Clutch life expectancy by Indy 21046
Started on: 04-25-2008 10:29 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: jimbolaya on 04-25-2008 09:34 PM
Indy 21046

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indy 21046Send a Private Message to Indy 21046Direct Link to This Post
Mates,
I had a new clutch and flywheel installed 10K miles ago on my 86 Duke 5 speed at same time as Jasper Duke install. When I recentlly experienced shifting trouble, dealer service shop insisted clutch was bad and replaced it (4 times) without solving trouble (kept claiming bad new parts.) It turned out all I needed was a slave cylinder. I'm considering seeking $ recovery from the shop if I can show they should have known better. So I'm trying to find out the reasonable life expectancy on a replacement clutch... its gotta be more than 10K miles (?) Li'l help?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
100k is normal if not driven hard.

It will be hard to prove your point unless you have the old slave and documentation to support the issue

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
What a bunch of idiots at that shop.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

The dealer should have known to check the slave before even touching the clutch.
SCCAFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCAFieroSend a Private Message to SCCAFieroDirect Link to This Post
For someone who knows how to drive a stick on a typical car around here (99% flat roads) they really should not wear out. I have seen them worn out in 10k and some over 200k. The people who use the clutch to stop rolling backwards at a light get 10k.

That said, good luck getting money back. You can try but being an idiot or a bad mechanic is not a criminal act in this country. It also depends on how much you spent. Did you pay for 1,2 or 4 clutches or were the parts warranted each time? Did you pay the labor for 4 replacements or did the dealer eat any of them?
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Fool you once, shame on them. Fool you twice, shame on you. You should have asked here first, and certainly after the second clutch, not the fourth. I got 130k on my clutch. I do not drive it hard at all.

Jim

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock