clutch pedal issue? by nismokidd12
Started on: 04-18-2008 05:50 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: $Rich$ on 04-19-2008 12:57 PM
nismokidd12

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nismokidd12Send a Private Message to nismokidd12Direct Link to This Post
ok so i installed a brand new clutch from the fiero store and i bled the hydraulic lines and all and i was testing it out but i still am having the problem i had when i first got it. it will shift gears when the engine isnt moving but when the engnie is running it wont shift gears, this is a 84 2.5L 4spd. so im thinking my pedal may be bent and not letting the fork travle the right distance, its traveling the recomended inch but im still not getting anything so my question is this, is my pedal possibly bent? or is it something else? how far from the floorboard should the pedal be when its no pressed? when i press the clutch it botoms out to the floor it has pressure on it but i dont think its supposed to travel to the floor when shifting or attempting to anyways....
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
The peddle should go to the floor.
When mine started doing that it turned out to be the slave cylinder, I swapped it out and it worked fine after that.
Check the boot where the rod comes out of the slave, if there is a lot of brake fluid in the boot you have a leak.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 04-18-2008).]

nismokidd12

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nismokidd12Send a Private Message to nismokidd12Direct Link to This Post
ok ill go check that right now.
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Direct Link to This Post
The pedals bend that causes most problems is at the U shaped piece that come off the main part of the pedal and has the push rod for the master cylinder is what bends. The bottom bends out from the pedal assembly which forces the top part of the U in towards the pedal and screws up the throw. When I got my 84 11years ago it always had minor shifting problems even with a new clutch, slave and master cylinder. I bled using most methods on the forum, changed the trans oil to Mobil 1 and the clutch fluid to a synthetic and shifts got a little better, but far from smooth. I checked my clutch pedal and couldn't see where it was bent so I just lived with it. This winter I decided to put in a new pedal because it was the only thing left to try. As soon as I got the old pedal out I saw the bend, and I put the new one in. The old pedal released right at the floor and reverse almost always got a grind, had to double clutch on down shifts, and sometimes still ground gears. All those problems went away with the old pedal.

If you go to V-8 Archies site he has pictures of a bent pedal and good instructions on how to change the pedal out.

This may not be your problem, but it is worth another look.
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
a way to try and see visually if the pedal is not right is to just look at it beside the brake pedal, the clutch should set up highter or "closer to the driver"
if it is flush with the brake pedal, then it is bent
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nismokidd12:

ok so i installed a brand new clutch from the fiero store and i bled the hydraulic lines and all and i was testing it out but i still am having the problem i had when i first got it. it will shift gears when the engine isnt moving but when the engnie is running it wont shift gears, this is a 84 2.5L 4spd. so im thinking my pedal may be bent and not letting the fork travle the right distance, its traveling the recomended inch but im still not getting anything so my question is this, is my pedal possibly bent? or is it something else? how far from the floorboard should the pedal be when its no pressed? when i press the clutch it botoms out to the floor it has pressure on it but i dont think its supposed to travel to the floor when shifting or attempting to anyways....

Travel S/B measured at the tranny
Movement of the rod from the slave

[This message has been edited by CC Rider (edited 04-18-2008).]

DailyDriverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DailyDriverGTClick Here to visit DailyDriverGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to DailyDriverGTDirect Link to This Post
mine wouldnt shift when the motor was running either, i replaced the slave cylinder, clutch, but my throw out bearing was at fault...

------------------
http://i78.photobucket.com/...FieroPegasusCrop.jpg

85 Fiero GT 2.8L 4speed
"soon"86 SE 2.5L auto parts car
76 Buick Regal Landau 350

nismokidd12

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nismokidd12Send a Private Message to nismokidd12Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

a way to try and see visually if the pedal is not right is to just look at it beside the brake pedal, the clutch should set up highter or "closer to the driver"
if it is flush with the brake pedal, then it is bent

if this is the case....then mine is bent
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

The Fiero Store sells the steel pedal, I highly doubt that it would be bent, you did say it was brand new out of the box.
As johnt671 said, go to v-8 archies and look at "Archisms" (lower left corner), there are a couple of pages for clutch difficulties and solutions.
http://www.v8archie.com/v8Archie/home.htm

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post

i just put a new one in my car because mine was bent
this pedal is a GM replacment i had im ny parts car it has GM sticker on it( so its not a fiero store one)
here it is
installed its hard to tell but in comparison to the brake pedal it sits up higher or closer to the driver

this is on a freshly blead system with under 30 miles on the clutch MC and slave, so everything is in top shape
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

------------------
WTB: tan floormats

AIM:Onefast2M8
MSN Onefast2M6@hotmail.com
86 GT SC 3800 Intercooled
07 G6 GTP

[This message has been edited by $Rich$ (edited 04-19-2008).]

nismokidd12

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nismokidd12Send a Private Message to nismokidd12Direct Link to This Post
yeah i to have a brand new slave mc and clutch the only thing left is the pedal.....so i think mine may be bent. but either way im goin to replace cause new parts never hurt.
PFF
System Bot
$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
ya. archie has a good write-up on pedal replacment, thats what i went by,
i opted to leave the spring off the clutch pedal, and it works greatif your goint to get a new pedal from the fiero store you mize well get the plastic replacment bushings for the pedal shaft aswell,

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock