Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Trying To Gather Info For A Better Understanding(pre 4.9 swap)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Trying To Gather Info For A Better Understanding(pre 4.9 swap) by Fieroracer87
Started on: 04-23-2008 06:03 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Fieroracer87 on 04-23-2008 07:02 PM
Fieroracer87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroracer87Send a Private Message to Fieroracer87Direct Link to This Post
Well i've been floating around this forum for awhile and finally decided to give in and remove my 4cyl this summer..so i've been researching details on the swap.
I understand alot about how its got to be wired and all and how i have to fabricate one mount(simple 1/4inch angle iron) but i read some archived info on the swap and heard that i would probably run into a problem with the fuel injection...given the information below minus what i know about the wiring and sensors needing to be changed what would i run into while doing the swap.

Engine is a 92 eldorado 4.9
Ecm is 91 deville
harness is from a 91 deville
trans is the 5spd isuzu
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blue Shift

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue ShiftSend a Private Message to Blue ShiftDirect Link to This Post
First bit of important info: Ditch the isuzu and convert to anything else, preferably a Getrag - it's not hard compared to the swap itself. People regularly blow up 2nd gear with ~200 ft/lb engines. You will assuredly do so with a 300 ft/lb engine.
Fieroracer87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroracer87Send a Private Message to Fieroracer87Direct Link to This Post
right now i am just worried about not running into fueling problems. I know i need to make the idler bracket (Bubbajoe website) but if i buy the memcal from the fieroaddiction website will i still run into the fuel issue?
Darren's 87 coupe

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darren's 87 coupeSend a Private Message to Darren's 87 coupeDirect Link to This Post
I have to say that the 5 speed has been a bad idea from all that I have heard. I have swapped mine over to an Automatic. Something I never thought I would do, but the 4.9 with the caddy's electronic shift and overdrive is the way to go especially if your engine has one already attached like mine did.

The 5 speed will add a lot more cost when doing the swap, and again during the owning period of the car, since as everyone has said, it will go through clutches quite often. If you are going to go with the 5 speed, I have heard that the Isuzu is just as good as the Getrag. Might look into that and make the decision for yourself.

The wiring is hard work, and takes a while, buut the actual understanding of it, is becoming more and more clear as more people do it. When I first wanted to do this, there was a lot of open ends so far as the wiring went, but now there are a lot of guys out there who have it figured out, and can help trouble shoot as you go.

All swaps are hard, but they are very worth the time and trouble, and this one is one of the easier ones out there I think. Just do it and the answers will come as you get to the individual parts of it. This has been done before, and the forum will give you all the answers you need.

Have fun,
Darren

------------------

Fieroracer87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroracer87Send a Private Message to Fieroracer87Direct Link to This Post
well i hopefully want to use it for some kinda motorsports...the 4cyl beefed up with a paecoalloyed crack and a decent set of rods is good enough for me autocrossing but i want to hopefully turn the fiero into a drift car...are there any write up for quad4 swaps around..just to see how hard it is as a backup option

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock