Headlight bushing diameter? by pumpkincarriage
Started on: 04-17-2008 08:00 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: JazzMan on 05-07-2008 09:14 AM
pumpkincarriage

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pumpkincarriageSend a Private Message to pumpkincarriageDirect Link to This Post
I installed Rodney's bushings 5 years ago, but now those have failed so I'm thinking I'd like to do a more permanent fix. I saw a Fiero in a junkyard once that had ball bearings instead of the plastic bushings and I thought that was a great idea. But what size do I need? I found a place online to order them but they are fairly expensive ($25.00 for 10) so I'd prefer to no thave to order a few sizes to be sure I get the right ones. I could take mine apart and measure, but before I did that I thought I'd just see if anyone already knew.

Thanks,
Amber
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
hold on...
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002
that's werd...
DBL post

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 04-17-2008).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002
well, i've got a bag full of those damn things somewhere, but i cant find them.

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002
would someone post the diameter of them please...
cause i know as soon as someone else does, i'll find my bag of them.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post04-18-2008 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
They were like 11 or 12mm, I've got one at home I can measure but I won't be able to post until Monday. One of the purposes those bushings serve is to absorb shockloads in the geartrain when the headlight mechanism hits the up and down stops. Using metal parts in there will cause the gears to prematurely fail, much like the 84-86 gears strip once their green shock absorbing bushings turn to powder. One trick I saw used by Jim with the tunnel ram '84 was finding plastic salad spoons at the dollar store with the right diameter handle and using a saw to cut the handle into pieces that fit right in place of the original bushings.

JazzMan
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
I'd use the proper busings. They are a designed failure point or weak link so that you do not damage more expensive parts like the gears.
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
go to the local auto parts store, get the Ford bushing for headlight motors.
i use them on the red car.

the plastic spoon handle sounds like a good idea.

[This message has been edited by Tom Slick (edited 04-18-2008).]

FieroReinke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroReinkeSend a Private Message to FieroReinkeDirect Link to This Post
I used 1/2 plastic cylinders that I found in the hardware isle at Lowes. Has worked great for years. They are a little tight but work.
pumpkincarriage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pumpkincarriageSend a Private Message to pumpkincarriageDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, interesting ideas. I wandered around many a store yesterday looking for something/ anything else to use. I got some decorative beads I was considering but they are 13mm so I'm guessing they will be too big.

I saw the plastic hardware cylinders you're probably talking about Chris, I considered getting a handfull but wondered if they would really be any better in the long run.

I hadn't considered the shock absorber function of the bushings, and now taking that into account I suppose ball bearings wouldn't be such a great idea.

I guess it's back to the shops, I'll look for spoons first then if not I'll go with the hardware spacer things.

Thanks guys, I knew there had to be other options out there.

(Edit to add: What kind of Ford vehicle Tom? Think I'll swing by Autozone and check those out too while I'm at it. Are they behind the counter or a Help! item?)

-Amber

[This message has been edited by pumpkincarriage (edited 04-18-2008).]

StockGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StockGTSend a Private Message to StockGTDirect Link to This Post
Slightly less then 1/2 inch diameter, I had one good old bushing to compare sizes when replacing them.
Article on Fiero Sails has bushing dimensions: http://www.fierosails.com/headlights.html
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
ok i measured 10 of them
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-19-2008 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
That makes them on average 12.4mm. IIRC I measured a stock one and came up with 12.5mm, so I'm guessing that 12.4-12.5mm works fine. 0.488" or 15/32" ( a bit small ) would be the diameters to look for.

JazzMan
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
I found mine at Lowes. Strangely they had what appeared to be exact replacements in the fastener area. They were in those cabinets full of specialty fastners with pull drawers.

They have been working fine for years now.
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pumpkincarriage:

(Edit to add: What kind of Ford vehicle Tom? Think I'll swing by Autozone and check those out too while I'm at it. Are they behind the counter or a Help! item?)

-Amber

at the oreilly's where i got mine they were in the Help section.

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Was it this one?

Blue Shift

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue ShiftSend a Private Message to Blue ShiftDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/089981.html

Wrote this a bit ago, but this is for gen II (87-88) headlights. Mine were .460" long by .480" in diameter for a press together fit.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2008 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Has anyone else tried the Ford gear plugs shown above? They look the same as in the Fiero headlight but the "Help" catalog doesn't list dimensions or type of material they are made from.

Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2008 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

Was it this one?

yes, those are the ones i used.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2008 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Found and measured a bushing, it is 0.483" [12.27mm] +/- .002" in diameter and 0.450" [11.4mm] long.

JazzMan

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock