How Do I Test The * IAC * motor by FI3RO85GT
Started on: 04-06-2008 09:28 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Hudini on 04-06-2008 10:07 PM
FI3RO85GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FI3RO85GTSend a Private Message to FI3RO85GTDirect Link to This Post
im having difficulties with my idle and i need to check to see if its my iac. I dont want to go out and buy a new one till i know its the problem.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post
The easiest way to see if it's functioning is to jumper the diagnostic terminal under the console and turn the ignition on. (don't start it)
Go back and you should be able to hear it clicking as it cycles. Most idle problems are caused by vacuum leaks, incorrect timing, or dirty throttle body passages. If someone has messed with the idle stop screw on the throttle body, that can cause problems, too.

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1966 Porsche 911
Van's RV-6 airplane-under construction

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
The only test I've heard of is not any scientific test at all, rather a functional check. You remove the IAC and hold it in your right hand with a finger over the pintle. It will shoot into outer space and be lost forever if you don't have a finger over it when you power it up. Now cover the IAC port and hole where you removed the IAC with 2 fingers of your left hand. A spare IAC or maybe a thick piece of tape over the IAC hole would work too. Then you have someone start the car while you adjust the idle with your finger over the IAC port. You should feel the IAC pintle moving back and forth in response to your other finger's control of the idle. Again, don't move your finger off the pintle while power is applied, it will shoot out. Don't ask how I know.

FI3RO85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FI3RO85GTSend a Private Message to FI3RO85GTDirect Link to This Post
thanks! I do hear the clicking from the motor but that dosent mean it adjusted properly or is clogged. Ive cleaned it the best i can. Im pretty sure i do not have a vacuum leak. I just set my timing to 10 degrees.

Is there a way to adjust the screw at all?
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Setting the IAC is easy. Place a paper clip in the ALDL terminals A&B to put it in diagnostic mode just like you would do for setting timing. Turn the key to RUN and wait about 30 seconds. As said above, you will hear it making noise as the ECM is commanding the IAC fully closed. After 30 seconds pull the IAC power connector while the key is still in RUN. Now you turn the key to OFF, remove the paper clip and reconnect the IAC. Now drive the car over 35mph to relearn idle.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock