3800IISC cherry red exhaust manifold ? by fastback 88
Started on: 06-04-2008 09:34 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: darkhorizon on 06-07-2008 12:00 AM
fastback 88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastback 88Send a Private Message to fastback 88Direct Link to This Post
Just wondering what to check first, I've driven the car for 2 years now, I took it to the dells this last weekend 450 miles with
no problums when I got home my buddy wanted a ride in my car we went for a 2or 3 mile drive when we got to my dead end road
I stoped and did a 1/8 mile run when I pulled it in the garage and popped the trunk the trunk side exhaust manifold was cherry red.
I have a hot cam from zzp a 3.4 pulley running the stock 3800sc exhaust manifolds with a flowmaster muffler and 2 1/2" exhaust and had the pcm done by loyed this is the first time it has done this.What do you think I should check first.
Thanks Jeremy
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
There is no substitute for doing a complete scan of the PCM when you have problems like this. Sounds like a lean exhaust but a simple check of the LTFT and STFT's will tell you this. You can also check all parameters and sensor outputs. Don't guess, invest in a good scanner. Perhaps this is not the answer that you were looking for but IMO its the only way to work with PCM based engine controls. Quite frankly your problem could be any number of things, bad sensor, clogged injector, weak fuel pump etc.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's 4T65eHD
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Bad tune x2
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Bad tune x2

Yeah--All of a sudden after 2 years of running the same tune it would start causing problems. I do think you have either several personalities or there are a few differant people that post under your screen name. Some of the things you say just done make since then some things are right.

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

MstangsBware

11509 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by fastback 88:

Just wondering what to check first, I've driven the car for 2 years now, I took it to the dells this last weekend 450 miles with
no problums when I got home my buddy wanted a ride in my car we went for a 2or 3 mile drive when we got to my dead end road
I stoped and did a 1/8 mile run when I pulled it in the garage and popped the trunk the trunk side exhaust manifold was cherry red.
I have a hot cam from zzp a 3.4 pulley running the stock 3800sc exhaust manifolds with a flowmaster muffler and 2 1/2" exhaust and had the pcm done by loyed this is the first time it has done this.What do you think I should check first.
Thanks Jeremy

Are you running a CAT? Did you notice a lose of power? Anything sound differant?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I am willing to bet he has had the same tune for 2 years, and the same exhaust manifold issue for 2 years.
black88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for black88fieroSend a Private Message to black88fieroDirect Link to This Post
egr tube to the lim could be cracked have seen that, look for a big vac leak..

------------------
Parts for your FWD GM 97-07
Morad Parts Company
Ebay Store
Homepage

fastback 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastback 88Send a Private Message to fastback 88Direct Link to This Post
No cat and no EGR, could it be fuel pressure and how do you incress it
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fastback 88:

No cat and no EGR, could it be fuel pressure and how do you incress it

You dont get to mess with fuel pressure... It could be the pump giving out if it wasnt a walbro 255 pump. If you had a mechanical problem you would be getting check engine codes saying too lean, or whatnot, if you have a bad tune, you will get poor performance, a blown motor, and red exhaust from the extreme retarded timing coming from KR.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 06-06-2008).]

fastback 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastback 88Send a Private Message to fastback 88Direct Link to This Post
darkhorizon you have a pm

[This message has been edited by fastback 88 (edited 06-06-2008).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I am willing to bet he has had the same tune for 2 years, and the same exhaust manifold issue for 2 years.

Yeah--Red Hot manifolds is something most dont notice during 2 years of driving a car.
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2008 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Mine get quite red, I run highish 11 afr's and 16 degrees of timing on the street. I dont see it as a problem.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock