Duke Exhaust by Kyle87
Started on: 05-21-2008 12:05 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: JazzMan on 05-23-2008 12:45 PM
Kyle87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2008 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kyle87Send a Private Message to Kyle87Direct Link to This Post
Okay... this might be a retarted question, but I'm going to ask... IF the exhaust was clogged or leaking BADLY would that in return make your fiero have to be 4200RPMS to 65mph ... furthermore... when i let off the accelorator.. the Rpms only drop to about 3900 or 4000.... ::crys:: with gas prices the way they are... I can't afford to have 5 mpg like this is trying to give me.. ...

Most likely other problems as well.. but would this contribute do you think?

PS.. No cat.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2008 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Definitly other problems, though I don't know what they might be, someone here will have an idea. Is you exhaust leak right by the engine at teh manifold, and has it been driven this way for many miles?
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2008 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Idle only dropping to 3900 to 4000?!!! Man alive, sounds like you have a huge vacuum leak somewhere. Ok, what year Duke is this? Check to see if the throttle isn't sticking, check to see that the throttle plate is closing all the way (engine off at idle). Dukes are pretty simple, you have PVC vacuum, brake booster vacuum, couple of small vacuum hoses and that's about it. I really don't think that you could reach 4000 RPMs if you had a clogged exhaust.
pswayne

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2008 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pswayneSend a Private Message to pswayneDirect Link to This Post
What year?
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post05-21-2008 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
First check the throttle cable to makesure it is returning,check codes as directed in service manual and forum
check for vacuum leak ,first check at E G R.pull egr hose and plug, next check M A P hose check all vacuum hose for split or leak
check T B I to manifold bolts check 2 screws that hold top of T B I to lower half
check manifold to block bolts
look in T B I while running (hmmm4000rpm) at low rpm there should be a steady flow of fuel sort of like surf if to much fuel is spilling out it is injector problem,, if you stop flow from T Bi and it runs better ??
the tps could be installed wrong ,, a common problem or it is sticking check it
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2008 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
It's an 87 if this is the same car he has been asking questions about recently. I forget if it is a 6 or 4 cyl.
Kyle87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2008 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kyle87Send a Private Message to Kyle87Direct Link to This Post
It's the 2.5... Yeah this runs really rich, I think the high RPMS may have to do with the fuel/air mixture.. if it runs really rich at idle, at higher speeds maybe its burning that fuel that normally can't be burnt fast enough.. threre for keeping the rpms higher... I don't know.. Vaccum leak is what I originaly thought because thats what everything points to.. however I have yet to find a leak, and I've replaced all of the hoses. Someone is going to have to kill me if I can't solve this one....lol

[This message has been edited by Kyle87 (edited 05-21-2008).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
A 4 cyl and it stays at 4000+ rpms????
Amazing it is still all in one peice. And how the heck do you get it in and out of gear without ripping the dogbone and mounts right off the brackets? I clogged up exhaust usually won't allow it to reach high rpms--at least not very quickly, Won't scavenge out effeciently enough to allow the tb to flow enough air in.

When it's "idling" at 4k rpm, how far open is your throttle plate?

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-22-2008).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Ya, we could use info such as...
-were repairs done to the car (besudes vacuum line replacement)? I.E. is it all stock?
-Is it the original engine, or was it swapped in?
-Did it ever run well while you owned it?
-Do you own it or are you fixing it for someone? Maybe they have more details.

It is a very high rpm, even in an auto you would probably wreck the trans fairly soon if driven much dropping it in gear at 4k.
Kyle87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kyle87Send a Private Message to Kyle87Direct Link to This Post
Sorry it took so long to respond, I've been busy with school and such...

The car has -

New - Plugs, wires, Ignition Module, Air filter, PCV valve, Vaccum hoses, Alternator, Fuel injector, Fuel filter, As well as the TBI has been cleaned very well.

Thats what I can think of off the top of my head..

The engine is the original Tech 4 - I am the Owner and of the veh.. It's not an everyday drive, but when I do take it out I like it run well

The car sat for 2 years without use in a field.. I got it for free and have restored most of it, but ever sence I've had it it idles high and lacks power, high rpms. so.... Not sure what else..

I've checked the MAP sensor and IAC.. they seem to be working properly.. I suppose it could be a problem with the TPS sensor.. I'm not sure if I can test it or not..

The transmission I believe is fine, I can feel it shifting into all 3 gears, but I don't know too much about transmissions to be able to "feel" if its shifting right.

HOPE THIS INFO HELPS!
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2008 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The tranny has a lockup torque converter, it should feel like it shifts into "4th" gear when you're cruising at steady speeds above 45mph. If you're driving along at a steady highway speed and you tap the brake with your left foot while maintaining a steady throttle with your right you should see the RPMs jump up as the converter unlocks, and after a bit you'll see the RPMs drop as it re-engages.

JazzMan
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock