Changing valve stem seals with pics by sjmaye
Started on: 02-23-2008 07:09 PM
Replies: 1
Last post by: Xanth on 02-23-2008 08:59 PM
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
I know this process is simple, but I thought I would go ahead and document it in case it would be of benefit for someone.

You will be turning the 18mm crankshaft bolt clockwise to rotate to TDC of each of the cylinders in the sequence
of the firing order 1-2-3-4-5-6. Note the cylinder numbering. Make sure to cover all openings to avoid allowign small parts to drop in to the engine. Don't miss covering the oil return slots between the valve springs for cyls. 1, 5, 2, 6.

I did not think to document this until the final cylinder, so all photos will be of cylinder #6. Before bringing the piston to TDC on cyl 6 push as much rope as possible into the spark plug hole, then rotate the crankshaft CW until it stops indicating the piston has jammed the rope up against the valves. This keep from letting the valves from dropping in to the cylinder while changing ths seals.

Before using the valve spring compressor you will want to break free the valve stem keepers from the spring. I used a 13MM socket and gave it a gentle whack.

This shot shows the valve spring compressor in place and tightened. The keepers may still be stuck. I tapped down on the edge of the spring cap. It broke free easily.

Compress the spring until the keepers are free. I used a magnet to grab them. Worked great!

This is an intake valve. It has 2 seals; an o-ring on the second groove from the top (like the exhaust valve) and cup seal. This engine has about 90K on it. The original o-ring has disintegrated.

This shows the new seals in place. Sorry for the typo

There is a metal shell inside the spring. it is easier to put in place without the spring. Use a large screwdriver to spread it slightly to get it over the cup seal.

Now for the exhaust valve. The spring comes off the same way. Note no cup seal on this one.

You would know I would forget to take shot of the new o-ring in place for the exhaust. Sorry. Spring comes off and goes back on just like the intake.

Now someone can help me. I read seveal posts abotu adjusting the rocker arms, but i am still not sure.

Tight rocker stud nut while spinning the pushrod back and forth until you feel slight resistance. Then tighten the nut 3/4 turn further. Is this correct?

[This message has been edited by sjmaye (edited 05-31-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Nice I have to get around to doing this eventually
IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock