Lifter madness... by kjelle69
Started on: 03-19-2008 03:07 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Pyrthian on 03-20-2008 09:26 AM
kjelle69

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kjelle69Click Here to visit kjelle69's HomePageSend a Private Message to kjelle69Direct Link to This Post
I recently got me 12 new lifters from a store here in Sweden, standard Federal Mogul lifters only 10 times the price as in the states...

However, altough the part number is the same, there are 4 lifters out of 12 that looks different. They actually looks like the ones I have in the car right now. Two piece, the flat side seems to be made out of another material.

Which type is better to use ??

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
the only real variable with lifters is the "bleed down" rate.
but - being 2 dfifferent designs - I'd worry. they should have the same bleed down rate, being they are the same part number. but - there is always the idea that maybe they were mispackaged at the factory....
all you can do is call them - they will probably offer a exchange
kjelle69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kjelle69Click Here to visit kjelle69's HomePageSend a Private Message to kjelle69Direct Link to This Post
I went down to a real comparison, took them apart and compared them to my old ones, the one with two different materials is identical with the ones installed from the factory. The other one looks different inside.

For those who have never looked into a lifter:

Be my guest :-)

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Which design do you think is better ?
Different oil shim at the top and longer stroke on the piston on the one in the bottom of the picture.

[This message has been edited by kjelle69 (edited 03-19-2008).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
the two piece ones are original equipment GM .no one else makes them like that .they are the best flat lifters made .also keep in mind when breaking in your new lifters and cams that most new oils approved for gasoline engines do not have enough zinc additive to coat the faces properly .most people use rotella T diesel oil at least during break in .most racing oils also have lots of zinc in them .normal and synthetic oils had their zinc content drastically reduced a few years back because new car engines no longer need it and it damages pollution equipment .a good place to compare lifters and prices is summit racing's web site .
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I have been reading that there is no zink in the Diesel oils any longer either. Something about the zink in the oil that Unka Sam is against. Compatition Cams is supposed to removed it from their break in oil supplement and pre lubes also.
Blue Shift

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue ShiftSend a Private Message to Blue ShiftDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

I have been reading that there is no zink in the Diesel oils any longer either. Something about the zink in the oil that Unka Sam is against. Compatition Cams is supposed to removed it from their break in oil supplement and pre lubes also.

Not true. Look out for the other oil thread, there's a bunch of info in it. AFAIK, Rotella T 5-40 Synth still has ~1200PPM of ZDDP. Also GM EOS has been reintroduced, ZDDPlus has a metric f---load (*approximate 2.84 standard f---loads) of ZDDP in it. I highly doubt comp cams breakin lube doesnt have ZDDP in it anymore.
kjelle69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2008 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kjelle69Click Here to visit kjelle69's HomePageSend a Private Message to kjelle69Direct Link to This Post
Yes, I have the right type of cam lubes with a lot of ZDDP in them, I will also prep the oil with EOS even after break in to make sure the cam feels comfy.

But what do you think of the differences, it is the same partnumber, still the lifters are two different types...

I would sure worry about having two types with different leak down properties in the same valve train.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2008 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
I would think that they're built to a functional specification, so therefor would work just fine.

Try not to over-think things too much.

JazzMan
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2008 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
the stroke of the piston should be the same.
this is what the "valve lash" is based on - pushing the pushrod into the lifter to 1/2 of its stroke.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock