Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Car is Stalling after it Starts. I need help!!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Car is Stalling after it Starts. I need help!! by hazards280
Started on: 04-04-2008 11:11 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: chanoric on 04-05-2008 03:18 AM
hazards280

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hazards280Send a Private Message to hazards280Direct Link to This Post
I just took my 1986 Fiero Gt 3spd Auto out of Winter Storage.I took the cover off and I put a new battery in it. It started right up and purred like a kitten. I took it down the road for about 10 miles. and came back to the house. I left it parked for about a half hour at my house. And then I went to go to the store and the battery was dead. So i jumped the car. but it wouldnt start at first so i put it to the floor to stop the fuel from going in the engine. It fired right up but was idle'ing hard and smoke was blowing out the exaust pretty bad. The RPM's never went below 2000 without it stalling and when i tried to back up it would stall right off the bat. What happend, and what do i need to do.

It has been:

Bored .60 Over
CAM or something i forgot
Port and Polished Heads
Rebuilt Tranny
High Performance Wires
Chipped
And something with the ECU..
And some other bells and wistles.

Here it is if it helps.

[This message has been edited by hazards280 (edited 04-04-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
on the throttle body there is a plug
unplug it and give it a bath in CRC contact cleaner or WD-40
look for corrosion ect and clean off anything that will limit the el-trick connections
thats the throttle position switch or TPS
allso check that the throttle plate is not gummed up and closes and opens freely

in fact a good first step is to undo clean and replug el-trick junction connections
as that is a free cheap fix before you start replacement of items
and the TPS plug cleaning has fixed many a stalling fiero

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
First thing I'd check is why the battery was dead, especially if it's new. If the alternator was not charging or the battery cables were not all the way tight, then the low voltage could cause you lots of problems.

Other things could be bad gas. Did you use Sta-Bil in your fuel when you stored it?
86SE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86SESend a Private Message to 86SEDirect Link to This Post
Try unhooking the battery again, should reset the computer. See if it will restart normally, without depressing the pedal. Seems as if the computer needs to relearn how to idle.
hazards280

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hazards280Send a Private Message to hazards280Direct Link to This Post
No, I didnt use Sta-Bil when I stored it. To be honest, I didnt even think about it until I read that. Gosh, I feel dumb right now. That's what the car shop down the road said, that the computer needs to re learn itself. and I should just try to drive it. But they dont seem to understand I can't.

One other thing is that it smells like gas really bad when its idleing. Kinda likes it flooded.

About the battery, I did check all the connections. The negative end was a little loose but not enough for a connection issue.
chanoric

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chanoricSend a Private Message to chanoricDirect Link to This Post
On the smelling gas can you see a puddle of gas in front of the distributor and below the plenum at the fuel rail (cold start assembly) I'm in the process of fixing this issue. That might be the source where your smell of gas is coming from. The battery did you check the belt see if it was tight? does it squeak at all? If it is tight (should be a lil bit of give.), i would have your alternator tested. There is most likely a charging issue some where.

[This message has been edited by chanoric (edited 04-05-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock