Syphon gas tank?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Syphon gas tank? by chester
Started on: 05-13-2008 02:56 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: NashvilleFiero on 05-14-2008 10:15 AM
chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2008 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
What would be the easiest way to syphon the gas out of a Fiero gas tank without dropping the tank? I tried to get a hose down the filler neck but of course theres a stop in the tube. Anyone successfull in getting a smaller hose past that point? Any suggestions?

Rob D.

------------------

The Dirty Rat
Chopped, dropped and just plain NASTY! Choptop Targa #1
383 Stroker MPFI with N2O
1" Drop
3" Chop
11" Brakes
19" Motegi Roja's wrapped in BFGoodrich Gforce T/A KDW-2 rubber
RCC Coilover Suspension

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2008 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
Is the fuel pump good? Why not just disconnect the fuel line gonig into the engine and feed it into a gas can then apply 12V pwoer to the fuel pump pin on the ALDL (is it terminal G?).
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2008 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
That's an idae, I wanted to use the pump but it kicks off after a few seconds when you turn on the key and I didn't know you can jump it manually on the ALDL plug. Could someone verify that this is possible and that G is the right pin? I need ot get the old gas out of the Rat so I can get it started again.

Rob D.

Originally posted by Hank is Here:

Is the fuel pump good? Why not just disconnect the fuel line gonig into the engine and feed it into a gas can then apply 12V pwoer to the fuel pump pin on the ALDL (is it terminal G?).

AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2008 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post

Use a jumper wire to connect the Orange wire from your cigarette lighter to terminal "G" of the ALDL (shown above). This will run your fuel pump.

------------------
87 SE V6 Turbo

Screw the L67...

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2008 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Sweet thanks!

Originally posted by AutoTech:

Use a jumper wire to connect the Orange wire from your cigarette lighter to terminal "G" of the ALDL (shown above). This will run your fuel pump.

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2008 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

chester

4063 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Thanks for the heads up - mission accomplished!

Rob D.
NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2008 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chester:

Thanks for the heads up - mission accomplished!

Rob D.

I need to yank my tank. How hard was this for you and about how long did it take?
Thanks!
Brit

------------------
If you ever have a questions about the sincerity of the circle of Fiero owners on this site, take a look at:
"In Memoriam: Fiero Members"

Pretty impressive.....

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2008 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
By far, IMO, the hardest part of dropping the fuel tank is getting the fuel lines off. There just isn't much room to work, and the hoses have likely been on there a long long time. Took me about 2 hrs the 1st time I did it. About 45 minutes the last time--not counting the time it took to get the car jacked up and supported safely. I've heard the best way to do it is to straddle a ditch with the car.
Not that bad of a job really.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-13-2008).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2008 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Took me about 2 hrs the 1st time I did it. About 45 minutes the last time--not counting the time it took to get the car jacked up and supported safely. I've heard the best way to do it is to straddle a ditch with the car.
Not that bad of a job really.

I had the same experience. I dropped three tanks in one day and by the end I was able to do it in about 45 minutes. I dropped one from my parts car then I put it on my car, then I found out I wired the pump in reverse and had to drop it to fix that.

One trick is to jack the car up on one side like this:

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2008 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Nevermind....

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-13-2008).]

NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2008 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I had the same experience. I dropped three tanks in one day and by the end I was able to do it in about 45 minutes. I dropped one from my parts car then I put it on my car, then I found out I wired the pump in reverse and had to drop it to fix that.

One trick is to jack the car up on one side like this:

Thanks. This will make another apartment parking lot project. Neighbors love me!!!

------------------
If you ever have a questions about the sincerity of the circle of Fiero owners on this site, take a look at:

Pretty impressive.....

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2008 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
On my 84 4 cyls, I just had to remove the firewall heat shield, (so the wire connector would fit thru it)remove 4 bolts holding the center cross plate, loosen the tank retainer bolts, and lower it down just enough to get the line clamps--then pry, pull, tug, and twist the fuel lines off. Once the fill line, pressure line, return line are off, finish taking the bolts off holding the tank up in place, and lower it down--watching the ac lines and try not to flip it over on you, because it will have a little gasoline left in it.
86GT3.4DOHC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chester:

What would be the easiest way to syphon the gas out of a Fiero gas tank without dropping the tank? I tried to get a hose down the filler neck but of course theres a stop in the tube. Anyone successfull in getting a smaller hose past that point? Any suggestions?

Rob D.

Is this why there was a hose jammed in my Fiero this morning when I went outside? How the heck did you find out where I lived anyway?!?

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 05:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Took a minute to get it jumpered and depending on your fuel pump, the slower took about 15 minutes to drain the tank. The
Rat with the hi cap pump took 5.

Originally posted by NashvilleFiero:

I need to yank my tank. How hard was this for you and about how long did it take?
Thanks!
Brit

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

chester

4063 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Hey, with todays fuel prices could you blame me?

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

Is this why there was a hose jammed in my Fiero this morning when I went outside? How the heck did you find out where I lived anyway?!?

NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post
When you pump it out put a lawn mower fuel filter in line to filter the fuel. Works great.

------------------

Pretty impressive.....

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock