The same clutch cycling switch (ACDelco 15-1122) was used on many GM cars from 1978 through 1993. (No switch is needed on cars with the V5 compressor). Note: The switch is adjustable. To answer a prior question, the window between closed and open does move when the switch is adjusted. The hysteresis of the switch doesn't change.

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 06-11-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock