What did your bad ECM do ?? by NashvilleFiero
Started on: 05-27-2008 12:24 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: skstibi on 05-28-2008 12:41 AM
NashvilleFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post
When your ECM died, what did it do? Just trying to figure out why I can't get my 2.8 to keep running.

------------------
If you ever have a questions about the sincerity of the circle of Fiero owners on this site, take a look at:
"In Memoriam: Fiero Members"

Pretty impressive.....

Avatar is of an actual Fiero on fire

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
The only bad ECM I've seen wasn't a Fiero (but similar hardware) and it blew out an injector driver. There were no injector pulses period.

Will it run if you disconnect the MAP and O2 sensor? Ignore the codes. This will cause it to run open loop and with a default map value.

When you say "can't keep it running" does that mean it runs and then stops? Does it die off slowly or just quit and that's it? If it starts and runs and then quits abruptly, does the tach read while you crank it?

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 05-27-2008).]

Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Mine have died twice now, and the car just ran like garbage. I could drive it around, but starting was difficult with a warm engine, and it had a bad stumble. Replacing the ecm fixed both issues.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

The only bad ECM I've seen wasn't a Fiero (but similar hardware) and it blew out an injector driver. There were no injector pulses period.

Same here, injector just wouldn't ground via the ecm.

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Fuel pump wouldn't run and the tach didnt work.
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
'86 Corvette: Ran bad- too much fuel, checked codes and it said low oxygen sensor voltage, checked it at the sensor and it was doing what it was supposed to be doing, but on the scan data, it was at 0 mV all the time. No wiring problems so I replaced the ECM and it ran fine.
NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

Will it run if you disconnect the MAP and O2 sensor? Ignore the codes. This will cause it to run open loop and with a default map value.

When you say "can't keep it running" does that mean it runs and then stops? Does it die off slowly or just quit and that's it? If it starts and runs and then quits abruptly, does the tach read while you crank it?

tach works. will try the open loop. it ran ok when I first got it going (dead for 5 years), then gradually it ran worse and worse, as if running on 4 cylinders. have new fuel injectors coming this week. I will try that too.
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Did you check the fuel pressure?
NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

Did you check the fuel pressure?

35 ish, not 40
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
That's high enough it would run pretty normal.

Hmmmmm....... sitting 5 years without running? You might have some stuck or clogged injectors (or at least the screen at the inlet).

I would suspect a bad ECM yet.

Spark is strong?

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 05-27-2008).]

NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

That's high enough it would run pretty normal.

Hmmmmm....... sitting 5 years without running? You might have some stuck or clogged injectors (or at least the screen at the inlet).

I would suspect a bad ECM yet.

Spark is strong?

Spark is good

New MAP
New Coil
New Cap, plugs, rotor
New distributor and module
PFF
System Bot
skstibi

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2008 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skstibiSend a Private Message to skstibiDirect Link to This Post
It does not sound like an ECM issue to me. More like a plugged injector or plugged something rather. Does it idle at all? Does it run smooth above a certain RPM? Could it possibly be your timing. My timing was way off after I smacked it on accident one day (it was apparently a little loose too) and it only idled for about 2 seconds, was rough while running, and it had absolutely no power.

I hate those new distributors. I bought one and it made the car run so bad that I yanked it out and made an enemy for life here at the local Checker auto parts (I wanted my $195 back).
lol, you asked what my blown ECM did? It just fried my gauge fuse every time I tried to put one in. Ran fine tho, so no help here.
Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2008 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post
Old gas?
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2008 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Adam:

Old gas?

Wow, good one!
skstibi

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2008 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skstibiSend a Private Message to skstibiDirect Link to This Post
"Old gas" yea. right.. Easy way to test that.
Open the filler cap, Stuff your nose in. If you already know what bad gas smells like, chances are you have had too many beans. lol, j/k.
If you don't know what bad fuel smells like, it smells a LOT different than good fuel and not in a good way.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock