Squealing Clutch by Goldenfoot
Started on: 03-21-2008 12:59 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Steven Snyder on 03-23-2008 11:17 PM
Goldenfoot

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenfootSend a Private Message to GoldenfootDirect Link to This Post
Hi all!

I replaced my clutch a while back and had a super nasty squealing coming from the bell housing I ignored it and it eventually in turned into a chattering. Long story short I ended up with a sheared input shaft bearing sleeve. I just finished replacing the whole transmission and the squealing is back. The T.O. bearing wasn't seized and I even put a new T.O. bearing on this last time with a bit of grease. I don't want to ruin this one. Does anyone know whats going on with it? Its an 86 GT getrag.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
Spec clutch?
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you got an aftermarket (probably SPEC) clutch with the hub installed backwards. The splined center sticks too far out on the pressure plate side and hits the input shaft sleeve. Do you have any pics of it when it was out? It's pretty obvious when you have the wrong one if you compare it to a stock clutch. We should be able to tell from the pics.
Don't run it anymore; it's going to destroy the new input shaft bearing sleeve and possibly the bearing. You may be able to get SPEC to warranty it but if you have more than a few hundred miles on it its extremely unlikely.
Goldenfoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenfootSend a Private Message to GoldenfootDirect Link to This Post
Is SPEC a brand? I got the clutch off the fiero store. It is a RAM heavy duty clutch. And now that I think of it the springs do stick out further on the side of the transmission. So thats my problem!? The clutch still has lots of meat on it. Can I just flip it around and be good? Or do i need a new clutch? Thank you so much for your help!!!!
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Yeah SPEC is a brand.. I haven't heard of RAM having the problem but I guess its possible. The springs are not the issue; its the splined hub in the very center.
Does it squeal regardless of whether or not the clutch is disengaged?
Goldenfoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenfootSend a Private Message to GoldenfootDirect Link to This Post
Ya its pretty constant. It gets worse when the clutch is depressed. I don't have any pictures of it. Ill drop it again and take a few.
This is a different question. I bought an adjustable select cable and didn't adjust it at all. Its difficult to shift into 1st and 2nd, would the adjustment on the cable make a difference? Again thanks for the help!!!!
Goldenfoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenfootSend a Private Message to GoldenfootDirect Link to This Post
OK! I removed the clutch. The hub was rubbing on the input shaft bearing sleeve. But if i flip the clutch disc around the springs would be smashed into the bolts of the fly wheel! I don't get it! Did i get a bad clutch disk? Did I accidentally get a 4spd clutch? Sorry, I couldn't get pictures. I went a got my self a new clutch set cause I want my car!!! If the hub were sticking out the other way it would work fine! Anyone else have the same problem?
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Yes, a lot of people have had that problem with SPEC clutches. I don't know why they make that mistake. Maybe they think they can send out the same clutch as they do for the later hydraulic-release bearing Isuzu and Getrag transmissions. Those maybe have more clearance.
The clutch is defective and/or they sent you the wrong one. The manufacturer might not even be aware of the problem. You'll have to get a new one..
Goldenfoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GoldenfootSend a Private Message to GoldenfootDirect Link to This Post
I can imagine a lot of other people have been just as irritated as me! Thank you so much for your help! I will just stick to the stock clutch for now!
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
If you have a stock or mildly modified motor thats the best way to go. I'd use an OEM clutch too if I could! There's too much aftermarket junk out there.
Good luck!

------------------

1988 Pontiac Fiero 3.4 DOHC V6 5-speed
California Smog Legal!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock