Power to the Coil by vector_man1
Started on: 02-08-2008 11:09 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Indiana_resto_guy on 02-11-2008 12:28 AM
vector_man1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vector_man1Send a Private Message to vector_man1Direct Link to This Post
We have an 86 SE V6 that has no spark. We think we have traced it down to the wires leading to power the coil. I don't know much about electrical and see that these go into a wire channel and am not sure where the go to. The ECM? We have had readings on the Voltmeter of 12 to 14 volts but it is not always there. Has anybody replaced these wires? That is what I am going to try on Saturday but am wondering if it is something else. Any Ideas?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Do you have adobe reader and a fast internet connection? If yes, download the '86 Factory Service Manual and look on page 898. It has a diagram of the ignition system showing which wires feed the coil. The FSM has a bunch of useful information. It can be found (along with other good stuff) at : http://spad.sytes.net/fiero/manuals/

Have you had your ignition module tested yet? Places like Autozone or Advance can test it for free.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post02-09-2008 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
If the power from the main juice wire comes and goes.it is a bad connection.often on old cars the wires do not fit tight ,the female often must be tighten down to fit the male connection better .. the electrical system in your fiero is similar to what you like in a woman a tight fit..sometimes the wire is corroded in the wire sheath and you get sometime on,, some time off ,,you can stretch the wire to check for this,you pull to see if you get the chinese finger stretch puzzle effect,check the ground wire,, the small one that comes from the battery to the frame and of course the main ground..check the connection wires to the module & pick up look inside the female connector for anything that indicates arcing or bad connection on female and male.. a bad connection leads to a faulty part .often a part is replaced and the reetablishment of a good connection is the actuall cure,then the part fails early leading to blame placed on a particular part,,When following test procedures in manuals make sure a good connection is established at all connections..The ECM is often blamed they are a reliable unit unless a "shock " has been sent thru them,battery arcing ect.. of course a bad connection can cause arcing Have you connected one spark plug to a plug wire, grounded the plug.. crank engine to determine if thier is spark?? Never arc a spark plug wire to the block on any car with electronic ignition,the newer the car the more this rule applys.. Fiero,s need GOOD ground connection

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 02-09-2008).]

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post02-09-2008 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post

uhlanstan

6446 posts
Member since Apr 2007
The Haynes manual has an excellent wireing schematic on the ignition system for the novice and expert alike EASY to understand a strong point of the haynes manual ..Any time you buy a Fiero allways ask for the manual to go with the car before the money exchanges hands.. if the owner is not a fiero fanatic he has no further use for this .. you should have the haynes and the chilton manual,, combined with the forum much is possible I have a lot of mechanical experience but am often in need of manual advise!! the # 1 tool in your tool box #2 P B blaster
vector_man1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2008 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vector_man1Send a Private Message to vector_man1Direct Link to This Post
Ok we have power to the coil and replaced the coil. Still no spark. Can someone point me in the direction of the ECM and ignition module. I am new to the fiero and this is really throwing us for a loop. Thanks
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Check the mag pick up coil.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock