Rear Brake ? by nu2fiero
Started on: 05-17-2008 02:49 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Arns85GT on 05-19-2008 12:04 PM
nu2fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nu2fieroSend a Private Message to nu2fieroDirect Link to This Post
Yes , can anyone tell me the difference between the 88 gt rear calipers and an 87gt? Are the spindles the same and could a person just mount the 88"s calipers right on an 87? Thanks..
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nu2fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2008 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nu2fieroSend a Private Message to nu2fieroDirect Link to This Post
BUMP
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2008 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
If you can do it, I'll be the first to follow as I absolutely hate the pre-88 brake set up. We've got alot of sharp folks here on the forum, there must be some reasons that this has not been tried before besides the fact that the rear calipers are mounted differently on 88 models.

86 rear brakes are mounted towards the front of car (use muffler for orientation).

88 brakes are mounted towards rear of car, (use air intake for orientation).

------------------
jetman
Silver 86 SE 2M6 4-speed, with
"check wallet light"
Now fortified with 8 essential slices of bacon goodness

nu2fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nu2fieroSend a Private Message to nu2fieroDirect Link to This Post
Well thanks Jetman for the comeback. I read on this forum that the 88 brakes were a vast Improvement over the earlier models and was wanting to know why that is? Alot of people do brake ugrades on their cars using parts off other makes, could it be as simple as installing the 88 fiero setup on an earlier model to have better OEM brakes??? Now I am not talking about people who race or Ralley their cars I can see why they would need a better setup I am just talking about us plain folk who use them as everyday drivers and wish we could have a little better braking. JUMP IN GUYS if anyone has any info on this.
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
I will admit that I despise the pre-88 brakes so much that I would actually consider swapping in an 88 cradle. Not sure if it can be done though. In the mean time while you're waiting for others to chime in, you may wish to visit the ogre's cave as he has good information about the Fiero brakes. http://home.comcast.net/~fierocave/
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post
The pre 88 brakes are single rotor systems. the 88 brakes are a double rotor, center vented disc design. The caliper is wider where the disc goes through it.
The orientation shouldn't matter. the goal is keep the bleed valve facing up.
I don't know much more about the 88 brakes other than the 88 are a one year only and hard to get and I was under the impression that the bolt pattern/spacing of the caliper is different enough to not allow it. also, the 88 front rotors are hat with separate bearing design.
other than that, someone else should know more about why 88 brakes won't go on pre 88 fiero's
I would say upgrade to the le barron brakes or the grand am for better stopping power and availability of parts.

[This message has been edited by IFLYR22 (edited 05-19-2008).]

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
The Caddy rear brake conversion is going to do the job. The bleeder is on top and there is info on how to do it. Not terribly pricey and worth comparing with trying the cost against an 88 conversion cost.

Arn

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock