!Help! by Homeland
Started on: 05-08-2008 12:01 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Homeland on 05-08-2008 06:19 PM
Homeland

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HomelandSend a Private Message to HomelandDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero stopped working. I drove to my friends house just fine although it was my first time driving a stick. i practiced in a parking lot getting it into first i did fine. i shut off my car then tried to to do it again and it was incredibly hard to get into first. until finally i couldnt anymore if i put the clutch all the way in it didnt start up but the whole car moved. i waited a couple hours and tried to do it again i barely got it into first and tried getting back home. the car lunged alot back and forth and at idle it ran rich and the rpms kept going up and down and i had to keep giving it gas otherwise it would die. i didnt trust it anymore so its now parked at a gas station... any suggestions what might be wrong. -runs rich -didnt have steady rpms -lunges (not my fault) -check engine light is on -unusually hard to get into first
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Homeland:
-runs rich -didnt have steady rpms -lunges (not my fault) -check engine light is on

check the codes and we'll go from there.

Originally posted by Homeland:
-unusually hard to get into first

clutch problem

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 05-08-2008).]

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
ECM errors codes and what they mean.
//www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes
Use the video above to see how to get them. Your other problem is a clutch problem, probably a bad slave cylinder as that one is the most likely to go first.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 05-08-2008).]

Dslice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DsliceSend a Private Message to DsliceDirect Link to This Post
From what you wrote it sounds like you might have more than one issue.

First off it sounds like your clutch is not disengaging properly. This is most commonly caused by a bad slave cylinder. It could also be clutch master cylinder, clutch line, clutch articulator lever(the lever the slave cylinder presses against), clutch pedal is bent, or worse case something with the clutch itself. Check for leaks around the cylinders and the clutch line. You could try looking in the master cylinder and check the reservoir for air bubbles or black debris which may indicate a bad seal. Tap the master cylinder and see if any bubbles show up. To check the slave, check the inside of the rubber boot, if there is fluid it is bad, though no fluid signs doesn't mean it isn't bad.
The lunging might be a whole different problem, that could be bad sensor or an ignition system issue, could be a fuel system issue or and EGR issue. You should find out what's tripping the check engine light. Does the car lunge only during acceleration? What engine are you running and what year? Is you car a 4 or 5 speed?
Homeland

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HomelandSend a Private Message to HomelandDirect Link to This Post
I drive a 87 4cycl 5-speed manual. the codes it came out was 13 (oxygen sensor bad) and 34 (MAP sensor bad) where are these two located? is it an easy quick fix the car is in a parking lot and i have a few basic tools. what should i check before i get new sensors? $23 for the o2 sensor and $40 for the MAP sound right?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock