Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Help: what are those pieces in my oil? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Help: what are those pieces in my oil? by yellowstone
Started on: 04-20-2008 09:57 AM
Replies: 56
Last post by: buddycraigg on 05-01-2008 07:43 PM
yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday I changed the oil on my Fiero (87 GT with 2.8L V6) and found these pieces attached to the magnetic oil drain plug I have. They look identical and seem to have broken off something at the curved side. The pieces are about 0.5 cm (0.2 inches) high. What are they? The engine works fine...

------------------

www.yellowfiero.com
17" DEZENT T wheels with 215/40 tires front and 235/45 rear, KONI shocks, EIBACH lowering springs, drilled/slotted rotors, SS brake hoses. PU dog bone, all bushings and engine mounts, K&N air and oil filters, Rebuilt&blueprinted V6, BORLA exhaust. Mercedes SLK yellow paintjob, Mr. Mikes leather seats, door skins, shift and e-brake boots. MP3 deck and custom subwoofer behind passenger seat, F355 style front, Aus' Stage 2 side scoops, "Fie Ro" extractor front scoop. Fiero Store rear swaybar, strut tower brace, black carpet, air intake. Rodney Dickman's competition short shifter, SS vacuum lines and deck lid strut. Billet aluminum dash kit from Kitcarman.

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 04-20-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
They dont look much like they broke off of something, maybe something that got dropped into the engine? If they did break off of something, someone will know from where.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Can't recognize anything internal to the 2.8L. I would agree it may be that something got dropped into the engine. If the engine is running well and without any unusual noises, I wouldn't worry about it.

------------------
87GT - with 3800SC Series III engine, 4T65eHD
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I'm with the others. They don't look like anything I've ever seen in any of my engines.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Hey Yellow,
It appears that at one time it was a cylindrical peice. In other words, try re-arranging the pieces to form a circle. From this starting point, I cannot see that it once belonged within your engine. Most likely it was left behind in your oil pan during your last cleaning.

Cordially,
Kevin
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
They almost like the the lock tabs you bend up to keep a nut or bolt from turning. Which as far as I know don't exist inside an engine.
Don't look like they went though anything so guess I go alone with the others. Got dropped in somehow.

Do you have your oil changed by someone or do it yourself?

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
It is hard to judge the size here. Could they be tabs bent to hold the filter screen on the oil pump?

------------------

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
They do look like tabs that were bent over or welded to hold something. Maybe the screen as mentioned or to guide a seal. All the edges are finished except the one that appears broken off.

They could have been dropped into the engine. Wouldn't count on anything.

Are they fatal? wouldn't completely rule it out. If they were holding the screen and the screen falls out, the oil pump could suck in large trash that could kill it really easily.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
I change it myself - otherwise I would probably never have found out...

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Do you have your oil changed by someone or do it yourself?

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i cant tell by the pics,
are any of them shiny like they've been rubbing on something where i put the green lines?

are you measuring them? or just guessing they are 5mm?

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002
the only things i can think of are one of these from a valve spring resonator

or the 3 tangs on the slip disk of a distributor right above the gear.
(i'll see if i can find a pic of that)

i couldn't find a pic, but i talk about it at 4:03 to 4:24 in this video

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 04-20-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Damn buddy, you've got a good memory. I just looked at my old dist base and those pieces could easily be the 3 metal tabs you mentioned. They are very small, 5mm sounds about right. And they are connected right where the pieces above show to be broken.

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Good! Now, assuming these are the pieces, what could happen to the engine due to their failure?

One thing the engine has is valve chatter when it's cold but that goes away once it warms up.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:
Good! Now, assuming these are the pieces, what could happen to the engine due to their failure?

if it's the tangs on the distributor slip ring, the distributor housing will get ground away.

One thing the engine has is valve chatter when it's cold but that goes away once it warms up.

if you had a valve job while the engine was being rebuilt and they did not put spacer shims under the valve springs, then this could explain the problem.

you can pull the distributor and put it back in less than 30 minutes.
i suggest you try that first.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 04-21-2008).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Great help, I will do that and report back.

Great videos BTW...

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

you can pull the distributor and put it back in less than 30 minutes.
i suggest you try that first.

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 04-21-2008).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Great videos BTW...

thanks.
i'll be watching for a reply, as i also want to know where those little things came from.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

...as i also want to know where those little things came from.

Yellowstone should consider himself lucky. I believe those are alien transponders originally destined for Yellowstone's head which may have been mistakenly implanted into his oil pan.

Excuse me, there appears to be a black helicopter suddenly hovering over my house...
ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyDirect Link to This Post
they look like valve keepers to me.. but I've never opened up one of these engines so that's just a guess
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 04-21-2008).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2008 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Nope, that wasn't it. I compared the pieces to the retainer on a spare distributor I have and the broken-off pieces are much bigger. Here's a pic:

But it could very well be from a piece with a similar function somewhere else in the engine. Ideas?
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
BUMP for more ideas...
PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
If they are the right size they sure do look they may have come from a valve spring spacer. Maybe someones idea of a valve hight shim? Or did someone cut the lil ears of the head gaskets? Best call in CSI. If you dont determine for sure where they came from, bit the bullet and pull the pan, like he said you dont it to be the oil screen.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post04-24-2008 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Any way to post a picture with a ruler for scale to get an idea of what size they are? My thought was the valve spring dampener also, I've seen fingers broken off of those before.

JazzMan
FIEROPHREK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post

i cant tell by the pics,
are any of them shiny like they've been rubbing on something where i put the green lines?

are you measuring them? or just guessing they are 5mm?

What he said . I just went out and measured an ear from a set of old springs i have and got these measurements. .286 wide and .039 think (in inches)

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Did you have the valves done, like with new springs, if so a valve or two may have springs that are too high and thus may explain the broken dampers. If that is the case your may be shot too.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

If that is the case your may be shot too.

Oh, that's really helpful.

topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
I know exactly what those are! If I had my camera I would post a pic- I have one sitting right next to me. But they came off the valve spring resonator as buddycraigg said. They are the correct size and from your pictures, same shape as well. That might explain your valve chatter as well.

[This message has been edited by topher_time (edited 04-24-2008).]

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
You know, if someone tried to sell me a valve spring resonator yesterday, I would have looked at them as if they tried to sell me a muffler bearing. So what is it's purpose?

Just another idea to throw out there - could be the tangs from a cam lock plate. I don't know if your engine was rebuilt recently... actually I don't know how they could fall off unless they were fatigued, so it's probably NOT it.

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 04-25-2008).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:
You know, if someone tried to sell me a valve spring resonator yesterday, I would have looked at them as if they tried to sell me a muffler bearing. So what is it's purpose?

Have you ever been next to a motorcycle while moving?
Take a look next time and you will see the slack side of the chain making a motion similar to an inchworm.

Valve springs do the same thing at certain RPMs.
They wiggle like a belly dancer.
They use resonators to keep the springs straight up and down.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Here come the measurements (all metric):

5.5 mm (0.2165 inch)

6.5 mm (0.2559 inch)

2.5 mm (0.0984 inch)

Originally posted by FIEROPHREK:

What he said . I just went out and measured an ear from a set of old springs i have and got these measurements. .286 wide and .039 think (in inches)

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003
When the engine was rebuilt I used complete remanufactured heads with new springs and valves already installed.

Originally posted by Francis T:

Did you have the valves done, like with new springs, if so a valve or two may have springs that are too high and thus may explain the broken dampers. If that is the case your may be shot too.

PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Looking at the curl back on the piece it almost does look like what I remember from the valve piece.
It seems the valve keeper did curve in and then back out before it when vertical. I'd have to look at one of the head I have laying in the garage.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Bump for more input
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Bump for more input

Careful what you ask for.

Originally posted by Patrick:

I believe those are alien transponders originally destined for Yellowstone's head which may have been mistakenly implanted into his oil pan.

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Looks like that ruler has also so seen beter days, was it in the oil pan too?
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
OK. I meant constructive input...

Bump for more input

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
As stated above, I think they are the retainers that hold the valve springs straight in the valve seat.

What is amazing is that they were able to get out from under the spring. There is no clearance from side to side for these to squeeze out let alone land in your oil return passages and end up in your pan. All I can say is be thankful that they didn't clog the oil return holes or you would be looking for a new engine.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-26-2008).]

Wafflez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WafflezSend a Private Message to WafflezDirect Link to This Post
How the hell would they get from the heads into the oil pan? The oil passages arent that big.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, that seems to clear it up. What is the recommendation? Open up the engine? Or leave it as is while the engine runs fine?

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

As stated above, I think they are the retainers that hold the valve springs straight in the valve seat.

What is amazing is that they were able to get out from under the spring. There is no clearance from side to side for these to squeeze out let alone land in your oil return passages and end up in your pan. All I can say is be thankful that they didn't clog the oil return holes or you would be looking for a new engine.

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
To really check these, you would have to pull the heads and then each valve spring to see if they are intact. They are hidden in the lower part of the spring against the heads. At that point, you might as well change your pistons and rebuild the motor
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock