rear end vibration at 80+mph? by megafreakindeth
Started on: 02-01-2008 12:25 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: James Bond 007 on 02-01-2008 03:38 PM
megafreakindeth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for megafreakindethSend a Private Message to megafreakindethDirect Link to This Post
at about 80 my rear begins to vibrate on my 88gt. its got the fiero store rear control arm kit and the shocks seem ok but arent new(though, have been replaced at some time). dont know how to go about looking into it so i was wondering if there were any common problems.

axles have no(minimal) up and down play when lifted in the air or loaded on the alignment rack, there are those bearing/seal things installed on my trans.
bearings in the rear have no play at all

any ideas would be great.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
If the tires have a lot of miles on them they could be out of balance. As tires wear their balance does change.
Bad tire, Check for bulges or bubbles on the sidewalls.
You could have lost a wheel weight or have a slightly bent wheel. (Did you hit any large pot holes lately?)
Ball joint possibly going bad or just very worn.

Since it is happening only at that high of speed I would look closely at the tires and wheels.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

ZZ4 Powered !!

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 02-01-2008).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
the 2 obvious - are wheel balancing & condition of the struts.
and - for more fun - one will wreck the other. and, there is also ball joint & tie-rod ends - but you'd have other issues with these also - klunks & pushing one way on gas, and the other way off gas.
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
No tie rods on 88
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robert 2:

No tie rods on 88

yeah....I always forget about the 88's.....
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
I agree,one of your tires is out of balance or out of round (slaming on the brakes and laying rubber in the road will do this).You may have thrown a tire weight, (sometimes you will see a discoloration on the edge of the rim where the weight was).Inspect your tires for uneven wear.You might try greaseing the ball joints (if you have them on the 88?).

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock