water in oil-best way to store by fiamma
Started on: 04-05-2008 07:12 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: fiamma on 04-06-2008 12:47 AM
fiamma

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiammaSend a Private Message to fiammaDirect Link to This Post
I have what looks like a water in the oil problem. Just discovered it as the temp
gauge started jumping up and down, was low on coolant, oil looks like that's
where the coolant went. I think the bearings are still ok as only drove maybe 15
miles. Likely is either intake manifold or head gaskets. I parked the car and
drained the oil. Question is if it sits for awhile (like six months) is it best to
leave it drained or put in new oil or doesn't it matter?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
drain the coolant. fill the motor with fresh oil (use some cheap stuff for now). start it, run for 15 -30 seconds shut it down. let it sit for 30 minutes and drain the oil, change the filter and refill with good oil. run for anothe 15 seconds. store it. you have to flush the water out of the system.
it is really best to fix it now then run it and be sure the oiling system is clean before storing it.
to really flush the system, you really need to run it a while with a few oil changes, to be sure. just that quick flush tho is better than nothing.
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
Everything said above is correct. Remember, you do not have water in your oil, you have coolant. Coolant is death to bearings. In a 2.8 it is almost always the intake leaking into the engine. Many people think it is the headgasket and just happen to fix it because they also take the intake off to replace the head gaskets. Remember also, if you leave it sit you will be allowing more coolant to be dripping into the oil.
fiamma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiammaSend a Private Message to fiammaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the good replies. Yes, it is a 2.8, '87gt.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock