Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Fooling 92 3800SC PCM for swap by 3057
Started on: 05-08-2008 12:39 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: 3057 on 05-09-2008 03:23 PM

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3057Click Here to visit 3057's HomePageSend a Private Message to 3057Direct Link to This Post
Alright, I'm set to commence on my 3800SC Series1 swap soon, and I'm contemplating wiring issues. Coming out of a 92 Bonneville, the engine was paired with an electronic auto, and before I start digging into it too heavily I'm wondering if I'd be better off building a resistor box to make the engine think it's in Drive all the time or getting a mail-order chip retune (I'm considering Sinister Performance) to remove the automatic issues from the PCM.
On this same note, would I need a Pass-Key for this year of car, or could I remedy that with one of the above solutions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
Are you planning on running a 5sp? It will have passkey Sinister perf. can turn that off aswell.

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
86 SE
sbc / 5sp

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I strongly urge you to consider using an OBDII PCM. OBD I is dead, has no support and no up to date programming software. OBD I is also very hard to tune with and if you modify anything OBDI makes it very difficult to achieve proper fueling . With OBD II you don't have to add any external boxes to allow it to turn on. Passkey can be defeated in the program and any code can be easily disabled. Use OBDI if you like but OBDII is really where its at right now.

------------------
87GT - with 3800SC Series III engine, 4T65eHD
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I strongly urge you to consider using an OBDII PCM. OBD I is dead, has no support and no up to date programming software. OBD I is also very hard to tune with and if you modify anything OBDI makes it very difficult to achieve proper fueling . With OBD II you don't have to add any external boxes to allow it to turn on. Passkey can be defeated in the program and any code can be easily disabled. Use OBDI if you like but OBDII is really where its at right now.

dennis, this is a S1 motor... let him use a modded obd1 pcm, it would work so much better for him. you can tune out passkey in the obd1 pcms just like you can in our obd2's.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3057Click Here to visit 3057's HomePageSend a Private Message to 3057Direct Link to This Post
I got the OBD1 PCM & chip with the motor, along with the engine/cabin wiring harness, with the interior connections cut (though I have a wiring diagram and a Chiltons manual, so I can likely figure which lines would connect to what). I'm leaning toward a Sinister mail-order chip (especially if they can "tune" Pass-Key out), mainly because they seem to be one of the few houses that specializes in older tuning. Any suggestions on someone(s) else to do it? Also, what would be involved in using a 96+ PCM with an older motor? I'd rather not have to do a full custom tune, the only big performance shop in town has a bad track record with anything that's not a Fox Mustang...
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

dennis, this is a S1 motor... let him use a modded obd1 pcm, it would work so much better for him. you can tune out passkey in the obd1 pcms just like you can in our obd2's.

Scott:
Please don't get the idea that I'm trying to tell anyone how to do their swap. I just believe that OBDII offers a few distinct advantages. If you take a look at how the MAF vs injector pulse width and the injector flow rate vs. MAP relationship relates to the PCM code only OBDII allows for this. You may be able to compensate for the loss of these relationship tables in OBDI but I would think that it is much harder to tune. OBDII is the next generation engine management system and also has far more support. Could you tune properly with OBDI? Probably. Could you tune better with OBDII? IMO most definitely. Just my opinion. If he does tune with OBDI I believe that Tunercat still offers the software.

------------------
87GT - with 3800SC Series III engine, 4T65eHD
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3057:

I got the OBD1 PCM & chip with the motor, along with the engine/cabin wiring harness, with the interior connections cut (though I have a wiring diagram and a Chiltons manual, so I can likely figure which lines would connect to what). I'm leaning toward a Sinister mail-order chip (especially if they can "tune" Pass-Key out), mainly because they seem to be one of the few houses that specializes in older tuning. Any suggestions on someone(s) else to do it? Also, what would be involved in using a 96+ PCM with an older motor? I'd rather not have to do a full custom tune, the only big performance shop in town has a bad track record with anything that's not a Fox Mustang...

A full custom tune (and then some) would be required for a obd2 swap, along with some modding and changing of o2, and maf sensors. The mail order ryan chip would be plug and go stock for stock.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3057Click Here to visit 3057's HomePageSend a Private Message to 3057Direct Link to This Post
Cool, I think that's what I'll do. I've got reliability as a top priority on this engine, so the closer to stock I keep everything the better. Will be getting in touch with Sinister soon...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock