Started on: 02-17-2008 09:46 AM
Replies: 44
Last post by: Synthesis on 07-03-2008 08:46 AM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2008 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
In the first image, you can see the difference between the sunroof panel, and the paint on the rest of the car. Very noticeable. Because the roof panel is in such rough shape, I did not bother to do any touchups or painting on the panel.

I will be replacing it with another section I have.

You can see the holes I drilled in the corners to drain the water, and if you look carefully, you will see the silicone sealant I used around the outside edge of the gasket.
ALL of my leaks are gone. The wind noise is negligible with my roof ever since doing this, and I have not had to shim my sunroof latch at all.

IP: Logged

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2008 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I guess I don't get what you were doing, replacing the whole seal? Mine doesn't leak any whater, I get wind noise at freeway speeds.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-02-2008).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2008 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Notice in this picture how flush the gasket sits with the body of the car? It is flush all the way around. As is the sunroof when installed.

Then, look at this image. Notice how the black Silicone sealant bonds the gasket to the metal sunroof channel, and then to the roof panel of the car? This eliminates both leaks, and gaps that could create noise from wind passing over the vehicle.

And, last, notice in the two following pictures the actual metal channels that the gasket sits in? I cleaned and repainted a set of spares, I slipped some double sided foam tape underneath them, and siliconed the ends and screw holes. This seals them, leaving no location for air to whistle, or water to leak.

It made a huge improvement in the wind noise issue. BUT, the other thing that will help is the front "hooks" on the sunroof. Cleaned, repainted, and bent a little closer to the glass will make the roof more difficult to remove/replace, but will pull the front of the glass down snug enough to reduce turbulence. No turbulence = no wind noise. Then you just need to shim the back latch area if you still get noise there.

Fierology

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2008 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyDirect Link to This Post
nice pics

Does weathering account for the difference in the red color on the parts of the roof, or are the panels from different years w/ different red colors? I definitely like the clip's color better.

-Michael
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2008 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierology:

nice pics

Does weathering account for the difference in the red color on the parts of the roof, or are the panels from different years w/ different red colors? I definitely like the clip's color better.

-Michael

It is all weathering. My Fiero was Garage kept for many years prior to my purchase of it. The parts car I got the roof from sat out in a field for 8 or 9 years, with no shade trees.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock