Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Axle seal problem/ will axle support bearings help?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Axle seal problem/ will axle support bearings help? by jimbolaya
Started on: 04-04-2008 08:04 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: CC Rider on 04-09-2008 08:05 PM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Some of you are probably familiar with my recent problems with my axle not coming out. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/090375.html Well I got a new axle in and a new seal. Well 3 days later the seal starting leaking profusely. I removed the axle again (no problem this time) and the rubber part of the seal had tears in it. Another forum member recommended Rodney's' axle support bearings. Rodney is not convinced they will work because he says they will not help a tranny with a bad differential. I did his test of shaking one axle up and down (drivers side where the bad seal is) and seeing if the other axle will move. The other axle did not move. This should mean that the differential is good. Other than this I don't know how to tell if I have a bad differential. Does any body know a way to tell if a differential is bad and has anybody used Rodney's' axle support bearings? I am convinced of the quality of Rodney's' product, I just need to see if it's application will help me. I am putting in a new seal to see if maybe it was just a piece of grit or something that got in the seal. If it leaks again, I'll probably order Rodney's' support bearing and see if it will help. If it doesn't work, my only option will be to run this tranny into the ground and try to find another one. It is my daily driver. Thanks for any opinions or suggestions.

Jim
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yes - I would guess some junk got in there & wrecked the seal.
its easy to get crap on the axle shaft as you feed it in. maybe cover it next time until it is ready to insert into the trans
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
I have 2 axle bearing supports from Rodney Dickman
Number One
If you shook the axle and the other side wasn't moving , like Rodney say , the dif is good .
Those getrags coupled to a stock 2.8 are very dependable IMO
Can't tell you more but the facts are there .

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 04-10-2008).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Prime time bump.
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
Remember to put silicon sealer on the part of the seal that contact the tranny casing.
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
I have a set and I don't think the axle bearing seals are as good as the stock seals. Mine have a tiny leak and I might remove the bearings and go back to the stock seals.

Just my experience.

Where exactly is yours leaking?
CC Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
TK
Email sent to you
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

I have a set and I don't think the axle bearing seals are as good as the stock seals. Mine have a tiny leak and I might remove the bearings and go back to the stock seals.

Just my experience.

Where exactly is yours leaking?

It was leaking around the rubber part of the seal. The second seal is out now and I have replaced it with another seal. I'm hoping it will hold and that the only problem was that a piece of grit or whatever got in the seal and tore it. The rubber actually looked like it was sliced. If this one doesn't hold, then there is another problem and I will give Rodney's axle support bearings a try. It's worth a try for $40 a piece. The next option is a new tranny. BTW: All my mounts are new and the torque strut is properly tightened down, so I am not getting any excessive jerking.

Jim

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CC Rider:

TK
Email sent to you

I'm not going to have to work on someone's car am I?

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 04-04-2008).]

CC Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
No
Gwain

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GwainClick Here to visit Gwain's HomePageSend a Private Message to GwainDirect Link to This Post
jimbolaya: with all your hammering on the axle to remove it, when you put the new one in, did you check the axle shaft where it contacts the seal. You'll want it almost polished so it rides smooth in the seal. Even a little rust mark or the like can tear up a seal.

I put Rodney's bearing support seals in my son's 84 SE when we replaced his clutch. We weren't fighting oil leaks or the like. Just figured they'd make a nice upgrade as long as we were replacing the axle seals.

I liked their "fit", and thought they gave some nice additional support to the axle shaft. He's only been back on the road for a couple of months, so I can't say much more than that. Rodney's stuff is always first class, so I wouldn't expect any short comings from that standpoint.

------------------
Marc in sunny Titusville, FL

• 84 SE son's car, loaded
  • 85 Coup w/V6 transplant
  • 85 GT newly on the road
  • 86 SE/GT "The Chameleon" - big plans!
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

with all your hammering on the axle to remove it,

The old axle is long gone. It's a new axle. Very smooth.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Been driving around for about 5 days now, with several high speed highway trips included, and the seal appears to be holding. So I guess something just got in that first seal. What a relief.

Jim
CC Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
Cool

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock