Started on: 04-30-2008 11:03 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: cooguyfish on 05-01-2008 03:46 PM
cooguyfish

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post
So I'm trying to remove a fuel rail from an 85 GT and I'm at the point were I have the plenum off the car and can see the fuel rail/injectors but I can't figure out how to get the rail itself out. there are three metal lines coming in that seem to be in the way and I just thought I'd see if there is a trick to removing it or if I am just having a hard time and it's pretty much what it looks like.

thanks
-Brandon
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
88wht-t-top

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88wht-t-topSend a Private Message to 88wht-t-topDirect Link to This Post
You need to disconnect the 2 lines at the front, and the one at the rear (tranny side). Remove the bolts from the rail, disconnect the injector wiring, vacum lint to the regulator and that should be it. remember the injectors are in at an angle so there will be some resistance. Also when youy re-install watch out for the injector tips, they have a plastic type ring around them that can break if you force the injectors in. Also lube the O-rings in the mainifold, it will help with installing the injectors.

John
88wht-t-top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88wht-t-topSend a Private Message to 88wht-t-topDirect Link to This Post

88wht-t-top

98 posts
Member since Feb 2006
Excuse the spelling in my reply above. Small key board, big fingers
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Be sure you clean around the injectors and blow any dirt etc away before you pull them. You don't want crud falling into the engine.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post04-30-2008 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Yep, the injectors stay clipped to the injector rail. Though it looks like the V-angle of the injectors would prevent the injectors from pulling out, the bore in the manifold that the injectors fit into is large enough to allow the injectors to pivot as they pull out. Basically, after disconnecting the fuel lines from the two steel lines going to the injector block and removing the nut and cold start injector tube (it bends up and out of the way) you remove the two fuel rail bolts, then pry up on the entire rail and injector assembly to remove it from the lower manifold. Like Dodgerunner said, make sure things are clean before removing. A

Also, before you start you need to get some new O-rings for the fuel hose connections, they're a buck or two from the dealer and commonly available. Don't remove the fuel block (the part the lines connect to on top of the fuel rail) because the gasket underneath it is extremely expensive and hard to find. On the cold start injector tube you'll probably need new O-rings, you can go to http://www.rockauto.com and get the O-ring kit for it, runs around $10-15 or so.

Remember, it's not rocket science. (at least, not yet anyway...)

JazzMan
MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
Every time I remove the fuel rail, I find that it helps to de-clip one side of injectors. I use a long flathead screwdriver to push the tab on the clip over. It is possible to remove the rail with all the injectors attached, but you might as well detach them because it's a major PIA to put it back in with all the injectors attached. Either way, spraying some silicon lube (it has to be silicon lube) onto the injector o-rings helps.
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Do yourself a favor and believe Jazz, even if they look great , get new O rings!
cooguyfish

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:
Don't remove the fuel block (the part the lines connect to on top of the fuel rail) because the gasket underneath it is extremely expensive and hard to find.
JazzMan

I have bad news... I already did take that block loose. So let me ask this, I have two other 2.8's that I "could" pull the fuel rail off of. Does it make a difference if there are a lot of miles on the fuel rail? the ones I have have around 100K miles on them, but if the gasket is that expensive I might as well just use one of my other rails.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock