Body Panel Sealing by slipstick
Started on: 05-16-2008 09:02 AM
Replies: 1
Last post by: randye on 05-16-2008 10:00 AM
slipstick

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slipstickSend a Private Message to slipstickDirect Link to This Post
I've taken most of the body panels off of my 84se to repair rust at the frame rails and etc. Most of the panels use foam strips or sticky butyl sealant that is dried out and brittle. I hadn't found a discussion of replacing these on a quick search of this site. Is the sealant replaced using pre-formed foam weatherstrip or window sealant from the hardware store or is there another source such as the Saturn dealership?
Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by slipstick:

I've taken most of the body panels off of my 84se to repair rust at the frame rails and etc. Most of the panels use foam strips or sticky butyl sealant that is dried out and brittle. I hadn't found a discussion of replacing these on a quick search of this site. Is the sealant replaced using pre-formed foam weatherstrip or window sealant from the hardware store or is there another source such as the Saturn dealership?
Thanks.

Thin bead of silicone sealant should be good enough.
It's most important on the doors only to keep blown rainwater out.
You can probably ignore the seal on the rear quarter panels just aft of the doors, (at least I did)
IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock