Newb with Problem! by sk8salomon
Started on: 02-05-2008 08:48 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: sk8salomon on 02-10-2008 08:25 PM
sk8salomon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2008 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sk8salomonSend a Private Message to sk8salomonDirect Link to This Post
Been driving my dad's 86SE w/5spd for a while now. The other day I smelled something electrical but wasn't sure where it was coming from. Once home, I shut the car off and began sniffing around like a dog but nothing. The next morning, I started the car up to warm up, came back about 3 minutes later and found smoke filling the cabin. I shut it off immediately and let the smoke escape. After a few minutes I started it up again and saw smoke coming from inside the steering column. This weekend I tore down the column and even bought the puller tool to remove the locking plate. I removed the inner plastic switch housing for the turn signal and hazards hoping to find burnt wires but found nothing! Put it all back together and made sure all switches worked and still smoke. My turn signals don't work either. Is this inner plastic switch just bad? Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot? Anybody have a parts car I can buy a used switch from? I have some pics but I don't think this site allows it? Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Highjumper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2008 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HighjumperSend a Private Message to HighjumperDirect Link to This Post
Don't mention "smoke" filling up the cabin around here. People will start to get very testy....Fire !!!! Don't say fire either...it could get dicey
Just kidding...my pontiac GTP did the exact same thing. Smoke...lots from the steering colum. I did see some burnt wires though. I don't understand why you don't see them.
joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2008 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
maybe take it apart leaving the switches plugged in and turn the key on to see where the smoke is coming from exactly. If the switch doesnt work its most likely the problem.

-JOE

[This message has been edited by joesfiero (edited 02-05-2008).]

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2008 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
The ignition switch is also in there, its lower and on the top of the column. Doesnt sound like the case though. I would check the wiring for the turn signal switch. If you pop off the knee plate (4 8mm screws) and look up in there ,you will find the connector for the turn signal wiring. Its wierd looking, flat and wide, with a flat ribbon cable going up the column. Unhook it and tie a string to it, so you can pull it back down, and remove the turn signal switch and pull it out. For there to be that much smoke, there will be visible charring, keep digging until you find it, otherwise there might be flames next time.

I would also check all over under that side of the dash, is it possible the smoke is just rising up the area of the column? maybe its lower and just getting channeled up.

My first guess would be the turn signal wiring chaffing on something though.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2008 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
The plastic assembly with flat wires going down the column is called the "turn signal switch" and controls the turn signals and hazards ( i used to think of the "stalk" as the turn signal switch). You should be able to get a new one at any auto parts place. Sounds like a wire got pinched and caused a short. Did your tilt steering column get adjusted and pinch / cut a wire ?
Did wires get pinched by the 2 pieces of the turn signal switch when the signals were used ? personally, i'd remoe it all the way down and carefully re-assemble with a new switch.
sk8salomon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2008 06:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sk8salomonSend a Private Message to sk8salomonDirect Link to This Post
ok, i'll dig thru it again and this time pull all the wiring out. thanks for the string trick, i'll give that a try. anyway to post pics here? the large set of wires in the flat ribbon style has a light blue wire. it has a small cut that is thru the insulation only (i think). i taped that up and tried but still saw the smoke.
joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2008 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like your letting a whole lot of smoke out of that box. How much smoke you think came in it? Its gotta run out soon!

-JOE
P.S jk
sk8salomon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2008 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sk8salomonSend a Private Message to sk8salomonDirect Link to This Post
Pulled everything apart again but this time i worked the turn signal switch and saw sparking inside the switch contacts. I assumed the switch was bad so went to the local parts store and picked up a new one for $24. Installed and everything is working correctly now. Didn't have to use a pull string because the wiring harness is so long once you push it thru the column, you can pull it out the other end by hand. Thanks for the help guys, nice forum!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock