Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  improving the stock v6 engine. Any Ideas??

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

improving the stock v6 engine. Any Ideas?? by FI3RO85GT
Started on: 02-23-2008 10:38 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Francis T on 02-24-2008 07:29 PM
FI3RO85GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FI3RO85GTSend a Private Message to FI3RO85GTDirect Link to This Post
I want to improve the gas mileage aswell as preformance on my engine. I just wanted a few ideas on where to start, you know.. the little things that make a big difference. i have an 85 2.8 v6 5 speed.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
trueleo.com -
Intake manifold will add HP and a lot of rpm and keep engine from going rich (wasting gas) above 4.5k. Headers/Y pipe will make it more effecient, thus add power and also help with gas milage. Yes, we make them and I'm biased but those are also facts. Fiero v6 has very poorly designed intake and exhaust manifolds. Chaging them will make a big dif.

------------------
[IMG]

Trueleo.com/fiero.htm
RSpiderII@aol.com

Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
The incredible majical electric turbo charger!

"just kidding lol"
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
I agree with Francis T, his products are the best thing that you can do to improve the power and effeciency. He has the dyno results to prove it.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
intakemanifold portmatch + polish

and of course porting the exhaust manifold and portmatching the heads

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1987 Fiero <- Ethanol powered Batmobile
1984 Fiero SE
1999 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LX <-LPG powered family car

*** nuclear winter cures global warming ***

Gwain

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GwainClick Here to visit Gwain's HomePageSend a Private Message to GwainDirect Link to This Post

Posted by FI3RO85GT on 02-23-2008
I want to improve the gas mileage aswell as preformance on my engine. I just wanted a few ideas on where to start, you know.. the little things that make a big difference. i have an 85 2.8 v6 5 speed.

In addition to having the injectors professionally cleaned (which I do now on all my cars) I'm trying a set of 1.6 rockers on a newly acquired 85 GT ( a poor man's cam upgrade).

I decided to try it just to see what difference it made. I've also been impressed with Magnicore wires. This process (without the 1.6 rockers) on my 85 Coupe added 40 miles to a tank of gas, and really perked up the engine.

I'll let you know how the rockers work in a week or so, when I get the GT back on the road.

------------------
Marc in sunny Titusville, FL

• 84 SE son's car, loaded
  • 85 Coup w/V6 transplant
  • 85 GT newly on the road
  • 86 SE/GT conversion just bought - big plans!
kjelle69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kjelle69Click Here to visit kjelle69's HomePageSend a Private Message to kjelle69Direct Link to This Post
I am really interested in any testimonials concerning the 1.6 rockers as I am also working on that solution right now.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2008 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
The single most important modification to a stock V6 is to replace or port the exhaust .. the stock manifold chokes the engine,any modification is held back by this bottleneck,, its a 10 to 12 hour job to port the exhaust manifold..I also am interested in some reports on the rockers for the duke and the V6 ,,,,,Tp quality spark plug wires are allways a good addition the cheapest wires are for grandmas car (unless she likes to do burn outs going to bingo to get hyped for the contest) The Truelo is the BEST by forum member test,and dyno test.some one ask me why I trumpet his products,, THEY WORK , READ THE THREADS.. I do not know him TOP quality spark plug wires increase fuel burn,, leaning out the mixture with a slight increase in power..

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 02-24-2008).]

Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
If you look at dyno sheet from a stock 2.8 or 3.4 you will notice the engine get very rich very quickly once you get near about 4.5K rpm do to the poor intake design. Rich not only means less poser it also means bad less gas milage. With the stock intake, my engine got so rich by 5k that the wideband could not read it, it was under 10:1! With the stock intake you either shift early or waste gas.

------------------
[IMG]

Trueleo.com/fiero.htm
RSpiderII@aol.com

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock