Engine Compression Question... by Fosgatecavy98
Started on: 05-07-2008 09:32 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Fosgatecavy98 on 05-09-2008 08:51 PM
Fosgatecavy98

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Will intial compression PSI numbers be lower on a engine not run?

I squirted oil into the cylinders and got 150ish on 2 cylinders. Before the cylinderhead and gasket was changed I got
200+psi on the cylinders. The compression ratio is 10.1:1 and now w/ pistons its suppose to be 10.4:1.

The engine has only be turned over and not run yet so I was thinkign the gasket has to seat or something to get the compression up, since it hasnt been to operating temps yet.

Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Check compression without a lot of oil in the cylinder---then check it again with several squirts of oil. If it increases on the 2nd test, you have ring seal problem. If it does not, it is in the valve train.

The head gasket should seal right off the bat, without any run in or warm up--unless something has changed with head gasket materials that I don't know about.

A new build eng can have less compression at first, then compression should gets a bit better as rings wear in. Not a lot, but a bit.
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Check compression without a lot of oil in the cylinder---then check it again with several squirts of oil. If it increases on the 2nd test, you have ring seal problem. If it does not, it is in the valve train.

The head gasket should seal right off the bat, without any run in or warm up--unless something has changed with head gasket materials that I don't know about.

A new build eng can have less compression at first, then compression should gets a bit better as rings wear in. Not a lot, but a bit.

The head has 39k miles on it, the bottom end has 28k on it. Both havent been used for a few months. Im using ARP Headstuds and was worried I didnt torque them enough. All aluminum engine/head and I torqued to 65ft/lb.
I would assume I should get over 200psi.
StockGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StockGTSend a Private Message to StockGTDirect Link to This Post
Could valve lash adjustment be a factor ?
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by StockGT:

Could valve lash adjustment be a factor ?

I dont believe there is adjustment for for valve lash on these motors

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock