Glue for speaker grille fabric by Fierotoyboy
Started on: 05-19-2008 05:11 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: redraif on 05-23-2008 11:36 AM
Fierotoyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotoyboySend a Private Message to FierotoyboyDirect Link to This Post
I know this has been discussed in many previous threads, and I looked at all that came up on search. I am still not 100 per cent sure what the best glue is for the speaker grille fabric. I bought the fabric from Rodney (great stuff - looks just like the original) and he included instructions, but they just said "spray glue". Anybody know of a glue that works really well, for sure? (part number would be awesome) Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
If you go to a fabric store, ya' know the needle 'n thread kind, they will likely have spray glue used for fabrics. That's what I use.

Hope this helps.

Arn
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2008 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
arns is so correct and also the fabric store is a supplier of many fabrics such as head liners ,many wal marts have this in thier stores
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
I used hot melt when I did mine. I just did one side at a time and waited till it dried. Worked out great!
Marc
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
I used the spray glue that Mr. Mike sent with the uphoslery seat covers I purchased.
t697

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for t697Send a Private Message to t697Direct Link to This Post
just pull tight and hot glue underneath where it can't be seen, it will look great I have done it on three different fieros
Fierotoyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotoyboySend a Private Message to FierotoyboyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. The instructions Rodney included said that the entire grille needed to be lightly sprayed to hold the fabric down (as was done originally by GM). Not something you could do with a glue gun, but I suppose there's more than one way to skin a cat. Appreciate the replies. I'll try the fabric store.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Actually there is another way, if the grill cloths are not ripped.

Buy a can of flat Krylon black paint. The grill cloth comes out charcoal colour and looks brand new.

Arn
Mister

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
I used the M3 Super 77 glue spray (had it available) you have to use it VERY lightly so it doesn't soak the fabric.
Remember that with that spray once it touches it stays

Fierotoyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotoyboySend a Private Message to FierotoyboyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks there was some discussion before about 3M 77. Sounds like some people sprayed it too heavy. I might get that stuff and practice a bit with it on some other items.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Did 2 pair with hot glue--been good for over 3 years now, and I am not very good at that sort of stuff at all..
PFF
System Bot
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by t697:

just pull tight and hot glue underneath where it can't be seen, it will look great I have done it on three different fieros

This is kinda the proper way to do it. I simply do what the factory does. use a hot soldering iron to melt it into the plastic. the cloth is not supposed to be glued down on the face but stretched over it. if you dont want to do the harder to do melt it in trick then a bead of glue over one side, let it dry, do the other side stretching it, let it dry, then do the ends.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
I cut about 80% of the bars out of the plastic plate, left enough to support the fabric and provide some protection to the speaker - improves the sound quality immensely - especially the high end.
Fierotoyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotoyboySend a Private Message to FierotoyboyDirect Link to This Post
Joe - why didn't I think of that? Sounds like a great idea. I will try it. I have a bunch of grilles - trying several things - let me guess - you are an audiophile who removes the grilles from his home speakers?

The best speaker grilles - NONE!
Fierotoyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotoyboySend a Private Message to FierotoyboyDirect Link to This Post

Fierotoyboy

265 posts
Member since Feb 2005

Originally posted by timgray:

This is kinda the proper way to do it. I simply do what the factory does. use a hot soldering iron to melt it into the plastic. the cloth is not supposed to be glued down on the face but stretched over it. if you dont want to do the harder to do melt it in trick then a bead of glue over one side, let it dry, do the other side stretching it, let it dry, then do the ends.

Thing is, when I have peeled the factory fabric from the plastic, the fabric does seem to be glued. Maybe it's not - maybe it just bonded from years of heat and exposure.
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mister:

I used the M3 Super 77 glue spray (had it available) you have to use it VERY lightly so it doesn't soak the fabric.
Remember that with that spray once it touches it stays

I used the stronger #M version... I think 93? WOW the mind is not a steel trap anymore. Yes use it lightly because if it soaks through it will look quite aweful. Back in the day I let a shop recover my birds when they redid the headliner. Now I do my own....

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock