Need suggestions about a post-overheating check by BazookaFiero
Started on: 05-07-2008 10:24 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: BazookaFiero on 05-08-2008 11:09 AM
BazookaFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaFieroSend a Private Message to BazookaFieroDirect Link to This Post
Okay, so I am putting a new alternator in my car after the 'incident' I had a little while back. After I get it in, I am going to attempt to get it back home. It is a 4 hour drive at least, so I need to make sure that it will survive. When the serpentine belt slipped off, it overheated and got up to about 275 - 290 degrees; I couldn't tell because the gauge only goes up a certain amount. All I can say is that it was WAAAAY off the scale.

My question is simple; what (other than the obvious things) should I check to make sure is safe? I am going to check the coolant levels, oil, wiring, etc., but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about other things that I should check. Thanks guys

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BazookaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaFieroSend a Private Message to BazookaFieroDirect Link to This Post
Master Bump

------------------

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
i THINK that the first major thing to go when you overheat is the head gasket. If it blows, it's not something you can miss . If not, nothing major has been damaged, although I'd also check ALL the hoses for blistering / cracking because high heat can weaken the rubber making it more likely to break down the road.

that's the best i can do
TG oreiF 8891

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TG oreiF 8891Send a Private Message to TG oreiF 8891Direct Link to This Post
Also make sure the coolant system is fully re-filled. I don't know of your situation, but you may have lost some coolant out the overflow tank. When I've overheated, the coolant pressurized, bioled over and had to go somewhere; vapors take up much more room than liquids. Mine filled the overflow reservoir and then continued to add steamy hot fluid to the reservoir overfilling it and releasing coolant out the overflow cap. Then, when it cooled down, it sucked up the coolant back into the system as it should, but it ran out and the overflow ran dry. Since it still needed more volume, it sucked air through the overflow tank and into the coolant hoses. This left me short on coolant not just in the overflow tank, but also with air in the sealed system.

Before going on a long drive, I'd make sure it was filled, and maybe take a few gallons of distilled water or 50/50 mix with you.

------------------
1988 Fiero GT
Cleveland Fiero Club

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
If damage has been done to the head gasket,the car will over heat again rather quickley.You should notice any problems rather quickley.You might consider removeing the thirmistat,untill you get home.
BazookaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaFieroSend a Private Message to BazookaFieroDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I'll definitely check the head gasket, and I checked the coolant level yesterday; it seemed alright. I put more coolant in after it did exactly what you said, TG. Thanks for the advice

------------------

[This message has been edited by BazookaFiero (edited 05-08-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock