3800 sc by joesfiero
Started on: 01-26-2008 02:16 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Billybo455 on 01-26-2008 08:28 PM
joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
Hi, Im brand new to this forum, been reading posts on here for a while. I am currently on the lookout for a good l67 to swap into my 85 fiero, just wondering what kind of 1/4 mile times and horsepower I might be looking at. I dont want to go too crazy with the motor, just maybe an underdrive pulley, like a 3.4 or 3.25. I know with the 3.25 I need to put colder plugs in and watch the KR. I have the 4 speed manual from the fiero as well as an Isuzu 5 speed. I dont really want to put the 5 speed in because I may have a lead foot and know that isnt the strongest tranny out there. Would the getrag serve me better for 1/4 mile times over the 4 speed? Anyone with this particular setup please let me know. I may also have some future Qs along the way. Thanks
JOE
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
06invertmini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 06invertminiSend a Private Message to 06invertminiDirect Link to This Post
if you dont mind topping out at like 120 to 125 on the four speed i would use it. oh and also filling up with gas like every four days or so. (depending on highway use, and how hard you drive it) I personally like my four speed gives alot of ppl a surprise when you stage it and launch. but also i dont know how much the four speed will handle either.
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 06invertmini:

if you dont mind topping out at like 120 to 125 on the four speed i would use it. oh and also filling up with gas like every four days or so. (depending on highway use, and how hard you drive it) I personally like my four speed gives alot of ppl a surprise when you stage it and launch. but also i dont know how much the four speed will handle either.

.. and is this from personal experience? How many miles are you getting per gallon with your SC3800? I go a lot longer than 4 days with mine, but that is with driving it only 25 miles per day... maybe even less than that. As far as topping the speed out at 120 - 125, I am not sure because I only had mine in the triple digits once, and I backed off the throttle at 110, but still had plenty of throttle left. I will tell you that 110 is more than fast enough without other mods to vent air from the front end of the car.

Ask anyone that has something other than a stock engine mated to a 4 speed and you will know that the four speed will grenade itself. Mine has not yet, but it should at any moment now.

On a serious note, if you want the best 1/4 mile times, stick with the auto that is stock with the SC3800. It is stronger than any Fiero transmission, and will shift faster than a manual.

Also if you want to go any smaller than a 3.4 pulley, plan on other mods like a cam, rockers, intercooler and the like to make the engine breathe better.
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
i went with a 3.5 pulley to start along with a northstar Tb...this was suggested just to get the engine in and running...plus it gave me time to get use to the new engine set up too...best advice is start simple get it going, drive it to get use to it and go from there... and yes i am running the 4 spd also with no problems yet....tim

[This message has been edited by thismanyfieros (edited 01-26-2008).]

06invertmini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 06invertminiSend a Private Message to 06invertminiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat:

.. and is this from personal experience? How many miles are you getting per gallon with your SC3800? I go a lot longer than 4 days with mine, but that is with driving it only 25 miles per day... maybe even less than that. As far as topping the speed out at 120 - 125, I am not sure because I only had mine in the triple digits once, and I backed off the throttle at 110, but still had plenty of throttle left. I will tell you that 110 is more than fast enough without other mods to vent air from the front end of the car.

Ask anyone that has something other than a stock engine mated to a 4 speed and you will know that the four speed will grenade itself. Mine has not yet, but it should at any moment now.

On a serious note, if you want the best 1/4 mile times, stick with the auto that is stock with the SC3800. It is stronger than any Fiero transmission, and will shift faster than a manual.

Also if you want to go any smaller than a 3.4 pulley, plan on other mods like a cam, rockers, intercooler and the like to make the engine breathe better.

meaning coming from personal experience with a four speed... oh and also like i said before depending on how you drive and or how much highway you drive, and the toping out thing i know that a stock 2.8 with muncie will be around 120 or so but gets there REALLY SLOWLY. Oh and also i know that a muncie will grenade and i have a stock 2.8 and it wasnt hard.

[This message has been edited by 06invertmini (edited 01-26-2008).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
mid 12's and about 250-270whp with a 3.4 pulley and a decent tuner.
joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I guess I will go with the 3.4 pulley since I do want to keep it simple. mid 12s is plenty for now. Also the 4 speed isnt sounding all that bad now either. I do not plan on a lot of highway driving and dont really plan on going 150 mph anytime soon.
-JOE
06invertmini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 06invertminiSend a Private Message to 06invertminiDirect Link to This Post
yes highway driving is where it will get you, but thats kinda the sacrifice with the four speed. has good low down gearing but the 4th gear is the overdrive or so you could say.
Billybo455

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Billybo455Send a Private Message to Billybo455Direct Link to This Post
you live about a hour away from me. if you want you can come check out my setup. it's nothing spectacular. it can just give you an idea of what needs to be done. another somewhat local is 2002z28ss. he's mid project on his. great guy though. if you are interested pm me.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock