Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  How hard is it to convert Transmissions to manual from automatic?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

How hard is it to convert Transmissions to manual from automatic? by scorpion693
Started on: 02-04-2008 10:46 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Hank is Here on 02-04-2008 01:13 PM
scorpion693

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2008 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scorpion693Send a Private Message to scorpion693Direct Link to This Post
how hard is it to convert transmissions? And where can i get info on how to install the? What is my options for a 5 speed and 6 speed?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2008 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
You need to have, or at least have complete access to, a complete manual car for donor parts. I've done it, but only as part of a complete bare frame restoration.

You'll need:
Brake pedal assembly with clutch
Shifter
Shifter cables
master cyl
slave cyl
clutch line
many other odds and ends.

You're also looking at dropping the cradle to get the trannys swapped, removing the center console to run shifter cables, removing the brake pedal assy, taking some of the front suspension apart to run the clutch line, and splicing the under dash wiring for the clutch switch.

As for your options, the ones that only require the above work:

Fiero 4cyl 5 spd (Isuzu)
Fiero V6 5 Spd (getrag)
Fiero 4spds (couple of options, diffrent gearings)

GM FWD 5spd getrag is going to be stronger, but you will have to split the case, swap speedo gears, and unless you get a FWD V6 tranny, you will have to swap for a Fiero getrag bellhousing.

The 6 spd swap is new, I believe Archie poineered it and sells the swap kits. You're looking at over $3000 last time I remember checking, and I think that was without tranny.
scorpion693

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2008 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scorpion693Send a Private Message to scorpion693Direct Link to This Post
thank you this is a good start, i guess im leaning more toward the 5 speed. I guess im looking to get my rpms down and better mpg. Im running at 3200 rpms at 75mph
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2008 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
You could consider upgrading to another automatic trans with overdrive. 60e's go in fairly easy ( I would say about as easy as a manual) and should net better mileage than manual, at least much lower RPM's.
scorpion693

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2008 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scorpion693Send a Private Message to scorpion693Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

You could consider upgrading to another automatic trans with overdrive. 60e's go in fairly easy ( I would say about as easy as a manual) and should net better mileage than manual, at least much lower RPM's.

where do i get information on this?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2008 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I would do searches, but I am in class right now. Search around for 4t60 or 4t60e upgrade threads, I know they are around. Basically, youll need to do some limited mount/shift selector modifications.

You might also consider a PCM upgrade at this time also, and upgrade to a electronic trans. I dont think this is 100% needed, but nice for other things. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079574.html
Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2008 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
Swapping type of tranies I don't think is a weekend project. If you want a 5 speed Fiero I would just go buy a differnt car; this way you know everything is done correctly from the factory.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock