Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Correct V-5 compressor control valve for r-134a?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Correct V-5 compressor control valve for r-134a? by cptsnoopy
Started on: 05-05-2008 09:31 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: cptsnoopy on 05-10-2008 03:04 AM
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
I have spent several hours googling this subject with no real success. I have purchased a new OEM Harrison V-5 compressor and it comes with an orange tipped compressor control valve. The only relation that I have been able to find concerning the color code and pressure is from websites selling a Chinese made V-5 compressor control valve. They list the different colors and related pressures for their control valves as:

This is what my new V-5 control valve looks like.

From the Chinese chart it would appear that I have the highest pressure valve which I think is the opposite of what I need for Phoenix, AZ.

Does anyone know the correct color to use for a V-5 control valve (made in the USA) that is to be used with r-134a in Phoenix, AZ? (ambients can reach 115-120 on the hottest days here)
Thanks in advance for any help.

charlie

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2008 05:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
I will try calling around to see if any of the dealers have a clue. My guess is that the control valve is good for either r-12 and or r-134a. The date on the GM sticker (on the box) says it was manufactured in 2000. Maybe that is late enough to have the correct valve.
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
I read in an A/C forum once that the different valves were used depending on the length of the high pressure line in the original application. All started with the switch to R134a. GM compressors made for the U.S. market have all been R134 since 1994.

Replacement valves are universal fit, one for R12 and another for R134a.

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
I saw on a thread that this AC-Delco 15-5452 part number was the correct one for r-134a. I asked the guy at One-Source auto parts to look up the part numbers for the 88 Fiero and then a 2004 Bonneville (3.8L). The 88 Fiero had a different number than the Bonneville. The Bonneville number matched the one that was said to be correct for the V-5 compressor using r-134a. It is color coded brown. The one I received with the Harrison compressor is color coded orange. Using the Chinese chart above, it looks like brown is at least in the middle of the range. I also asked for the high pressure cutout, and the low pressure cutout switches and was given what I show in the pictures below. I am not absolutely sure if these are correct but they do come up in several parts searches as the correct switch numbers.

AC-Delco part number 15-5452, V-5 compressor control valve for r-134a.

AC-Delco part number 15-2830, High pressure cut-off switch

AC-Delco part number 15-2831, Low pressure cut-off switch
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

I saw on a thread that this AC-Delco 15-5452 part number was the correct one for r-134a. I asked the guy at One-Source auto parts to look up the part numbers for the 88 Fiero and then a 2004 Bonneville (3.8L). The 88 Fiero had a different number than the Bonneville. The Bonneville number matched the one that was said to be correct for the V-5 compressor using r-134a. It is color coded brown. The one I received with the Harrison compressor is color coded orange. Using the Chinese chart above, it looks like brown is at least in the middle of the range. I also asked for the high pressure cutout, and the low pressure cutout switches and was given what I show in the pictures below. I am not absolutely sure if these are correct but they do come up in several parts searches as the correct switch numbers.

Keep us informed as to how it works out. I have to change my r-12 system out this year, and want to upgrade to r134 and want it to work right the first time. -Jason

spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Your switch numbers agree with my chart: edit: Ooops, but the colors don't!

The switches are the same for both R134a and R12.

The R12 valve is ACDelco 15-5310 and far as I know, those don't have a color code.

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 05-07-2008).]

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
The compressor control valves are not the same for both R-12 AND 134A . I got the correct one at NAPA, it was about $80.00. If you are going to try to cool a car in Arizona and you dont switch it out, it will not work correctly. It will nevedr cool down the your car. Also you will have to remove the compressor from the car to change it out, there by loosing your vacume and refrigerant. And maybe the dryer/ accumulator. I am in Texas, just north of Houston, ask me how I know.
Joe Crawford
Texas
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
Hi Fierofreak00, I will be sure to post the results. I suspect it will be too late for this summer unless this project car works without too many hiccups.

spark1, your color chart matches the switches on my old V-5. It is nice to see that is the case. Thank you.

josef644, I switched out the control valve to the only one I have vague information is correct for r-134a.
The swap out was not so bad when the compressor is new and not installed already. It does appear that it may be possible to switch it out with the compressor in the car but I think you would need to have the car in the air or over a pit as you would have to go at it from below. And yes, all the freon would escape...

Thanks for the input guys.

charlie
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2008 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
I posted the question about the V5 valve color code in the Arizona Mobile Air Forum and received this reply from GM Tech:

The variable stroke compressor control valves are calibrated to destroke the compressor at the stated pressures-- this is to avoid evaporator freeze-up while maintaining maximum efficiency (cooling) The ratings are different because of the use on different systems- the destroke pressure on a Cavalier is different than that of a 4cylinder S-10...hence the different calibrated valves-- this is basically due to the pressure drop from the evaporator to the compressor (where the control valve is) which can be a function of the length of the suction hose to the compressor......so in short does it matter??? If in doubt- go with the higher set valve- you will always avoid freeze-up but will sacrifice some cooling ability--but will it be enough to notice??? that is up to you to decide....I used to fix freeze-up complaints (they usually came from humid areas) on S-10s by installing the next higher set valve-- worked every time.

Just remember- you can't blow air through ice!!!

BTW, that's a great A/C forum to get answers your questions. Arizona Mobile Air is on Clarendon Ave, just south of Indian School and west of 35th Ave. They are good people to work with.
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2008 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks spark1,

I think I have purchased and installed a lower pressure valve than the one that came with the compressor. I would think the longer the line the lower you would want the pressure set in the valve. I might have it backwards but we know the Fiero has a very long line between the evap and the compressor. If I ice up then I will have this other control valve to use as a backup. I will report how it works if and when I get the Aurora powered 88 GT running.... Soon I hope.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock