Started on: 05-05-2008 10:05 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: fieroguru on 05-05-2008 11:59 AM
California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Does anybody know which dash instruments are wired through the ECM module.

Reason for question is that I'm planning a new engine, that will use a seperate unique engine control computer, and I need to figure out wiring details for the swap.

Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
The check engine light and the upshift lights do need an ecm signal.
As far as the rest of the guages....they work fine without an ECM (ran carb for a year without an ecm).
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
None of them. All Fiero gauges read directly from their respective sending units. You don't even need the ECM if you are running a carb.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys for the confirmation !
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
In some cases you can drive the speedo with a ECM, but otherwise you only need an ecu for dash lights.
couldahadaV8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Direct Link to This Post
So the wires that run from the various sensors on the engine (water temp and oil pressure) don't actually go into the ECM? I'm trimming down the harness for a V8 swap, with a carb, and was going to hook the ECM back up. If I don't use the ECM, then the sensor wires won't go anywhere. The wires terminate at the ECM plug now, so if I don't hook up the ECM, where do the various sensor wires go?

thanks,
Rick
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
The temp sender has a separate feed to the gauge and the ecm so no you don't need it.

Yes it does light the Check engine and upshift...but none of the traditional analog measurements go through the ecm.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by couldahadaV8:
So the wires that run from the various sensors on the engine (water temp and oil pressure) don't actually go into the ECM? I'm trimming down the harness for a V8 swap, with a carb, and was going to hook the ECM back up. If I don't use the ECM, then the sensor wires won't go anywhere. The wires terminate at the ECM plug now, so if I don't hook up the ECM, where do the various sensor wires go?

thanks,
Rick

the C203 connector - its the 15pin connector near the ECM where the wires go thru the firewall, under center console.
as mentioned above - the shift light & the "Check Engine" light are the only things on the dash which have ECM input.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by couldahadaV8:

thanks,
Rick

The easy way to do the carb wiring is remove all wires that connect to the ECM connectors (you will keep the 203 and 500 connectors, but none of the ECM ones). You will be left with starter, alt, A/C, ignition/dist, temp sender, fan thermal switch, oil pressure sender, VSS, A/C and fuel pump relays.... and a pile of other wires that are not needed.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock