88 lower ball joint by Rick Mahoney
Started on: 05-05-2008 10:50 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Rick Mahoney on 05-05-2008 11:57 PM
Rick Mahoney

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick MahoneySend a Private Message to Rick MahoneyDirect Link to This Post
While replacing the rack in my 88 coupe, I noticed that the lower ball joint has popped out of the control arm. It didn't pull through it...just popped down and is now not mounted in the arm properly..........the spring tension is apparently holding the suspension arms in their proper places. I know these are the "press-in" type of ball joint...can it be pressed back into the control arm.....or do I need another arm??? Anyone ever heard of this/had it happen to them???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick Mahoney:

While replacing the rack in my 88 coupe, I noticed that the lower ball joint has popped out of the control arm. It didn't pull through it...just popped down and is now not mounted in the arm properly..........the spring tension is apparently holding the suspension arms in their proper places. I know these are the "press-in" type of ball joint...can it be pressed back into the control arm.....or do I need another arm??? Anyone ever heard of this/had it happen to them???

Its really hard to say without pulling the LCA out and looking at it. Maybe it was never fully seated and has been like that unless you installed it. If it is still a tight fit them the LCA might be alright. If you want a LBJ that has a snap ring for extra confort them order Rodney D. and they are press in with a snap ring for support.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Didn't some of them also have tack welds added? If the hole has not worn from movement you could put it back and have it tack welded in a few spots..

Rick Mahoney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick MahoneySend a Private Message to Rick MahoneyDirect Link to This Post

[B]Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Its really hard to say without pulling the LCA out and looking at it. Maybe it was never fully seated and has been like that unless you installed it. If it is still a tight fit them the LCA might be alright. If you want a LBJ that has a snap ring for extra confort them order Rodney D. and they are press in with a snap ring for support.

Rick Mahoney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick MahoneySend a Private Message to Rick MahoneyDirect Link to This Post

Rick Mahoney

8 posts
Member since May 2008
Thanks for the info.....maybe it did get replaced, once, and not properly seated.....I did it once on my other 88 and it wasn't an easy job. Those ball joint presses are difficult to work with. Rodney's snap ring sounds like a good idea.
Rick Mahoney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick MahoneySend a Private Message to Rick MahoneyDirect Link to This Post

Rick Mahoney

8 posts
Member since May 2008

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Didn't some of them also have tack welds added? If the hole has not worn from movement you could put it back and have it tack welded in a few spots..

Rick Mahoney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick MahoneySend a Private Message to Rick MahoneyDirect Link to This Post

Rick Mahoney

8 posts
Member since May 2008

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Rick Mahoney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick MahoneySend a Private Message to Rick MahoneyDirect Link to This Post

Rick Mahoney

8 posts
Member since May 2008

Originally posted by Rick Mahoney:

That's not a bad idea...I've seen some ball joints that had spot welds on them before.....now I know why!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock