Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Best way to access steering rack to adjust?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Best way to access steering rack to adjust? by solotwo
Started on: 05-14-2008 08:17 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: FieroRumor on 05-19-2008 08:18 AM
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
I havent had time to look at it, between work and school I have no free time. But I will have to squeeze the adjustment in to take out the 1/2" play I have. Would it be best to take the spare tire tub out and access it that way? Do I need to have the front off the ground? I want to do this first before getting a new rack.

Thanks,

S. Williams
G.R. Michigan
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yes, remove the spare tire tub.
tho, you may be able to reach around & up to access the adjustment nut without removing tho - worth a try

Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Whoa, there's an adjustment on the rack? What does it do?
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
I am under the impression that you can adjust the play by tightening a screw. Sorry I dont have my books here at work to explain it better. But anyway I am tired of the 1/2" play in the steering.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
the pinion is held against the rack with a spring loaded bolt. you set it by turning the bolt all the way down, untill it goes no more, then back off a 1/4 turn, then tighten the lock/jam nut. the jam nut is like 3". rodney sells a tool.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
Pyrthian that is what I have heard. My original question was/is what is the best way to access this. I havent looked yet but I am thinking that I can take the spare tub out and get at it.

Thanks
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yup, I took my tub all the way out. the jam nut is on top of the rack, and tough to get at from underneath. tho, not impossible. if ya got ramps, I'd run it up the ramps first, and take a peek. you may be able to get at it. if you never had your tub out yet - it's a PITA the first time. after that - its super easy - them stupid rubbery screws...
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm, I'll have to check mine out. I've had this slight steering clunk driving me nuts that I can not for the life of me find.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
Yup had the tub out when I had the rack installed. It wasnt real bad to do! Thanks for the info! No I didnt install the rack.

Steve

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 05-14-2008).]

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:
Hmmm, I'll have to check mine out. I've had this slight steering clunk driving me nuts that I can not for the life of me find.

this adjustment is the pinion preload. it will only cause shaking/loose steering wheel, and slight wander on freeway. clunks are usually balljoints or springs.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
I believe it's called the "preload castle nut" - I accesed it through the top.

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 05-14-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
FieroRumor Thank you!
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

FieroRumor Thank you!

No problem-o. Mine was really tight - I used some PB-Blast on it, and that seemed to help a lot...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock