WHAT DOES IT ENTAIL ? by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 05-24-2008 05:22 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Xanth on 05-24-2008 07:03 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2008 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
I am going to have to pull the gas tank in a 86 6 cyl I just bought to change the fuel pump.Is it hidden behind the inner fender ? Is this a "straight forward job"? I see the filler, but not the tank it self. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofinder

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2008 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderDirect Link to This Post
The fuel tank is in the center of the car. It is long and narrow. There are a couple of straps holding it up. Not that bad of a job, just be sure to disconnect all the lines before trying to drop the tank down. You can bust where the lines go into the tank. There only brazed in or something, and then you'll have a leak.
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2008 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2008 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
After jacking AND placing the stands in place (be safe) remove the center wide strap that you see located half way down the tank in this picture. Use your jack with a flat plate or a piece of wood to support the tank, than remove the forward and aft straps using a 13MM deep socket. Slowly lower the tank enough to gain access to the connections and fill tube. Continue to lower the tank all the way to remove the pump.
Of course remove as much fuel as possible to help in removal.

Remember to BE SAFE as the tank will be heavy unless most or all of the fuel is drained.
Also replace the "O" ring that will be under the lock ring.

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2008 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
SO THE GAS TANK IS LOCATED WHERE THE DRIVESHAFT WOULD ORDINARILY BE ?
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2008 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the link sjmaye posted covers it pretty much step by step.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock