Question about replacing shocks and struts by Ditkaphile
Started on: 05-19-2008 11:41 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Ditkaphile on 05-19-2008 07:59 PM
Ditkaphile

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DitkaphileSend a Private Message to DitkaphileDirect Link to This Post
I purchased a set of shocks and struts on ebay, set of Gabriels. They were cheap, but this is an '84 coupe that is merely a daily driver, and I don't really have have any performance needs for this car. So my question is:

Should I purchase any other related accesories for the installation? Hardware, pads, etc.? Or would it be ok to just install the shocks and struts? I believe everything on this car is still original...sure feels like it, since when I hit a pothole it feels like the car is going to break in half!!!

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NashvilleFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post
replace all of the rubber bushings with Prothrane. you will see a big difference!

------------------
If you ever have a questions about the sincerity of the circle of Fiero owners on this site, take a look at:
"In Memoriam: Fiero Members"

Pretty impressive.....

Avatar is of an actual Fiero on fire

NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post

NashvilleFiero

555 posts
Member since Apr 2008
replace all of the rubber bushings with Prothrane. you will see a big difference!

------------------
If you ever have a questions about the sincerity of the circle of Fiero owners on this site, take a look at:
"In Memoriam: Fiero Members"

Pretty impressive.....

Avatar is of an actual Fiero on fire

antinull.com

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
i wouldnt do poly mounts if its a DD the car gets stiffer
but u might want to replace the old rubber with new rubber
Ditkaphile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DitkaphileSend a Private Message to DitkaphileDirect Link to This Post
As much as I would love to switch over to poly, I don't have a place to do the work on the car myself, and I have neither the tools nor the mechanical aptitude to tackle a job like that. If anything, I would order a kit with rubber bushings (OEM replacement style) which would still be worlds better than my 24 year old parts. My question is actually more in reference to things like spring pads, mounting plates, hardware, etc. In other words...installing new parts (the shocks and struts only) but retaining old hardware and such.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
rear a-arm poly is a very good improvement

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
As for your question: "Should I purchase any other related accesories for the installation? Hardware, pads, etc.? Or would it be ok to just install the shocks and struts"?Just install them.First mark the location of the three nuts, at the top of the strut in nthe engine compartment (the big center nut isn't removed,by you) .From what I remember,your going to have to take your struts to most any auto shop and have the new struts swapped over,if they ask,just tell them your doing it your self.You can easyiley do the front shocks.Buy a minney grease gun and grease the chassie while the car is in the air.You might want to install and end link set,while you gave the car in the air (Autozone,about $16).
Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
You may want to check out the condition of the dust boots that cover the shaft of the struts. Generally the boots are bad on most Fiero's. You may need some bolts that hold the struts to the rear knucles since they seize easily.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2008 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
Strut replacement is not a beginners job ,If you have a lot of experience in auto repair and a manual go for it remember the motor heads on the forum concider the transmission drop "" no problem "" you can eyeball the assorted rubber components and decide if you want to replace make legibel marks to ease remount use 5 marks up top if you have little experience
The chilton manual has a good section for this mark top and bottom
Do not do this unless confident of your ability this is an easy inexpensive job at many garages especially those that specialize in brakes and supensions.. shops that do this all day
It is not to difficult to do if you want to attemp just make sure to keep alignment use level to check wheels before you remove and recheck after install
I often make up a piece of cardboard as my own alignment tool ,with the level I attain real close alignment.. works real well if you have center line in tire
Ditkaphile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DitkaphileSend a Private Message to DitkaphileDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate all of the feedback guys. I did a complete cradle drop last summer. All by myself in a tiny one car garage, with no service manual, and up to that point I had never even done so much as a tune up by myself. So I am confident enough. But I lost my workspace (it has become a storage unit for all intentions).

I guess the reason I asked this question was fierostore's website. They offer a strut package which includes some accessories (spring pads,etc) so I figured as long as I am diving into it I might as well do it right the first time. I think I may do the front shocks myself and take the car to my guy (NIFE member, owner of several Fieros, member here, and service manager at a local shop) and let them do the struts.

And regarding the aforementioned cradle drop I successfully completed, it was only possible due to much help from all of you kind people!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock