Maaco? by Kinextions
Started on: 04-29-2008 12:10 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: bonzo on 04-29-2008 09:07 PM
Kinextions

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KinextionsClick Here to visit Kinextions's HomePageSend a Private Message to KinextionsDirect Link to This Post
87 White GT.....
I would love to paint it Yellow or Black......
would you bring it to Maaco or someplace else?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
The more money you spend, the better the paint job.

I don't think it matters where someone works. It's the experience that he (the painter) brings to the table. Types of paints help that too.

PREP IS WHERE IT'S AT!!! The more you do, the better the finished product.
Kinextions

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KinextionsClick Here to visit Kinextions's HomePageSend a Private Message to KinextionsDirect Link to This Post
What exactly does "prep" mean. Do i sand the car down and if so, what type of sandpaper do i use? Do I take off the side panels?

cherokee 140

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cherokee 140Click Here to visit cherokee 140's HomePageSend a Private Message to cherokee 140Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kinextions:

What exactly does "prep" mean.

Big question. Prep CAN include but is not limited to removing EVERYTHING off the car that you can, door handles, molding, mirrors, lights and lenses.... The objective with this point is the less they have to tape off the better you are.

Then you want the body as perfect as you can get it. You don't have to worry as much about door dings as you do on a metal car, but you want the surface of the car to be smooth, close your eyes and run you hand over the fender, if you feel a dip or bump you need to fix it.

I have never painted a Fiero before but on metal cars you need filler to smooth out the body, and sand-sand-sand.

As to the question of where to take it, the place you talked about is the fast food of the paint world, sure it will fill you up but don't expect a 5 star meal. You can get good results from them, the paint will most likely be pretty thick, and they will paint everything. I would even put on junk wheels and tires if you have them.
redraif

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
Just a work to the wise about Maaco and the like. There is a reason they are cheap. Yes prep can get you a better quality paint job from them... you strip, tape, wipe, take off handles. Cause they will not. I have heard the cars get scrubbed down with comet before they get painted. That is not going to really get any real scaled paint handled or give you a good adhesion. They don't waste time taping the way you would want it. A tip will make the guy squat down to paint the lower part of the car to avoid the dry spray a tipless paint might get.

BUT they DONT use the same quality of paint as a reg shop. Their paint looks good for a few years and then its all over. The small supply cost is what keeps them in business. Its a place to go if you want to unload a car & the paint is shot and you want the body to look nice to get your price. Its not paint for someone who wants to keep the car for a long time. Though I have heard good things about their bodywork for repairs.

And no this info did not come from a reg shop trying to win my business. It was from a friend who works for Spies Hecker and runs a training center and works with paint everyday. He worked in a place like that when he was just starting. There are great painters & body men there, just not quality paint.

------------------
"I'm just a girl..."
1984 Indy Fiero Pace Car
1987 Red & Black Firebird: "RAIF" WEBSITE: www.redraif.com
OTHER CARS’ WEBSITES:
1982 Trans AM / 1990 Chevy Dually / 1976 Scout II / 1987 Nissan Pulsar

bonzo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kinextions:

What exactly does "prep" mean. Do i sand the car down and if so, what type of sandpaper do i use? Do I take off the side panels?

If you have No experience with sanding a car Do Not attempt this alone without some help from someone experienced. Experience with fiber glass helps but preping a Fiero for a good paint job is tricky. Cracked paint should be taken down to the primer or in some cases to the rubber. Cracks can be hid with filler primer but they will come back in time.
Good prep, Good paint (Base Coat Clear Coat) and the person running the gun are Key

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock