General Cradle Query by Madscanner
Started on: 02-22-2008 09:51 AM
Replies: 3
Last post by: FieroFanatic13 on 02-22-2008 11:01 AM
Madscanner

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerDirect Link to This Post
Hi

I've done a load of searches, but haven't found the info I need regarding changine cradles.

Im my case, I might have the opportunity of getting a cradle from a written-off '88, to swap into my '85 SE 2M6.

As there is a cost attached to the amount of parts I need, what is the absolute minimum that I can get away with swapping, e.g. will the '88 cradle take the '85 suspension arms, hubs, brakes, etc or do I have to change them for the ones from the '88? I know that there are issues re coilovers resulting from the repositioning of the strut tops...

TIA

Paul

------------------
The Madscanner
'85 SE 2M6 Auto

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post
The '88 uses three links, not a simple lower "a" arm like the early models. Using the '88 cradle means using the ENTIRE '88 rear supension- the hubs, links, brakes- with the addition of coilover struts in place of the standard spring/strut combo, as well as a relocation of where the top of the strut mounts to the chassis. The coilovers and the strut relocation (if you buy the adapters from one of the companies who make them) are where the $ goes if you have the '88 rear suspension already.

-Gary

Here is a pic I found of the '88 rear cradle and suspension as a reference- note the suspension links that are very different from the early cars:

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 02-22-2008).]

Madscanner

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerDirect Link to This Post
Gary

Thanks for the quick response.

From my reading of other threads, in addition to swapping the cradle, links, hubs, and brakes, I will need to reposition the strut top mount, bulld up a pair of coilovers and deal with the issue of brake lines/hoses for the repositioned calipers, as well as changing the handbrake cables.

Is there anything I've missed?

Paul

------------------
The Madscanner
'85 SE 2M6 Auto

FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Madscanner:

Gary

Thanks for the quick response.

From my reading of other threads, in addition to swapping the cradle, links, hubs, and brakes, I will need to reposition the strut top mount, bulld up a pair of coilovers and deal with the issue of brake lines/hoses for the repositioned calipers, as well as changing the handbrake cables.

Is there anything I've missed?

Paul

Paul,

That is how I understand the swap, yes. A couple places offer "strut relocation brackets" to help make the swap easier, but they cost some $. If anyone has more info, please chime in!

-Gary

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 02-22-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock