Engine wont turn over...2.8L by FIER086
Started on: 04-05-2008 08:27 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Hudini on 04-06-2008 10:02 PM
FIER086

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIER086Send a Private Message to FIER086Direct Link to This Post
**I just got an 87 GT 5spd project car and it is a bit rough. I am not familiar at all with manuals or the 2.8L so bear with me.

Ok first off the clutch pedal is just hanging there and is pushed all the way in. I guess it needs a throw out bearing. So the original owner stuck the car in neutral and disconnected the shift cable to the tranny and he jammed a small crow bar by the shift linkage thingy to keep the car from going into another gear (i know pretty white trash). So we put a new battery in it the headlights work, radio, etc but when you turn the key the motor wont budge, the only noise it makes is a small click wich seems to be coming from the cruise control module thing which is weird. So we are not sure if it doesnt start because of the way the tranny is all screwed up or something else. Maybe the cars computer thinks it is in gear therefore it wont turn over. THE OTHER potential reason is that the steering column is so dam loose and messed up (turn signal switch doesnt work which contains the Cruise Control lever, and it is a pain to start because the column is so loose and scrambled) I am not sure what to do. The original owner said the motor ran. PLEASE, ANY HELPFUL INFO IS WELCOME, THANKS
Ty
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
A new battery has plenty of time to lose a charge on the shelf (the click,usualley means low voltage or a bad ground).Try chargeing the battery,then check your grounds.
FIER086

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIER086Send a Private Message to FIER086Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

A new battery has plenty of time to lose a charge on the shelf (the click,usualley means low voltage or a bad ground).Try chargeing the battery,then check your grounds.

Yes but the power windows, headlight motors, radio, door locks --(somewhat worked, not enough to lock or unlock the doors but they moved a bit) you would think the car would try to turn over at least once, but nothing just a small click coming from the cruise control solenoid.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Possible the clutch safety switch isn't activated, you could try connecting the wires.

Starting the car does require quite a bit more power than running accessories, a lot of accessories can still work but you won't be able to turn the engine over.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"
Live Help!

FIER086

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIER086Send a Private Message to FIER086Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

Possible the clutch safety switch isn't activated, you could try connecting the wires.

Starting the car does require quite a bit more power than running accessories, a lot of accessories can still work but you won't be able to turn the engine over.

Where is the clutch safety switch?
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
I don't have a stick anymore, but I think its mounted right on the clutch pedal. Two wires, connecting the two bypasses it.
FIER086

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIER086Send a Private Message to FIER086Direct Link to This Post
Alright I will have to check on that switch. Is it called the Neutral Safety Switch?? It makes sense, the switch has to be tripped in order for the car to start or else if the car was in gear it would do a jump. It probably thinks the car is in gear.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Neutral Safety Switch is the version for an Auto transmission, mounted on the transmission itself. The clutch safety switch is a simple plunger mounted on the pedal.

Be careful bypassing it in case the transmission is stuck in gear.
FIER086

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIER086Send a Private Message to FIER086Direct Link to This Post
bump for more info.
Myke

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MykeSend a Private Message to MykeDirect Link to This Post
You know, this might sound strange, but I own sticks (84&88) but they are the L4. But it seems to me the set up is basically the same until you hit the block.

You will not even hear a click if the clutch is not depressed to the floor if the switch is still active. When you hit the key, nothing will happen, nothing will move. the dash lights will go off (like normal) but nothing else will happen. No clicks.

But my 84 does the EXACT same thing. But with mine, the problem its the starter itself. More precisely, the starter is not able to engage, and therefore I just get a click when the starter tries to push it's way into the engine (more like a "ping" than a "click"). For some reason, when I "push start" (roll and pop the clutch) the car, the starter will work the next time i try. (engine is in a different position?)

I know you can not do this because of the condition of the car, but do you think this might be part of your problem?

I could be completely off base here, because I have never owned a Fiero with cruise. to be honest, I don't even know exactly where you are hearing the noise from.

Look forward to reading more info.

------------------
Myke

PAST: 88 L4 5spd, 84 L4 auto, 88 L4 5spd, 87 L4 auto

Present: 84 L4 4spd, 88 L4 5spd

Future: Tomorrow will tell...

Gonzo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GonzoSend a Private Message to GonzoDirect Link to This Post
On mine it will not click or anything without pushing the clutch. So that tells me that your clutch pedal is hanging low enough to engage the switch or the switch is bypassed. Then again it may not be the starter you hear clicking. Hard to tell really from here. LOL You can always take a long piece of hose and put one end down by the starter and the other end to your ear while someone tries starting it. If your real careful you can use a long screwdriver. (careful of moving parts and wires at the starter). I use a long stethoscope made for that.
1st I would make sure the motor is not siezed. Try turning it over by hand. Another reason for this is if the starter drive is stuck on the flywheel it MAY disengage when you turn it by hand.
2nd I would get the rear wheels off the ground. Be sure to use jack stands. You say there is a bar in the tranny linkage so to be SAFE so no one gets hurt if it is in a gear get the wheels off the ground.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.

------------------
1985 Fiero GT V6 5spd. Finally on the road and LOVING it

PFF
System Bot
FIER086

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIER086Send a Private Message to FIER086Direct Link to This Post
Yes the car is completely off the ground on jack stands. The car is at my dads and I don't get up there much. Anyway the click/ping sound definitely comes from the cruise control thing. I can't tell if the starter is making noise. How do you turn the motor by hand? Do you just move the pulleys? The engined should be fine the guy said he drove it a ton before the clutch went out. I will give more info. once I get to the car again later this week, hopefully.
Thanks for the help so far.
Gonzo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GonzoSend a Private Message to GonzoDirect Link to This Post
You might be able to turn it a little by grabbing the crank pulley. Easier to put a socket and ratcheton the crank bolt and turn it that way
All you need to do is turn it enough to see that it's not siezed.
You say the column ismessed up maybe the rod from the key cylinder is not pushing the rod far enough to hit the start position. Just a thought.

------------------
1985 Fiero GT V6 5spd. Finally on the road and LOVING it

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
18mm bolt on the crank pulley. Turn it clockwise just like you were tightening the bolt. Easier with the spark plugs removed. Might take a couple long extensions to get the ratchet outside the wheel well (tire removed too).

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock